ADVERTISEMENT

Play of the day

Perhaps - but have seen a lot of running teams stray from their strengths at less critical times than this. Another reason I'm a fan of the PR coaches - they stick with what works for them.

Probably why they are defending state champs. You go with what got you there.

He (Superman) scored on that QB counter a couple times in last year's 6A Championship game.
As a casual fan of TO football, I'd say that is PR's 'go to' with Superman as their QB. In other years, it may be a full counter-option where a pitch is made on the edge with pulling linemen and the hopes that the safety can't run the alley and get to the #3 (pitch).

From long distance in the championship game last year. That is where I saw the big lineman can move.

He (Superman) scored on that QB counter a couple times in last year's 6A Championship game.
As a casual fan of TO football, I'd say that is PR's 'go to' with Superman as their QB. In other years, it may be a full counter-option where a pitch is made on the edge with pulling linemen and the hopes that the safety can't run the alley and get to the #3 (pitch).

A running team called a play where their best ball carrier is being lead by their best lineman. It's the only play call to make in that situation. Anything else is rolling the dice.
His longest run prior to that play was like 20-25 yards. He was getting stuffed the entire second half; in fact the whole team was. To go to it when they weren’t running well was gutsy.

Listen,
It was a great game and we were beat by a great player, and good team. I am eating my humble pie. No one on our sideline was yelling for a hold when it happened.

PR's head coach gift wrapped us the upset with the option fumble. Why would you pitch to the short side when you only needed to run clock and kick. We had 1 time out left, which we would have used. You punt, you pin us down inside the 20 with about 2:20 left. But hey, Chris is stubborn and refuses to open up the offense with some downfield passing. Some food for thought as to why that play worked for PR...we didn't have the numbers in the box and they had us spread out. Amazing Samson is Super when he has space.

superman_by_ourlak-d5qx1e0.jpg

Congrats to Samson on an outstanding HS career. We were the only Fox Valley team to beat him while has was the QB for PR the last 3 years.

Trojan Fox, you bring up some very good points. I talked to a group of Dad's that were actually sitting on the Cary side and not one word was brought up about any type of holding penalty during that play. Secondly, it is looking like some major growing pains at PR when that "once in a Generation" group of Seniors graduates. Be curious to see if the "No Fly Zone" will continue at PR.

His longest run prior to that play was like 20-25 yards. He was getting stuffed the entire second half; in fact the whole team was. To go to it when they weren’t running well was gutsy.

Last year I wouldn't care if Jeff Thomas hadn't caught a pass the entire game. Last play would be designed to get him the ball in the best position possible.

To be clear, that play was stuffed as well. Unfortunate but it happens.

Listen,
It was a great game and we were beat by a great player, and good team. I am eating my humble pie. No one on our sideline was yelling for a hold when it happened.

PR's head coach gift wrapped us the upset with the option fumble. Why would you pitch to the short side when you only needed to run clock and kick. We had 1 time out left, which we would have used. You punt, you pin us down inside the 20 with about 2:20 left. But hey, Chris is stubborn and refuses to open up the offense with some downfield passing. Some food for thought as to why that play worked for PR...we didn't have the numbers in the box and they had us spread out. Amazing Samson is Super when he has space.

superman_by_ourlak-d5qx1e0.jpg

Congrats to Samson on an outstanding HS career. We were the only Fox Valley team to beat him while has was the QB for PR the last 3 years.
Pretty sure "stubborn Chris" used the pass to beat you in the first game of the year last year. Also if its the last two minutes and you are looking for 1 first down you run your offense, for a TO team a pitch is as routine as a FB dive is for most teams. You run your full offense and try to get that first down.

Pretty sure "stubborn Chris" used the pass to beat you in the first game of the year last year. Also if its the last two minutes and you are looking for 1 first down you run your offense, for a TO team a pitch is as routine as a FB dive is for most teams. You run your full offense and try to get that first down.

Ha!
No kidding he did, hence why I don't understand why he didn't try again. PR running did not move the ball after their first two drives. No argument you go for the first down. No argument you run what got you there, but you pitch to the short side of the field in mud??? 32 gets pushed out of bounds you save us the time out and you still have to punt. I recall watching a Montini game not to long ago when that exact same play call cost PR the possibility for making this a possible 3 peat opportunity. Same game, stubborn gave up a big lead when it looked as if the game was in hand.

Ha!
No kidding he did, hence why I don't understand why he didn't try again. PR running did not move the ball after their first two drives. No argument you go for the first down. No argument you run what got you there, but you pitch to the short side of the field in mud??? 32 gets pushed out of bounds you save us the time out and you still have to punt. I recall watching a Montini game not to long ago when that exact same play call cost PR the possibility for making this a possible 3 peat opportunity. Same game, stubborn gave up a big lead when it looked as if the game was in hand.
No point to pass the ball much this year. CG was a better team last year than they were this year, Didn't need to get outside their comfort zone to win either game. If i am going to lose a lead I am going to lose it running my offense, not looking for a big play on a play type that is the weakest part of my offense. Just my thoughts.

No point to pass the ball much this year. CG was a better team last year than they were this year, Didn't need to get outside their comfort zone to win either game. If i am going to lose a lead I am going to lose it running my offense, not looking for a big play on a play type that is the weakest part of my offense. Just my thoughts.

If we were a worse team this year...then you weren't as good either. They beat us by a total of 5 points and one can argue we out played PR both times. Yes, I know we lost, but a Missed xtra point in game one or we don't drop our wide open fake punt PR starts their year 0-1. Take away the Samson Hail Mary run with 19 secs...PR's scratching their head knowing their last two playoff loses were directly related to pitching the ball late in the 4th quarter for no reason...to the short side of the field both times.

I didn't imply to become a run-n-shoot offense, I just said open it up and throw a few times. It will open up the lanes for Gilbransen and Evans. Hey worked well for us against you and your qb throws better.

But hey, good luck to PR, I do hope they win it all. Next couple years, I feel we will be better than them.

Reactions: Gene K.
If we were a worse team this year...then you weren't as good either. They beat us by a total of 5 points and one can argue we out played PR both times. Yes, I know we lost, but a Missed xtra point in game one or we don't drop our wide open fake punt PR starts their year 0-1. Take away the Samson Hail Mary run with 19 secs...PR's scratching their head knowing their last two playoff loses were directly related to pitching the ball late in the 4th quarter for no reason...to the short side of the field both times.

I didn't imply to become a run-n-shoot offense, I just said open it up and throw a few times. It will open up the lanes for Gilbransen and Evans. Hey worked well for us against you and your qb throws better.

But hey, good luck to PR, I do hope they win it all. Next couple years, I feel we will be better than them

I agree that pitching to the short side of the field is puzzling, but im wondering if they had match ups they were looking to exploit or if by formation they had numbers going that way due to a tendency? as far as passing, A big part of TO passing is the TE, without Ferbet its a bit more difficult to pass for them. Either way it was two great games and I cant wait for next years game!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT