ADVERTISEMENT

Q for the Board....

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
I'm starting to line up some head coaches to interview starting next week...anyone in particular you'd like to hear from?

Dave Woodburn... interested to hear how his staff is shaping up. Any new faces or carry over from Cordell? Who is calling plays?

Reactions: mullin17
The homer in me says CG’s Brad Seaburg. How does he continuously reload that program with undersized players and compete at a high level? Or RB’s Mike Noll. McHenry County bias here LOL.

All.... Cyclone Nation would love to hear an interview with new SHG HC John Allison. Much will remain the same with the program but I'm sure Coach will have many surprises in the upcoming season. The Cycs with only three returning starters are going to be tested right away with their week one non con game on the road against 7A Normal Community. Ratsy

Last edited:
Troy McAllister. Does he support his district's proposal to reduce by 50% the athletic eligibility radius for students at private schools?

Rob Zvonar. In his post game comments following his team's loss in the 8A title game, he said, "We came up a little short tonight (against) a school that represents 103 zip codes; we represent three." Does he really believe that Loyola represents 103 zip codes in the same way that LWE represents three? If not, then would he care to clarify his comment?

Tim Racki. Has he been in communication with Genevieve Baisely Atwood from LA in the past month or so?

Derek Leonard. Is he a lifer at Rochester?

I’m sure you have SR’s Marty Hopkins on the list.....I’d also like to hear a Coach Q interview from BR and wonder if this shorts every game thing is a permanent thing or did he realize this isn’t Texas 😀.

Last edited:
How about these names from the IHSFCA 2023 Class

AREER/ACTIVE/ASSISTANT​

Career
Darren Hess, Normal West
Todd Hutchinson - Greenville

Active
Gary Carter - Murphysboro
Fabray Collins - Englewood
Pat Elder - (Cambridge) Ridgewood
Jason Kirby - West Central (Biggsville)
Kurt Simon - Carmi-White County
Rob Zvonar - Lincoln-Way East

Assistant
Charlie Bliss - Maine South
Mike Conlin - Central A & M
Dave Fink - Untiy (Tolono)
Sherman Sampson - Hubbard
Carl Williams, Sr -Simeon

John Allison-SHG, same reason as Ratsy.
Rick Little-Quincy, their offense really impressed me in the 6A playoffs.
Jon Hebb-Springfield, SHS has a chance in his 2nd year to get back in the top 4 of the CS8 after missing the playoffs in 2022.

Reactions: EdgyTim
My list has guys from all around the state of Illinois. In addition to these guys, I'd love to hear from any of the CPS Head Coaches, particiularly schools that are struggling, under funded, and lack numbers and resources. I want to hear how they get kids out, keep them engaged, and how they juggle the perils of life in the city with the athletes.

Ric Arand (Lena-Winslow)
Cullen Welter (Monticello)
David Inserra (Maine South)
Derek Leonard (Rochester)
Mark Grounds (Jacksonville)
Josh Roop (Tri-Valley)
Scott Hamilton (Tolono Unity)
Brad Seaburg (Cary-Grove)
Chris Schremp (Prairie Ridge)
Jeff Reents (Wilmington)
Mike Lalor (Stillman Valley)
Jeff Boyer (Byron)
Joe Ryan (Sycamore)
Mike Noll (Richmond-Burton)
Darrell Crouch (Washington)
Aaron Kunz (Williamsville)
Josh Jostes (Maroa-Forsyth)
Ryan Knox (Athens)
John Konecki (Crete-Monee)
Darren Sunkett (East St. Louis)
Guy Goodlove (Westville)
Bret Kooi (Lemont)
Brad Dixon (Camp Point Central)

My list has guys from all around the state of Illinois. In addition to these guys, I'd love to hear from any of the CPS Head Coaches, particiularly schools that are struggling, under funded, and lack numbers and resources. I want to hear how they get kids out, keep them engaged, and how they juggle the perils of life in the city with the athletes.

Ric Arand (Lena-Winslow)
Cullen Welter (Monticello)
David Inserra (Maine South)
Derek Leonard (Rochester)
Mark Grounds (Jacksonville)
Josh Roop (Tri-Valley)
Scott Hamilton (Tolono Unity)
Brad Seaburg (Cary-Grove)
Chris Schremp (Prairie Ridge)
Jeff Reents (Wilmington)
Mike Lalor (Stillman Valley)
Jeff Boyer (Byron)
Joe Ryan (Sycamore)
Mike Noll (Richmond-Burton)
Darrell Crouch (Washington)
Aaron Kunz (Williamsville)
Josh Jostes (Maroa-Forsyth)
Ryan Knox (Athens)
John Konecki (Crete-Monee)
Darren Sunkett (East St. Louis)
Guy Goodlove (Westville)
Bret Kooi (Lemont)
Brad Dixon (Camp Point Central)
Good call on L-W’s head coach. What a program!

Troy McAllister. Does he support his district's proposal to reduce by 50% the athletic eligibility radius for students at private schools?

Rob Zvonar. In his post game comments following his team's loss in the 8A title game, he said, "We came up a little short tonight (against) a school that represents 103 zip codes; we represent three." Does he really believe that Loyola represents 103 zip codes in the same way that LWE represents three? If not, then would he care to clarify his comment?

Tim Racki. Has he been in communication with Genevieve Baisely Atwood from LA in the past month or so?

Derek Leonard. Is he a lifer at Rochester?
I am going to cut your internet sir

Loser comment. Go kick rocks.

Reactions: jha618 and kwamizee
Troy McAllister. Does he support his district's proposal to reduce by 50% the athletic eligibility radius for students at private schools? Rob Zvonar. "We came up a little short tonight (against) a school that represents 103 zip codes; we represent three."

I almost never post regarding the great private vs public debate. I just wonder about other athletic competitions that feature such a fundamental, baked-in difference (non-boundaried vs boundaried) that result in the reported skewed stats in wins and titles? Anything beyond the Olympics?

Last edited:
Coach Mcnulty ... has built a consistent winning team at 8A Public school way out north. They play with a physicality year in & year out. He has STUDENT Athletes. Still gets really good players with cathloic schools pretty close. He sends a good number (5-10) of kids to the next level (Power 5, G5, FCS, NAIA, D3, JUCO) every year. I steady stream of high end football programs make the drive Warren every year. He is establishing his own legacy ! I think Coach Mcnulty would be a great interview.

Especially egregious because you’re at the doorstep. You’re not in the club yet but crying about being outside there’s not a good look.
What club? Coach Z has the highest winning percentage in IL over the past 20 years, never missed the playoffs and won 3 state championships. If their is a made up club he is definitely in it. You may not like what he said but you can’t take away what he has done at LWE. IMO he is the best coach in Illinois, but I am an East fan so…

Reactions: Alexander32

ramblinman:

I watched every minute of the 8A game but did not hear Zvonar's post-game remarks. While I do not dispute your word Zvonar made the statement, could you please send me a link to a news article capturing Zvonar's response?

Though my memory has faded with age, I do recall Zvonar delivered similar sentiments to media after a loss to Mount Carmel a decade ago, perhaps longer.

When losing to a Catholic school, Zvonar seems to be reading from a script.

ramblinman:

I watched every minute of the 8A game but did not hear Zvonar's post-game remarks. While I do not dispute your word Zvonar made the statement, could you please send me a link to a news article capturing Zvonar's response?

Though my memory has faded with age, I do recall Zvonar delivered similar sentiments to media after a loss to Mount Carmel a decade ago, perhaps longer.

Suntimes definitely had him steering into that territory:

“We came up a little short tonight,” Zvonar said. “They scored 16 points against us in the last eight quarters we played them and we scored three. They have all-star players and an all-star coaching staff.

Of course, who knows what else he said as the article only provided the single quote. And I suppose he could have just been pointing out that they're pretty good and not much more. And I suppose I might just have been triggered by all the "all-star" language that is often used to troll LA on this site. So shrug.

Last edited:
ramblinman:

https://news.scorebooklive.com/illi...-to-win-fourth-illinois-football-championship

I'm starting to line up some head coaches to interview starting next week...anyone in particular you'd like to hear from?

How about SFHS coach Bob McMillen? He's done very well at SF and the Spartans are heading back to the Catholic League next year. He might have something interesting to say about his record and the transition to the CCL.

"It means everything," Zvonar said. "It's the goal of everybody in high school football. It's the hardest accomplishment in high school sports, getting to an 8A state championship. These guys have been here three of the last five years. I couldn't be prouder of them. We came up a little short tonight (against) a school that represents 103 zip codes; we represent three. We're proud to be here and battle them to the end."

"It means everything," Zvonar said. "It's the goal of everybody in high school football. It's the hardest accomplishment in high school sports, getting to an 8A state championship. These guys have been here three of the last five years. I couldn't be prouder of them. We came up a little short tonight (against) a school that represents 103 zip codes; we represent three. We're proud to be here and battle them to the end."
That’s more zip codes than St Louis. 😂

What club? Coach Z has the highest winning percentage in IL over the past 20 years, never missed the playoffs and won 3 state championships. If their is a made up club he is definitely in it. You may not like what he said but you can’t take away what he has done at LWE. IMO he is the best coach in Illinois, but I am an East fan so…
Coach Z is amazing! I believe Inserra has a higher winning percentage though.

Reactions: Gene K.
I wonder how close it is to 103 zip codes?

ENROLLMENT With approximately 2,000 students (478 seniors) enrolled in grades 9-12, Loyola is the largest Jesuit college preparatory high school in the United States. Loyola draws students of diverse backgrounds from over 200 elementary schools throughout Chicago (42%) and its suburbs (58%). Grant aid is available to students based on need. In 2022-2023, approximately $5.6 million in aid was awarded to 30% of the student body. This financial commitment supports students from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds at Loyola Academy.

I wonder how close it is to 103 zip codes?

ENROLLMENT With approximately 2,000 students (478 seniors) enrolled in grades 9-12, Loyola is the largest Jesuit college preparatory high school in the United States. Loyola draws students of diverse backgrounds from over 200 elementary schools throughout Chicago (42%) and its suburbs (58%). Grant aid is available to students based on need. In 2022-2023, approximately $5.6 million in aid was awarded to 30% of the student body. This financial commitment supports students from diverse socioeconomic backgrounds at Loyola Academy.
I think it probably varies from year to year. The reality is that the zip codes for Glenview, Wilmette, Northfield, Northbrook, Winnetka and Evanston probably make up over 50% of the student body. Add in a few zips on the far N and NW sides of Chicago, and that number probably goes up to 66%.

I think it probably varies from year to year. The reality is that the zip codes for Glenview, Wilmette, Northfield, Northbrook, Winnetka and Evanston probably make up over 50% of the student body. Add in a few zips on the far N and NW sides of Chicago, and that number probably goes up to 66%.
So coach Z was right! LMAO

I’m surprised that Beast fans and Coach Z are complaining about this. Back in the day here in Edgyland there was a LWE fan who would say “to be the best you have to beat the best, hack it or pack it! Ahh the good old days! Anyway I could be wrong here but I don’t remember Hollywood fans complaining in 2017 about the studs Beast got from LWN. Just saying.

Matt Miller - Saint Ignatius - Coaching at what might be the most difficult school to gain admission that has football

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT