ADVERTISEMENT

Pretty wiped but a quick recap from today's NIU games?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
MC had a new look on offense but are still running the ball a ton.

Hope got beat by a lopsided score but will win a lot of games this year. They have some real talent this season and will be a handful in 1A

St Laurence just seemed like a pretty inexpereicned team but also will get better and has the makings of becoming pretty good.

Alot to like about Benet today, starting with QB Gillespie and the defense.

Lockport killed themselves with dropped passes all night. Fought hard for a half hung in but just couldn't keep up with Provi.

Provi was a bit on and off early then was able to get out of the gates early in the second half and never looked back. Big line decent skills could become a Provi team that could struggle to a 6-3/5-4 but get better and better each week and be a tough out in the playoffs.

Reactions: RockSoup
For St Laurence, I believe that today's QB (18) is a SOPH and the RB (28) and WR (84) with the most touches (at least from what I remember) are both Sophs as well. The Defense is mainly underclassmen - I'm guessing 9 of the 11 starters were non-Seniors. We Be OK!!

Last edited:
Reactions: kitty_bintingot
Yeah, Edgy, that's a lot of games, a lot of concentration. But you were the first to jump on Rice's band wagon. Good, early call.

Last edited:
Rad threw 17 passes in 3 quarters in an offense plan that I’m sure was kept pretty vanilla with 2 of the States best coming up. That is about 9 passes over the normal for MC. I’m thinking they’ll throw 24-27 passes a game. Rad and Kyle ran the ball well. Defense is going to be great this year, not a lot of respect being given to them.

No need to pull the plug. Just find better week one match ups to invite to play. Tons of schools would love the opportunity to play at NIU.

How about JCA-St. Rita, Hinsdale Central-Naperville Central, Stevenson-Palatine next year if those 3 games are still on for next season? That would be a fun 3 games.

Reactions: superac777
I would love to see some teams from the south come up and play some of the teams from the western Burbs. Their must be enough sponsorship money to make something like that happen with charter buses and hotel rooms for Friday nite?

Some sample matchups of teams that have never met or haven’t Met in a long long time.

* Edwardsville vs Naperville Central
* ESL vs Neuqua
* SHG vs GBW
* Rochester vs Waubonsie.

I’ve been to the Soldier Field KO classic most of the years in the last decade and I went to the NIU one last night for the PC LP game.

Even with the construction on 88, I was surprised that the NIU experience was better than (or just as good as) watching at Soldier Field and would not mind if NIU became an annual Kick Off destination. Props to the NIU staff.

I almost always agree with Edgy but not this time.Hope & Larry will be lucky to win 4 games max & make the Prep Bowl playoffs if they're lucky

How about JCA-St. Rita, Hinsdale Central-Naperville Central, Stevenson-Palatine next year if those 3 games are still on for next season? That would be a fun 3 games.

As this is a CCL organized and run event, that interesting proposition is not likely.

Make the Kickoff Classic an ESCC - CCL showdown. 3 games Friday, 4 Saturday, 3 Sunday.

St.Viator/Marmion
Marist/BR
St.Pats/PC
JCA/SR
Naz/MC
Benet/LA
COM/Montini
Niles ND/STL
Chicago Marian/DLS
Woodstock Marian/Fenwick
If some of the rumblings that seem to be picking up steam have any truth to them, a lot of those teams may be in the same conference next year or the year after. Sounds like the Catholic superconference May again be on the table.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cross Bones
If some of the rumblings that seem to be picking up steam have any truth to them, a little t of those teams may be in the same conference next year or the year after. Sounds like the Catholic superconference May again be on the table.
Agreed, word on the street is it will be football only just like the old CMC.

Reactions: HighSchooldad
For St Laurence, I believe that today's QB (18) is a SOPH and the RB (28) and WR (84) with the most touches (at least from what I remember) are both Sophs as well. The Defense is mainly underclassmen - I'm guessing 9 of the 11 starters were non-Seniors. We Be OK!!
That is correct. 5 Sophs started on O. There are fewer than 10 seniors on the team.

If some of the rumblings that seem to be picking up steam have any truth to them, a lot of those teams may be in the same conference next year or the year after. Sounds like the Catholic superconference May again be on the table.
While I liked the CMC, I just don't know why it would happen now. The ESCC has a good number, good scheduling, and competitive balance. I know the CCL and smaller privates have their scheduling issues, but I wonder how many ESCC schools would vote to break up and go back to a CMC model.

While I liked the CMC, I just don't know why it would happen now. The ESCC has a good number, good scheduling, and competitive balance. I know the CCL and smaller privates have their scheduling issues, but I wonder how many ESCC schools would vote to break up and go back to a CMC model.
I think Marist needs it more than people think. Kids from the south want to play against their friends at BR, MC & SR. Take a look at their sophomore team numbers. I know numbers are down across the board but I believe they only had 27 on sophomore team, this froma school that’s at maximum capacity. The kids they are targeting, the football players at least from the SouthSide Catholic grammar schools, are choosing the other schools.

I think Marist needs it more than people think. Kids from the south want to play against their friends at BR, MC & SR. Take a look at their sophomore team numbers. I know numbers are down across the board but I believe they only had 27 on sophomore team, this froma school that’s at maximum capacity. The kids they are targeting, the football players at least from the SouthSide Catholic grammar schools, are choosing the other schools.
Numbers are down a bit from the 50 freshman on the team last year, but 4 are up on varsity and a few others are injured (at least are 2 non-football related). All were starters last year. So about 35-36 sophs total in the program. Not bad relative to many others, but not great either. Marist will continue to attract top quality students and athletes, in good numbers, regardless of it's conference affiliation. It's the full HS experience that matters.

I think combining is more for the smaller :non-competitive" schools
Schools like Leo, Marian Catholic, Hope, or St. Joes playing crossovers vs. Provi or Rice does nothing for either school besides giving a win to PC/Rice.

Combining moves the schedule to more competitive matchups in the non-competitive, middle tier, and big boy league.
This is where one of the issues of the old CMC come into play.
Where is he cutoff for the Big Boy/Mid/ Low tier leagues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT