ADVERTISEMENT

Paging DougtheThug

I need my Rockford area breakdown before completing 6-7A brackets.
I'll give my best stab at this. I still follow the Rockford area scene to an extent.

7A.
LWC rolls Rockford East. I would be surprised if this was close. East is OK, first time they've made the playoffs since 2001. There's some team speed, some size, but nothing that's going to make a difference.
Hononegah should beat Harlem by 3-4 scores. Hono only won by 7 in week 9 but they turned the ball over 5 times, week 10 is back at Hono. Hono has switched to a spread offense, have some speed and some size. Went 9-0 this year in conference. Will run into Benet most likely in round 2 at Benet, that should be a good game but I think Benet wins that one.

6A
Belvidere North and Rockford Auburn is probably a toss-up. North is as big as they've ever been, size everywhere. They are an option team, more Cary-Grove then Prairie Ridge, have won 3 in a row to end the year against a soft schedule. Auburn has speed, the size is gone. Auburn won 15-8 in the regular season, but these two teams have had great games the last 3-4 years. I'd probably give this one to Auburn since its at home on turf. Just peeked at Grayslake North who doesn't look overwhelming either, I could see either of these two teams beating Grayslake. A quarterfinal match up against R-B or Hoffman Estates should be a great game, but can't see either Rockford area school beating either of those two.

Not sure anyone out of Rockford is that good right now. The Boylan teams that won state and made late play-off runs in the late 00's and early 10's dismantled people by 30-40 points each week, that just hasn't been the case the last few years. Even the Auburn teams from the last 2-3 years that fell in the QF's played several close games in conference.

Rockford has too many high schools and shrinking enrollments. All the talent is spread out and less kids are playing football. It is going to be difficult to compete at the state level. The following is a list of Rockford schools with football teams:
Rockford Christian
Lutheran
Christian Life - 8 man football
Boylan
East
Jefferson
Guilford
Auburn

Many families have moved north to the Hononegah school district to escape high property taxes and younger people aren't staying in Rockford, which means less kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT