ADVERTISEMENT

NIL...

illinifan67

Nov 15, 2021
Saw an article earlier this week (it wouldn't let me attach it), it was on the OU insider board (Oklahoma Football board, *similar to this) from a staff board member with the username "Sliced bread" stating that Texas A&M dished out between 25 million to 30 million dollars to football recruits during the first signing period. According to the writer, A&M donors were working with the coaching staff and would identify players they wanted to target and then use a "point donor" who would work with various other donors to create an LLC to basically funnel money to that said recruit. The blogger also stated that in the contract they structured it as multiple-year with clauses stating if you transfer, the contract is broken and then you leave the money behind.

Idk about everyone else, but this was my initial fear when the NIL rule got passed, just seems unfair to smaller teams, with fewer donors. I am all for the kids getting paid, I've been an advocate for it on others' posts, but this just seems like an unfair advantage. I would guess this is happening in one way or another at all the major programs. How is a middle-tier team supposed to sway a kid from one of the powerhouses, when they are getting offered the opportunity to be on said powerhouse and millions of dollars? To me, it seems like recruiting is just turning into Free Agency.

I've always thought that NIL should be run through the school's DIA with guidelines set by their conference, if donors want to sponsor athletes then they have to donate to a fund that is for all athletes. Then the athletic program can prorate it out. Instead of forming an LLC for the player and basically just handing him money for playing well.

Ex. The fund has $1million dollars --> 50% goes to the football team, 25% goes to the basketball team, 5% goes to baseball/softball, 4% goes to gymnastics...etc for all sports boys and girls.
And then could be divided up in football from position group etc... or however the conference guidelines allow you to.

That way if you wanted to support your team and players you would have to support every student-athlete and it would be harder to just give one kid millions of dollars to come to your school as the money you gave to the fund would be going to every athlete, would make it so all sports are motivated to do well, as the better each sport is the more willing donors would be to donating. If I was a donor and loved tennis but our tennis team was terrible would I donate my money? No, they suck why would I help them. or Yes, they suck, I need to donate more, the more I donate the better chance they have to get better recruits because the kids will be paid more.

Thoughts?

But then again we have seen some top recruits go to non-powerhouse schools already due to NIL, so maybe it is a double-edged sword. IMO NIL needs to be more regulated or caps need to be set

Reactions: Gene K.
But then again we have seen some top recruits go to non-powerhouse schools already due to NIL, so maybe it is a double-edged sword. IMO NIL needs to be more regulated or caps need to be set
Why would you regulate it? What is the true harm? The No 1 player went to Jackson State. Seems like things are working just fine.
As far as football goes, fans give way too much credit to recruits and not enough credit to coaching and developing talent. Cincy never had a top five recruiting class. They did have some great coaching.

Why would you regulate it? What is the true harm? The No 1 player went to Jackson State. Seems like things are working just fine.
As far as football goes, fans give way too much credit to recruits and not enough credit to coaching and developing talent. Cincy never had a top five recruiting class. They did have some great coaching.
Like I said maybe it's a double-edged sword, we have seen big recruits go to smaller schools because they like the coaches and are able to still be paid.

And I don't disagree with your statement about coaches having a big part, Cincy recruited their kids prior to NIL and they did a damn good job finding gems.

But in the Texas A&M scenario, Jimbo Fisher was able to land the best recruiting class ever according to "https://247sports.com/college/texas...uiting-Alabama-top-class-all-time--179676309/". It begs the question is this because of the great coaching or because each of these kids on average pulled in 1-1.2 million each.

I think this makes the playing field more equal.

What's stopping Jeff Bezos from paying players to come to his alma mater (Princeton)? Phil Knight from doing the same at Oregon? Or anything program to gather up their rich alumni and pool funds together to buy players?

It truly is the fricken wild wild west.

It just comes down to who is going to do is the best.

Like I said maybe it's a double-edged sword, we have seen big recruits go to smaller schools because they like the coaches and are able to still be paid.

And I don't disagree with your statement about coaches having a big part, Cincy recruited their kids prior to NIL and they did a damn good job finding gems.

But in the Texas A&M scenario, Jimbo Fisher was able to land the best recruiting class ever according to "https://247sports.com/college/texas...uiting-Alabama-top-class-all-time--179676309/". It begs the question is this because of the great coaching or because each of these kids on average pulled in 1-1.2 million each.
Keep in mind that it can’t be sustained beyond a couple of years. Kids want to play now so the portal will be on fire. Money won’t make them sit and wait.

Last edited:
Yup, I think he entered the portal to see what schools/donors are willing to offer him to go to their school since the portal for good players has basically turned into Free Agency. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he went back to OU, just think it might be a "give me more money or I'm out". Is it good or bad for college football??? IDK only time will tell.

We call it College Football and that has a somewhat wholesome ring to it but the horse left the barn on this a long time ago. Now what was really just cheating, and everyone had their own way of doing it (e.g., the infamous alleged County Scholarships at Nebraska, etc.), is just out in the open.
In the end, the top tier of the Power 5 (20-25 programs and at least half of those in Dixie & Texas) will be the big winners.

Reactions: ramblinman
Caleb Williams is in the transfer portal bc he wants to go to SC with his old coach. That simple

Glad SC is going to be a contender again. CFB is better when they are good

Can really any school offer any kid something others can’t?

Bama can give a kid the same NIL deal that OSU can give and probably even U of I

Caleb Williams is in the transfer portal bc he wants to go to SC with his old coach. That simple

Why do you think college football better when USC, or any particular team is good?

Caleb Williams is looking for a payday nothing else.

Reactions: illinifan67
Can really any school offer any kid something others can’t?

Bama can give a kid the same NIL deal that OSU can give and probably even U of I
Every team can offer essentially the same, but as we know teams such as OSU, Bama, Georgia, Texas A&M, etc.. have many more willing donors than a team such as U of I.

Nothing is stopping someone like Shahid Khan from dishing out $30 million of his money to try and make U of I good again.

.....Wish I really hope he does lol

Every team can offer essentially the same, but as we know teams such as OSU, Bama, Georgia, Texas A&M, etc.. have many more willing donors than a team such as U of I.

Nothing is stopping someone like Shahid Khan from dishing out $30 million of his money to try and make U of I good again.

Eastern Michigan just offered him a million dollar deal.

I do think it would be funny if Bezos woke up tomorrow and said "I want Princeton to be the best team in America". He could throw 500 million a year at the team and not even realize it was missing.

More likely, take a school like Oregon, and Nike starts doing a lot more than 15 uniform combos.

I don’t think those schools have more willing donors per say. Every school has extremely rich alumni.

It’s up to the school to get them sold as to why they should.

If I’m U of I, throw 15mil a year at what coach you think kids want to play for (or whatever it takes to get him to come to Champaign) . And then get your alumni sold on whatever $$$ it’s going to take to recruit an elite recruiting class.

Just think every school can do the same thing with NIL now.

Perhaps I’m missing something….

Would love to listen on to these conversations going on in these AD/HC meetings with donors.

Caleb Williams is looking for a payday nothing else.
And you know this how?

So Temple offers him the most money he’s going there? You’re crazy.

Its about going to where you think will best prepare you to get to the NFL. And that’s w Lincoln Riley. Oh, who also happens to have a wide open QB competition.

And you know this how?

Its about going to where you think will best prepare you to get to the NFL. And that’s w Lincoln Riley. Oh, who also happens to have a wide open QB competition.

If you believe the reports from multiple schools his father is pressing for a large NIL deal and not to mention 247 sports is reporting UCLA is one of the front runners, what do they offer in QB development that’s better than Oklahoma?

If you believe the reports from multiple schools his father is pressing for a large NIL deal and not to mention 247 sports is reporting UCLA is one of the front runners, what do they offer in QB development that’s better than Oklahoma?
I don’t believe that.

he’s in SC right now w Oklahoma’s top WR. I’ll bet you $100 they both end up there :)

I just find it sad that increasingly there is no room for amateur athletics in the world of sports. In another 20 years this will be happening at the high school level. Although it literally would require an act of Congress, (to avoid antitrust regulations), the better alternative would be to institute reasonable salary caps on the coaches. Something would work along the lines of equaling the highest university salary outside of the athletic department. Then surplus revenues from television etc. could be used to reduce tuition costs for the student body in general, and reduce the amount of taxpayer funding needed for higher education. I am convinced the popularity of college football, which equals or exceeds the NFL, is mostly attributable to the brand names created by the universities and the loyalty of their alumni and local communities, rather than the skill level of the players. This is demonstrated by the fact that while the popularity of the college game and the revenues it generates are comparable to the NFL, clearly the skill level on the field is not.

I don’t think those schools have more willing donors per say. Every school has extremely rich alumni.

It’s up to the school to get them sold as to why they should.

If I’m U of I, throw 15mil a year at what coach you think kids want to play for (or whatever it takes to get him to come to Champaign) . And then get your alumni sold on whatever $$$ it’s going to take to recruit an elite recruiting class.

Just think every school can do the same thing with NIL now.

Perhaps I’m missing something….

Would love to listen on to these conversations going on in these AD/HC meetings with donors.
I think the difference between a team like UofI and the other teams I mentioned prior when it comes to willing donors, is that "it's up to the school to get them sold". Other powerhouse schools really don't have to sell their donors, they just give money because they are sports fanatics and will give money either way. But, I do agree it is up to the athletic department to have a plan in place so the donors are more sold on what they are giving their money to.

Every school has extremely rich alum, nothing is stopping rich alum from donating a boatload and making their team good.

If Jeff Bezos wanted to he could turn Princeton Football into a powerhouse and give them $100 million and he wouldn't even know it's gone.

And you know this how?

I agree with @ClownBaby he is looking to re-up his NIL money.

It's about the money but, Temple could offer him millions he won't ever go there. He isn't going to go to a middle-tier program no matter what. Unless it's something absolutely ridiculous like $10+ million.

It's Free agency, basically forcing Oklahoma's hand, more money or I am willing to leave. He will be listening to offers from top-tier programs.

I'm sure USC has offered him a lot so I wouldn't be surprised if he goes there.

My guess for him is either USC, Oklahoma, or North Carolina.

I think this makes the playing field more equal.

What's stopping Jeff Bezos from paying players to come to his alma mater (Princeton)? Phil Knight from doing the same at Oregon? Or anything program to gather up their rich alumni and pool funds together to buy players?

It truly is the fricken wild wild west.

It just comes down to who is going to do is the best.
Phil Knight has been doing it for years.

You would be surprised how many Hollywood movies released in the 1930s there were about this subject. They have slightly different scenarios, but it's all still about this subject. So, none of this is new by any means.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT