ADVERTISEMENT

Over /under on # of games played ?

Are you asking me, or was that rhetorical. I think there will be many kids and coaches that are positive. IHSA should know this. If they think it would not happen then they are delusional. They should just let the local health departments deal with it and not intervene.

Are you asking me, or was that rhetorical. I think there will be many kids and coaches that are positive. IHSA should know this. If they think it would not happen then they are delusional. They should just let the local health departments deal with it and not intervene.

Well in fairness it’s not the IHSA making them shutdown camp due to the positive tests. That is a school decision in coordination with local health people. There is no IHSA mandate to shutdown with positive cases.

Listen the IHSA didn’t expect 0’s on number of positive cases. Every time 1 or 2 kids get this it doesn’t have to be headline news. I think the IHSA has a number of cases in mind they will proceed with and if it becomes too much of an outbreak, then it will end. Player come positive, they sit, at same as they would an injury but at home not on the sidelines.

Reactions: missingwalter
Well then it was a waste of time starting. You really thought there weren't going to be kids testing positive? How many do you think brought something back from 7on7 and travel tournies held in Texas and Florida in recent weeks?
I was worried about that seeing teams down in hotspots the last two weeks, but there was never going to be 0 in the cases column for HS athletes.
However if the LZ & QND kids just tested positive their exposure would have been during the 1st phase of workouts so contact tracing should be pretty straight forward (assuming they followed protocol). Actually this might be a good thing except for the ones that tested positive. It allows contact tracing in small groups, to find out if they were working as a secondary transmission in the group. We are so far behind in getting this data than other countries at this point, so whatever data is gathered from QND and LZ is crucial.

I must say sporthog9er, you are the epitome of what this virus does to people. All I have to do is read your posts from day to day for evidence. One day you're positive and the next you aren't. That is exactly what is going on all over the place with people.

It's a daily, or maybe I should say, an hourly thing that is a total rollercoaster ride. There is so much misinformation that it has become impossible to sort out what's true and what isn't. One source says cases are spiking in may states and hospital beds are running out. Then, another source says only 15% of the beds being used are for actual Covid patients.

Honestly, I am not paying much attention to it anymore and haven't written about it here for weeks before this post. I know it's real. But I am tired of all the conflicting reports and seeing it used for political reasons. That's just not right.

Based upon the sh*tstorm created with yesterday's school-reopening rhetoric, it seems like starting schools with a high percentage of in-person learning will be needed to permit any HS football season, and that will be a tough ask. I know one is conducted indoors and the other out, but do we really think a contact sport will be allowed without a close-to-normal academic plan for the school week? Furthermore, with the FB start date of 8/10, the return-to-school plan seemingly must be in place beforehand - and that is only about 30 days away. Are we sensing a delay in the season start?

My sons are grown but if they weren't, I would not want my kids to be educated via video learning. I just don't think they would get the full educational experience which comes from in school learning. Social interactions between students helps the kids learn about other cultures. I certainly would not pay tuition at a private school for video learning unless it was a guaranteed short term solution.

Just heard an interesting anecdotal story about a female teacher trying to get some guidance about her maternity leave decision in a multi-school south suburban HS district. She was told total remote learning looked mostly likely at this point due to the safety issues of bringing the whole student body back and complexities of any hybrid plans.

Interesting read from a country with schools open already. Sadly other countries are the only source for information since we closed schools and don’t seem to want to reopen. not from a news source it is a report of the academic study.

https://www.rivm.nl/en/novel-coronavirus-covid-19/children-and-covid-19

this chart is in the report that shows the number of secondary infections from a patient based on age.

Reactions: sporthog9er
I don't know how you can't bring the students back. It creates so many problems. I want to know what parents have done and will do who have to work but have no child care for their kids who would normally be in school. I know more people are still working from home. But a lot of people are going back to work too. Every parent does have some kind of summer plan. But I am sure most of them are scrambling to figure out something in the fall, just like they did in spring.

Then what about the low income kids who eat at the school? I know some schools that have gone to pick up services. But what if someone doesn't have a ride? The parents won't just let their kids starve. But, if parents can't work, what do they do?

Reactions: jforney2440
I don't know how you can't bring the students back. It creates so many problems. I want to know what parents have done and will do who have to work but have no child care for their kids who would normally be in school. I know more people are still working from home. But a lot of people are going back to work too. Every parent does have some kind of summer plan. But I am sure most of them are scrambling to figure out something in the fall, just like they did in spring.

Then what about the low income kids who eat at the school? I know some schools that have gone to pick up services. But what if someone doesn't have a ride? The parents won't just let their kids starve. But, if parents can't work, what do they do?

This. LTHS I 100% agree without a doubt. I don’t think theres’s a chance in hell there isn’t a “mostly” in person schooling this year, especially in IL where we have proper testing capacity and hopefully our contact tracing will catch up.

I expect HS varsity football in IL this year. Could I see cutting freshman and/or JV levels? Sure I can see that. I don’t see how there isn’t IHSA varsity football games by the 1st weekend in September.

Let’s also keep 1 thing in mind.. We’ve got a full fledged guinea pig this month and into next to see what happens with FL. We know its young bar and restaurant goers catching it in FL from data. Will the death rate catch up from Johnny or Susie infecting grandma? I hope by end of July we should be seeing a trend if yes or no. If FL death rate stays low, i think that’s valuable data.

Still planing to go to St. Pete’s at the end of August. IDGAF ... I can just chill at the beach and the pool and carry out at my fave restaurants and rad books and turn off my phone. In fact, as long as I can use the beach and pool, go ahead and shut it down.

Reactions: LTHSALUM76
With the Spring sports, this all just kinda landed on us and they cancelled the season because everything was unknown...they’ve had almost 4 months now to research and come up with a plan. They keep approving phases that makes us think we are going in the right direction but gloom still is out there...every time something is reported it’s like Chicken Little. So if they know there is no way we are kicking off next month, just pull the damn plug and give these kids, Coaches and families some damn peace of mind no matter what the news is...enough is enough

With the Spring sports, this all just kinda landed on us and they cancelled the season because everything was unknown...they’ve had almost 4 months now to research and come up with a plan. They keep approving phases that makes us think we are going in the right direction but gloom still is out there...every time something is reported it’s like Chicken Little. So if they know there is no way we are kicking off next month, just pull the damn plug and give these kids, Coaches and families some damn peace of mind no matter what the news is...enough is enough
Agreed, I said in another thread in June that I think they are planning on the season barring a significant spike and they just couldn't commit to saying that because of there was a new spike they would catch all kind of heat and if they knew it was unlikely that the need to just do it - pull the plug. Unless the almighty $$$ is coming into play so they are trying to control/eliminate transfers out of state and keep enrollments

I agree. But, I don't think they have made a decision yet. I do understand what you're saying. As soon as they know, they should go public with it instead of knowing and not telling people. That tactic is done by design. If it is a decision not to play, they don't want to give anyone time to resist, protest, etc. It may, very likely, be a last minute decision.

State of New Mexico announces their 2 HS fall contact sports of football and soccer to be postponed until the spring semester. No season flip-flops announced at this time. Very different situation in several ways from IL, but interesting nevertheless.

Reactions: Zebra
New Mexico always has nice weather which helps. I don't think things are going to be much better in spring.

Reactions: Zebra
Here's a doozy. Joliet District 204 is either going to be full time remote learning or ONE day in person, 4 days remote learning. Sports anybody?

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT