ADVERTISEMENT

OL vs DL drills with no pads

Kevin JCHS 81

Jul 16, 2005
I don’t know if everybody has the same Rivals Ads in their upper right corner while they are reading the forums, but these ads show almost live drills between OL and DL with no pads except something that looks like a wrestling headgear with padding.

These drills don’t seem very fair to the OL because there is a lot more to blocking than just footwork to stay in their way, that would not be safe doing with no pads.

These drills seem centered around the DL practicing their vast assortment of spinning & swimming moves while being relatively free of retribution.

When in reality they try those fancy spinning moves early in a game and they get rocked into tomorrow, after a few repetitions of that they get mad and start trying to come straight through you, playing right into the OL hands.

As an ex-offensive left tackle, I can tell you the beginning of the game is all about establishing dominance and taking the fighting spirit out of your DL. If they still have too much fight left after being knocked into tomorrow a few times while using their fancy moves, then I would just request the coach run a couple of counters and bring a full speed right tackle train of terror down on then. Nobody I have ever met can keep all of their fighting spirit after all that.

So, I guess I’m asking, is there a point to these drills other than practicing fancy moves and footwork?

As a ex-db I'm just glad they don't have DB drills for taking on and shedding the block of the pulling OL and making the tackle.

Just saying.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of these at all, and my son HATES them. Way too much of an advantage to speed rushers. I have been trying to find more showcases/camps that the lineman pad up. NU is padded.

wish they had the headgear when my son was doing these. Got head-butted on a play and it took 10 stitches to close the cut.

As a ex-db I'm just glad they don't have DB drills for taking on and shedding the block of the pulling OL and making the tackle.

Just saying.
LOL even a fast OL (Tackle) should be fairly easy for a DB to avoid most of the time even if it means taking yourself out of the play. After all Offensive Tackles are not known for their lightning quickness.

And your OL Coach & RB may not be pleased if you trapped a DB and left an unblocked DL or LB.

These drills seem centered around the DL practicing their vast assortment of spinning & swimming moves while being relatively free of retribution.

As an ex-offensive left tackle, I can tell you the beginning of the game is all about establishing dominance and taking the fighting spirit out of your DL. If they still have too much fight left after being knocked into tomorrow a few times while using their fancy moves, then I would just request the coach run a couple of counters and bring a full speed right tackle train of terror down on then. Nobody I have ever met can keep all of their fighting spirit after all that.

Spin moves? Somehow I just don't remember many spin moves done by DL against Wilmington...I remember one Wildcat freshman game where the LT got chewed out because the DE inexplicably tried a inside spin move, creating a gaping hole for the back and a 15 yard gain, because he was supposed to block the DE the other direction...The spin move allowed the LT to drive the DE into the linebacker, creating a much bigger hole than usual, but apparently plugged up the cutback lane...

Not gonna argue that some of the non season work gets a bit ridiculous but for me at least kids are working on their overall skills technique etc. especially the big guys. Like every other side venture in various trainers position coaches etc you'll have good, logical coaches and some not so logical deals

Reactions: Bowie50
LOL even a fast OL (Tackle) should be fairly easy for a DB to avoid most of the time even if it means taking yourself out of the play. After all Offensive Tackles are not known for their lightning quickness.

And your OL Coach & RB may not be pleased if you trapped a DB and left an unblocked DL or LB.
Depends on where the ball carrier is in relation to the pulling OL. If he's on his butt or hip unfortunately there's times when we have to take on that block. Sadly.

Not gonna argue that some of the non season work gets a bit ridiculous but for me at least kids are working on their overall skills technique etc. especially the big guys. Like every other side venture in various trainers position coaches etc you'll have good, logical coaches and some not so logical deals
Yeah I'm not saying that the drill / competition is not useful, as a matter a fact it looks like a good drill to work on footwork and moves. But it looked like it was labelled as a drill measuring head to head DL vs OL competition to measure how good the recruits were, that's what I had a hard time with. That drill is very favorable to the DL.

Depends on where the ball carrier is in relation to the pulling OL. If he's on his butt or hip unfortunately there's times when we have to take on that block. Sadly.
Yeah you have hit on the most stereotypical picture of the JCA running game throughout the ages, with the RB actually resting one hand on the middle of the back of OL.

Of course you need an OL energetic and athletic enough to get out in front of the RB (and) a RB smart enough & patient enough to know where the safest place on the field is located and not out run his blocker.

Padded or not, the DL already have the advantage. They know it's a "pass." OL just needs to focus on feet and hands. They get the opportunity to see top end DL that they usually probably don't see during the season either.

Padded or not, the DL already have the advantage. They know it's a "pass." OL just needs to focus on feet and hands. They get the opportunity to see top end DL that they usually probably don't see during the season either.
True, but the padded ones also do drive blocking, it's not limited to lateral quickness. That's where my big guy shines.

True, but the padded ones also do drive blocking, it's not limited to lateral quickness. That's where my big guy shines.
I completely understand. If your son is indeed a strong run blocker, I would be very proud of that as well.

This is where (if I were a DB) I would just fall down at the last second hoping to create a pile and hoping I don't get stomped..
Attack outside shoulder, force the RB back inside to where the rest of your team is pursuing. You give up the outside and it's probably, minimum, a 10 yard gain. Assuming you aren't lining up all the way to the sideline.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT