ADVERTISEMENT

Play of the day

Wassup13

Nov 9, 2002
Has everyone seen it???

Just search "Samson Evans" on youtube

Shoooooootttt .... if Althoff did it, it would get called.
1exft025fuhlb99zky8q1ywmtjkp4ux

A penalty is a penalty. I can never understand the theory of not throwing a flag at a critical point in a game. What’s the point of having officials?

Reactions: CGsupporter
Perhaps, but it should have been thrown.

Replayed the video, interesting, even before #77 appears to hold CG #31, looked like PR #66 pushed CG #21 in back and out of play, seemed #21 had at least an outside shot slowing runner before being pushed in back.

So two debatable penalties in same play. Sort of feels like Michael Jordan in his prime, where refs in tight games gave his Airness benefit of doubt on double dribbles, palming and traveling, because after all, he was The Airness.

... and after all, we're talking about Superman. He is electrifying and so was the run.

Replayed the video, interesting, even before #77 appears to hold CG player, looked like PR #66 pushed CG #31 in back and out of play, seemed 31 had at least an outside shot slowing runner before being pushed in back.

So two debatable penalties in same play. Sort of feels like Michael Jordan in his prime, where refs in tight games gave his Airness benefit of doubt on double dribbles, palming and traveling, because after all, he was The Airness.

... and after all, we're talking about Superman. He is electrifying and so was the run.
The perfect film footage for a legendary career...

Incredible footage. That was awesome. I feel like Evans beat the kid who was held before he was held. Slippery field... that’s a tough flag to throw. C-G wishes they threw the flag. I’m glad they didn’t. Legendary.

Reactions: Relist8
66's block is fine. The defender is turned and despite that the block is to the side (at least enough to the side from that angle).

As for 77: Here's where we make the big dollars. The reason why I think it's not a hold is because the actual hold occurred after Samson was by the defender. L has a good look at it. Theoretically U or R should have a half decent look at it. Maybe BJ if nothing else is ahead of that. I'm OK with no flag and I see why CG would want a flag for it,...

Nothing we can do now. PR needs to worry about Willowbrook now. Why? Because Beth Long has them ranked in her top 20.

The one game that intrigues me about Willowbrook is they played a good Hinsdale Central team close.

This game is Jessen vs Evans

So, knowing that Provi is prone to the penalty bug, we had a crew at Richards that didn’t call anything. They let the kids play, and I appreciated it immensely.

Maybe that crew worked this game, or maybe there are more groups that let the kids decide the game, not their calls.

Gooms,

Look at the video again, 31 is starting to engage with 22 when 77 tackles him. It may be over and theres nothing that can be done now, but it was close enough it should have been called.

66's block is fine. The defender is turned and despite that the block is to the side (at least enough to the side from that angle).

As for 77: Here's where we make the big dollars. The reason why I think it's not a hold is because the actual hold occurred after Samson was by the defender. L has a good look at it. Theoretically U or R should have a half decent look at it. Maybe BJ if nothing else is ahead of that. I'm OK with no flag and I see why CG would want a flag for it,...

Gooms,

Look at the video again, 31 is starting to engage with 22 when 77 tackles him. It may be over and theres nothing that can be done now, but it was close enough it should have been called.
Skol (31) has his left hand on Evan's left foot. Could he have had his right hand on there too if 77 wasn't holding it? Who knows?

Skol (31) has his left hand on Evan's left foot. Could he have had his right hand on there too if 77 wasn't holding it? Who knows?
It happened so damn fast and I can see it being missed, but man there it is in full color. Oh well.

No watch the replay again, not the picture. 31 is beginning his tackle as he is getting tackled by 77.

What is mind blowing to me is your down late in the game and that is the play you call? Talk about confidence in Superman! Wow!

Reactions: Wassup13
Ok my opinion, it's a hold, but that is not a block in the back.

Angles gentlemen, it's all about angles. The HL now has ball carrier, so he won't see it. The U or R might be screened or did not have good angles. either way remember this.

There are two types of officials, those who have missed a call and those that are about to.

Angles gentlemen, it's all about angles. The HL now has ball carrier, so he won't see it. The U or R might be screened or did not have good angles. either way remember this.

There are two types of officials, those who have missed a call and those that are about to.
I like you Ref2. Always honest.

I try.

What gets me the most is when someone says that an official does, or doesn't make a call at the end of a game because it would decide the contest. I call BS on that. If you let that enter your mind you have decided the game. Your job is to call what you see. and that's it. If you see something you call it, that is NOT deciding the game, the players decided it by committing or not committing the infraction.
Like the basketball analogy. Calling or not calling a foul. If it's a foul call it, the player decided the game by committing the foul, your job is to call it.

I try.

What gets me the most is when someone says that an official does, or doesn't make a call at the end of a game because it would decide the contest. I call BS on that. If you let that enter your mind you have decided the game. Your job is to call what you see. and that's it. If you see something you call it, that is NOT deciding the game, the players decided it by committing or not committing the infraction.
Like the basketball analogy. Calling or not calling a foul. If it's a foul call it, the player decided the game by committing the foul, your job is to call it.
Hey, I get it and I understand your angles comment. I’m a CG homer and it hurts but nothing we can do. I guess it hurts even more when the photographer saw it and all the CG faithful see it the newspaper.

Ref2,

frame by frame holding call seems easy to see, but real-speed, I can see how difficult these type of plays can be for HSFB officials, especially without benefit of instant replay from the booth.

No questions re 77 / 31 contact.

Question on 66 / 21 apparent push in back.

66 had, as you said, a legal blocking angle on 21's side, but 66 finished off block with arms fully extended into 21's back.

21 subsequently was pushed (not a lot), but enough to get taken out of position to get back to RB22 (or so it looked like to me).

So I get it that 66 started the block legally, but push in back, with arms extended, didn't look kosher.

Was it a legal block because player had correct angle to start the block and then push after was considered just a continuation of a legal block?

When is it ok for blocker to extend hand(s) and arms into back of an opponent who appears to be involved in making a play on ball carrier?

Thank you for commenting and thank you for your service to HSFB.

It's legal from my angle on the film because it is a continuation of a legal block. Once contact is made it is legal as long as the players stay engaged. If a player is being blocked legally and turns and the blocker continues the block it stays legal.

Even if a player is not engaged and the opponent turns as he starts his block it would be legal.

If you understand what I am saying

What is mind blowing to me is your down late in the game and that is the play you call? Talk about confidence in Superman! Wow!
Agreed completely. There can't be many teams that would call that play on their own 35 or so with 19 seconds left!

Agreed completely. There can't be many teams that would call that play on their own 35 or so with 19 seconds left!

A running team called a play where their best ball carrier is being lead by their best lineman. It's the only play call to make in that situation. Anything else is rolling the dice.

A running team called a play where their best ball carrier is being lead by their best lineman. It's the only play call to make in that situation. Anything else is rolling the dice.
Perhaps - but have seen a lot of running teams stray from their strengths at less critical times than this. Another reason I'm a fan of the PR coaches - they stick with what works for them.

Reactions: LHSTigers94
He (Superman) scored on that QB counter a couple times in last year's 6A Championship game.
As a casual fan of TO football, I'd say that is PR's 'go to' with Superman as their QB. In other years, it may be a full counter-option where a pitch is made on the edge with pulling linemen with the hope that the safety can't run the alley and get to the #3 (pitch).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT