ADVERTISEMENT

North Central at Mount Union

colin2229

Jul 23, 2005
I expect a great game with an NCC win in the closing seconds.

I want to share a couple stories as to why these programs are what they are.

Backstory - I used to be a Division III coach.

North Central Story: I had a 3yr first team all-conference wide receiver that was graduating with one year of eligibility remaining and Our school didn’t offer graduate school. He wanted to transfer to somewhere and compete for a national title. I am friends with the north central staff and called them up and told them about this kid. Their direct response “We have a Program philosophy that we do not take any 5th yr transfers. It’s unfair to the kids who have been here.” I was blown away by this. Every program I’ve ever heard of loves 5th year transfers that can come in and play right away. This spoke to their culture and not wanting to risk a 5th year transfer to possibly risk negatively affecting what they have built inside the locker room. You know you have a GREAT program when you can turn away great players.
* This kid transferred to another D3
And was a first team all-American. Their team made the playoffs for the first time in over a decade. He was #2 in the nation in receiving yards (behind NCC’s #1 WR). NCC also won the national title this year.

Mount Union Story: The head coach I was working for at the time told me that Mount Union is good because the head coaches wife runs the admissions department at Mount and they can get any kid into the school. So I believed this for a while. I met their staff at a recruiting event and befriended one of their coaches and asked him if that was true. He looked at me and said “I’ve heard a lot of things over the years about our program but that is a new one. Let me ask you this coach ‘your kids w bad grades, do they do well for you guys?’ I said they are our worst kids and don’t make it. ‘So then why do you think we win w a team full of kids with bad grades?’
He went on to say “ we win because of the culture that our head coach has built. And here’s a good example of that, just this week we had a freshman that did not pick up his weights after a Lift. A senior noticed it and told him to pick it up. The freshman said no. The senior said if you don’t start picking this up immediately and then do 15 push-ups you are off this team. The freshman laughed at him and left. Later that day the freshman was called into the HC office and was no longer apart of this program. We win because our seniors lead our team.”

Two very well runned programs and look forward to watching this game Saturday (albeit on Tv..grrrr)

Well this still makes no sense….

D3football.com (@d3football) Tweeted:
Sources: Committee made decision to give Mount Union home game in national semifinals over North Central "based on the numbers." When pointed out that committee ignored rule it wrote after 2010 season explicitly for this situation, there was acknowledgement, no explanation. #d3fb

Basically, the NCAA takes into consideration regular season and playoff schedule when deciding home field in the playoffs. W that in mind, mount Union has
More wins 13vs12 and more “quality wins” 6vs5. They also have a higher SOS.

This is all because NC’s first round game was considered a “no contest” bc of Covid.

Reactions: Gene K.
Terrible conditions for this game. NCC getting some momentum in the 2nd quarter.

Big break for NC getting to rekick. 16-7 HT. Welcome to Alliance Ohio. Truly the armpit of America.

Big break for NC getting to rekick. 16-7 HT. Welcome to Alliance Ohio. Truly the armpit of America.

Not often your team jumps and it works out in your favor, the kicker played the wind on the second attempt.

I got a new grinder attachment and sausage maker. Got my casings soaking and am going to make my first batch of Italian.

I’ve made sausage before but it’s to much work so I’ll never do it again but I make a killer ham salad with my grinder.

NCC taking over if MtU doesn’t score next drive this game will get ugly 23-7 NCC.

Tough spot I think I would have gone for it instead of kick into the wind.

NC playing w/o 3 starting OL and starting MLB. All out w Covid.

So impressed with the program Thorne has built. They’ve always had the skill guys but they physically dominate games up front now.

I was in the sideline 3 years ago and watched OshKosh push them all over the place. What an impressive few years they’ve had.

Last edited:
Reactions: NapervilleBuck
All.... Just saw this this thread. The freshman qb for North Central Luke Lehnan played for Chatham . (The CS8) He is tricky fast and throws a pretty good ball. Ratsy

He has really improved over the course of this year, he will own every NCC record by the time he leaves. He is a special player.

He has really improved over the course of this year, he will own every NCC record by the time he leaves. He is a special player.
He reminds me a lot of the NCC qb from the mid 2000s. Kam Kniss. I don’t know if Kniss was as fast though. I don’t think lehnen will break all of the records though.

I also don’t think he’ll have every record when he leaves. Rutter is a better passer.

however, he will leave as the winningest NCC QB.

kid is set up to be an 8x all-conference player between football and baseball.

WISH MORE KIDS WOULD GO HIS ROUTE AND GO TO SCHOOLS THAT ARE THE BEST FIT RATHER THAN CHASE THE BIGGEST SCHOOL.

Reactions: Gene K.
MHB whipped Whitewater at Whitewater today. The AA Stagg Bowl is gonna be a sledgehammer game. NCC is going to have their hands full. I think they got it but they’ll have to earn it for sure.

I also don’t think he’ll have every record when he leaves. Rutter is a better passer.

however, he will leave as the winningest NCC QB.

kid is set up to be an 8x all-conference player between football and baseball.

WISH MORE KIDS WOULD GO HIS ROUTE AND GO TO SCHOOLS THAT ARE THE BEST FIT RATHER THAN CHASE THE BIGGEST SCHOOL.
What offers did he have?

MHB whipped Whitewater at Whitewater today. The AA Stagg Bowl is gonna be a sledgehammer game. NCC is going to have their hands full. I think they got it but they’ll have to earn it for sure.
UMHB was very impressive yesterday. Looking like this will be a great game.

Very nervous for NC and their Covid situation. Had 4 starters out yesterday. Hoping it doesn’t spread throughout the team this week.

The game was basically over after halftime. Other than the kickoff return for a TD NCC didn’t look good. That Texas team came ready to play.

Reactions: atrain97
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT