ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Classification Question

Formicidae13

Aug 9, 2019
Anybody know what would happen if two schools have the exact same enrollment and the IHSA needs to separate them into two different classes?
I am looking at the IHSA's current playoff outlook and if the playoffs started today, both Chicago(Amundsen) and Antioch have 1335 as their enrollment and one would have to down to 5A since East Side will push one of them down.

Not sure, but I’m guessing they would follow the same tie breaking criteria used to determine qualifiers. So, you have two or more already qualified (of the 256 teams) that have the same enrollment and there cannot be a tie. The team with the best record goes first. If records are the same, then it’s playoff points. If still tied, it goes to whatever and eventually a coin flip. Once all that is done, they draw the lines: 32, 64, 96.., of course, none of this would matter unless the tied by enrollment teams were on the line (32, 64, 96, etc). Make sense?

Reactions: Formicidae13
Anybody know what would happen if two schools have the exact same enrollment and the IHSA needs to separate them into two different classes?
I am looking at the IHSA's current playoff outlook and if the playoffs started today, both Chicago(Amundsen) and Antioch have 1335 as their enrollment and one would have to down to 5A since East Side will push one of them down.
There are multiple layers of tiebreakers already written in the bylaws no idea where and in many cases its simply a coin flip....or whatever the computer version is of a coin flip

Reactions: Formicidae13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT