ADVERTISEMENT

Palatine v Neuqua

NapervilleBuck

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
I know very little about the Pirates. Can anyone gimme a breakdown of what to expect?

Very good team speed, but a bit undersized on the lines. Physical style of play that results in some opponents getting a bit rattled. However, this aggressiveness has led to some execution breakdowns, and that is where you see some of these shocking losses that they have had. Soph RB Ball and Senior WR Bostick are their top two athletes and playmakers, but Bostick has been out for some time now (week 2 or 3 I believe?). If this becomes a shootout with NV, I don't like their chances. Pirates need to keep it close and slow down the NV offense as much as they can. They also need to "not get cute" on offense and keep it simple. If Palatine plays to their potential this will be a fun one (i.e. the MS game).

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
Thanks for that. These teams sound fairly similar. NV isn't the biggest but their team speed is definitely an asset. The back 7 on D is swarming and their DL, while undersized, is very aggressive. A creatively designed game plan to play against that aggressiveness is what Naper North did in their rematch. Misdirection throws, play fakes and quick hitting throws over the middle, etc. were their key to keeping the NV D off balance.

My main issue with them is stupid penalties and the lack of creativity on O. They rely too heavily at times on QB1s ability to roll out and find an open receiver. This often ends up in taking bad sacks that puts them way behind the chains. The Cats have a big sledgehammer RB in McGee but also rotate in smaller, fast, and shifty backs like Domschke and Larkin. They utilize that speed and typically run them outside the tackles. The wideouts are a strength. Larkin, Sessa, and TE1 are all stretch the field kids with tons of football smarts.

St Chuck N beat them pretty easy albeit it was the first game of the year. North is 7A and did not make the playoffs..
They started out 0-2 as they were trying to figure out their offensive line the first two games, once they did they've gone 7-1 since.

Overall, I'd say they're enigmatic. They are absolutely loaded with talent, but often don't play up to their level.

The Taft, Hoffman Estates, and Barrington games are all good examples.
- They were losing to Taft 17-14 mid 3rd quarter before they decided to wake up and they played up to their level the rest of the game
- Hoffman Estates they had a 15-7 lead at halftime and I remember being really worried because they should have had a couple more TDs and the way HE can score I figured that would come back to bite them. But, they came out in the 2nd half on fire and put up another 28 points to waltz to victory
- Barrington they were down 10-3 seconds before halftime, had just got stopped at the goal line trying to score, and had looked lackluster in the first half. Barrington fumbles in the endzone and Palatine recovers and scores, and winds up scoring the last 24 points of the game for a comfortable margin of victory.

The opposite of that was the Maine South game. They were focused and sharp all game, got really creative with play calling, and played inspired defense to keep Maine South out of the endzone in the 4th quarter and handed them their only loss of the year.

So, it depends who shows up or how soon they get going in the game. Since it's Neuqua Valley and a big game against a big time team, I think(hope?) they'll come out like the Maine South game and play a solid four quarters.

One phenomenal RB and a really strong backup RB. Good QB but needs to take less sacks. Great defense, (great LB group, great DBs) -very bend but don't break(Conant game excepted). When they're on they play very aggressively and with a chip on their shoulder.

If they play to the top of their abilities they could beat anyone, but I suppose that's the same for anyone left at this point.

Thanks for that. These teams sound fairly similar. NV isn't the biggest but their team speed is definitely an asset. The back 7 on D is swarming and their DL, while undersized, is very aggressive. A creatively designed game plan to play against that aggressiveness is what Naper North did in their rematch. Misdirection throws, play fakes and quick hitting throws over the middle, etc. were their key to keeping the NV D off balance.

My main issue with them is stupid penalties and the lack of creativity on O. They rely too heavily at times on QB1s ability to roll out and find an open receiver. This often ends up in taking bad sacks that puts them way behind the chains. The Cats have a big sledgehammer RB in McGee but also rotate in smaller, fast, and shifty backs like Domschke and Larkin. They utilize that speed and typically run them outside the tackles. The wideouts are a strength. Larkin, Sessa, and TE1 are all stretch the field kids with tons of football smarts.
Neuqua -10 money line -310

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
They started out 0-2 as they were trying to figure out their offensive line the first two games, once they did they've gone 7-1 since.

Overall, I'd say they're enigmatic. They are absolutely loaded with talent, but often don't play up to their level.

The Taft, Hoffman Estates, and Barrington games are all good examples.
- They were losing to Taft 17-14 mid 3rd quarter before they decided to wake up and they played up to their level the rest of the game
- Hoffman Estates they had a 15-7 lead at halftime and I remember being really worried because they should have had a couple more TDs and the way HE can score I figured that would come back to bite them. But, they came out in the 2nd half on fire and put up another 28 points to waltz to victory
- Barrington they were down 10-3 seconds before halftime, had just got stopped at the goal line trying to score, and had looked lackluster in the first half. Barrington fumbles in the endzone and Palatine recovers and scores, and winds up scoring the last 24 points of the game for a comfortable margin of victory.

The opposite of that was the Maine South game. They were focused and sharp all game, got really creative with play calling, and played inspired defense to keep Maine South out of the endzone in the 4th quarter and handed them their only loss of the year.

So, it depends who shows up or how soon they get going in the game. Since it's Neuqua Valley and a big game against a big time team, I think(hope?) they'll come out like the Maine South game and play a solid four quarters.

One phenomenal RB and a really strong backup RB. Good QB but needs to take less sacks. Great defense, (great LB group, great DBs) -very bend but don't break(Conant game excepted). When they're on they play very aggressively and with a chip on their shoulder.

If they play to the top of their abilities they could beat anyone, but I suppose that's the same for anyone left at this point.
Thanks for the insight. It certainly sounds like these two teams are cut from the same cloth. Should be a good one.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT