ADVERTISEMENT

No Brainer for a Smart Kid?

crusader_of_90

Nov 1, 2003
Sauget, IL
archviewsecurity.com
Highland's Sam LaPorta was featured as the 29th ranked prospect in the STL area and this really stood out in the piece:

LaPorta has 10 scholarship offers. Among his suitors are Lindenwood, SIU Carbondale, Illinois State, Western Illinois, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Brown and Yale.

If those schools want you, how could you NOT go Ivy League when your other options are directional state schools?

Classic case of "some of these things are not like the other."

Reactions: Bwm57 and Gene K.
Highland's Sam LaPorta was featured as the 29th ranked prospect in the STL area and this really stood out in the piece:

LaPorta has 10 scholarship offers. Among his suitors are Lindenwood, SIU Carbondale, Illinois State, Western Illinois, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, Brown and Yale.

If those schools want you, how could you NOT go Ivy League when your other options are directional state schools?

Classic case of "some of these things are not like the other."
If the Ivies can come up with an aid package, they do not give athletic scholarships, to make is a free or reasonable cost education then it's a no brainer

I never considered cost - thought only of the opportunity to get an Ivy League education and connections. That to me, seems priceless.

But I'm not even near smart enough that an Ivy would want me, so I may just be making a stupid assumption.

WRT Yale. If your household income is under $100k the cost of attendance is zero inclusive of Books. Additionally, if the young man would pull an offer from Duke or Stanford he would have zero cost of attendance plus his additional cost of living provided as a stipend as if he were attending Duke or Stanford. Princeton, and Harvard follow this same policy because their endowments are so large and growing. As your income grows towards $250k his cost of room and board would increase from zero to full room and board at those schools. Over $250k you pay full room and board and you get less tuition waiver until you pay full boat at around $750k AGI. The other Ivy’s (Brown, Penn, Dartmouth, Cornell, & Columbia) will Offer what ever Yale, Princeton, or Harvard Offer to be competitive or less if they can get away with it(without an offer from the big3), but generally under $250k you are paying Room & Board plus books and a small portion of the reported Tuition; usually 10% or less.

The other issue could be that his offer is conditional dependent on what academic band his test scores and GPA place him in. If the offer is for Band 3 or 4 and he’s a band 2 or 1 he’s not getting the support he needs to gain entrance to the university.

Hope this helps to clarify the choices that are being made.

I never considered cost - thought only of the opportunity to get an Ivy League education and connections. That to me, seems priceless.

But I'm not even near smart enough that an Ivy would want me, so I may just be making a stupid assumption.

Reactions: Bwm57 and Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT