ADVERTISEMENT

North Central vs UW-Whitewater D3 Title

Go Cardinals!! Under 3 hours til kickoff. Quite a few downtown Naperville bars are having watch parties tonight.....The Lantern, Empire, and Two Brothers to name a few.

NCC with about as good of a 1st half you could ask for, UWW is going to need a 2nd half miracle to win this one.

Reactions: forlouann
When was the last time a college football team in Illinois won a national championship? It may already be answered in this thread. But I am too lazy to read the whole thing. Lol.

Reactions: Gene K.
Great half of total football form the Cardinals. Their D has impressed but what can you say about Rutter, Greenfield, and Kamienski? Awesome offensive execution.

Yes
They Beat Carrol College of Montana. SXU is the winningest College Football program of any college in Illinois.[/
  • Most Successful Collegiate Football Program in Illinois (most wins -- 147 and national playoff appearances -- 10) Among 35 Playing Institutions (NAIA, NCAA FCS, FBS, II, III)

As far as NCAA football championships, might be the first since Augustana in the 1980s (which might also be the last time a CCIW won the D3 title). I seem to recall Southern Illinois won the I-AA title back in the 80s, but don't recall exactly what year.

What’s really impressive is that North Central beat two of the most dominant D3 programs in history to win this years title - Mt Union and Whitewater.

Reactions: forlouann
With so many coming back for the Cardinals they might be making this a habit just like Track and Cross-Country.

NCC could and should be a sleeping giant. Great school, fantastic facilities, spectacular coaching staff across the board, and a pretty decent night life a block or two from campus. There’s plenty of local and regional talent to feed the beast.

NCC could and should be a sleeping giant. Great school, fantastic facilities, spectacular coaching staff across the board, and a pretty decent night life a block or two from campus. There’s plenty of local and regional talent to feed the beast.

Not really sleeping. They just won a national Championship

Not really sleeping. They just won a national Championship
One championship doesn’t make you a giant. They are awakening, for sure. They need to obviously replace Rutter but the talent around the next QB should be enough to make a decent run next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: LTHSALUM76

They are not a sleeping giant no more. The cats out the bag now! Lol
Congratulations to NCC! Awesome team and very dominant! Very impressive to beat both Mount Union and White Water, no easy task,

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
When was the last time a college football team in Illinois won a national championship? It may already be answered in this thread. But I am too lazy to read the whole thing. Lol.

Harper College won 3 NJCAA National Championships in 2003,2004, and 2008

Congrats to North Central College, National Champions. They have been knocking on the door for several years. It all started when John Thorne took over as head coach. Now his son, Jeff, has lead them to the promised land. The Thornes were responsible for turning around Wheaton Central a little over three decades ago. Super happy for these kids!

They are not a sleeping giant no more. The cats out the bag now! Lol
Congratulations to NCC! Awesome team and very dominant! Very impressive to beat both Mount Union and White Water, no easy task,
No reason why NCC can't become the next Whitewater or Mt. Union. More talent locally than either school and you are in downtown Naperville.

Last edited:
No reason why NCC can't become the next Whitewater or Mt. Union. More talent locally than either school and you are in downtown Naperville.

Totally agree. Tons of talent in Illinois. Who said that Illinois can’t complete with the rest of the country.

Totally agree. Tons of talent in Illinois. Who said that Illinois can’t complete with the rest of the country.
Most people say so. That’s why illinois kids are winning D3 championships not FBS championships.

Most people say so. That’s why illinois kids are winning D3 championships not FBS championships.
Well, my point is that a school located in the 3rd largest metro area in the nation should have enough of a talent base to hang with a program from Wisconsin or rural Ohio.

Reactions: CGsupporter
Well, my point is that a school located in the 3rd largest metro area in the nation should have enough of a talent base to hang with a program from Wisconsin or rural Ohio.
I wouldn’t call Alliance, OH rural. It’s pretty much smack dab in the middle of Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Warren, and Youngstown. Extremely fertile recruiting area. I’d argue that is exactly why they are a powerhouse. Whitewater? Probably because of the talent located here. No reason why NCC couldn’t take that pipeline over.

I wouldn’t call Alliance, OH rural. It’s pretty much smack dab in the middle of Cleveland, Akron, Canton, Warren, and Youngstown. Extremely fertile recruiting area. I’d argue that is exactly why they are a powerhouse. Whitewater? Probably because of the talent located here. No reason why NCC couldn’t take that pipeline over.

I have been to Mount Union. Nice campus. Alliance is a decent sized town, but it is completely surrounded by farmland. Definitely small town America.

More than half of their roster is from outside of Ohio, and most of those out of state kids are from states that do not border on OH. I'd argue they are a powerhouse because of outstanding coaching and recruiting on a national basis.

One championship doesn’t make you a giant. They are awakening, for sure. They need to obviously replace Rutter but the talent around the next QB should be enough to make a decent run next year.
Rumor around here was Steven Frank was going to go there before committing to EIU. I've also heard a couple other Oswego guys were transferring to NCC.

I have been to Mount Union. Nice campus. Alliance is a decent sized town, but it is completely surrounded by farmland. Definitely small town America.

More than half of their roster is from outside of Ohio, and most of those out of state kids are from states that do not border on OH. I'd argue they are a powerhouse because of outstanding coaching and recruiting on a national basis.
They are absolutely a national powerhouse right now. But in the 90s with Larry Kehres they built their foundation with local kids.

Reactions: ClownBaby
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT