ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Kickoff Rule - 1 Year Test, Safer with More Returns

Is there a fair catch rule in place? If so, where does the receiving team get the ball?

Also, is there a rule about the on sides kick?

Thanks

Here you go. No fair catch and teams must declare if they will attempt an onside kick and rules for that have not changed.

Thank you.

The NFL kick is very talented. I'm curious how the angle kicking comes into play when you can place all your kids between the 3-5 yard line and on the outside of the numbers.

I hate the current on sides kick. Would he nice to see them bring back the old one where it gives the kicking team a true opportunity to recover.

Thanks again

The athlete in the NFL is a different athlete than the XFL.

I think there will be alot of offensive possession that start inside the 25, especially since there is no fair catch opportunity.

Injuries maybe down, but field possession will not improve.

The NFL is about points and offense. This may effect both. Could be a 1 and done year with this rule.

Will teams kick the ball through the end zone or angle kick and force teams to return the ball?
It's a copy cat league so the first team to figure out a successful strategy will make that decision.

The athlete in the NFL is a different athlete than the XFL.

I think there will be alot of offensive possession that start inside the 25, especially since there is no fair catch opportunity.

Injuries maybe down, but field possession will not improve.

The NFL is about points and offense. This may effect both. Could be a 1 and done year with this rule.
They also eliminated another way to tackle so that's yet another way to help the offense.

Quickly approaching flag football territory.

This is so stupid...especially the onside kick rule. It's like a hitter standing in the box and the pitcher has to tell him what pitch is coming next. Just plain dumb.

How many documented injuries have resulted from kickoff returns in high school? Not saying this isn't a safe approach, but no need to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
Not sure who would document those injuries in high school, but I’ve had 3 boys play top tier 8A, and I see this as a good, reasonable progressive change for tackle football. Gotta do it IMO. Here is 1 reason or problem involving my son as the ‘hitter’:

Not sure who would document those injuries in high school, but I’ve had 3 boys play top tier 8A, and I see this as a good, reasonable progressive change for tackle football. Gotta do it IMO. Here is 1 reason or problem involving my son as the ‘hitter’:
That kid got hit hard, but was he injured? Did he miss time? Football is a contact sport, if you remove the hitting then what's the point?

This is so stupid...especially the onside kick rule. It's like a hitter standing in the box and the pitcher has to tell him what pitch is coming next. Just plain dumb.
Don't see the connection at all here. How many surprise onside kicks do you ever see?

That kid got hit hard, but was he injured? Did he miss time? Football is a contact sport, if you remove the hitting then what's the point?
That kid / future N. IL MLB had a concussion, left the game early in the 2nd half of the 2016 playoff game (when they had been leading), and Palatine lost the game in part due to his absence on DEF. The NFL isn't removing hitting here, its reducing the oppty for full speed head-to-head hits like this one that NFL - which should extend down to IHSA / youth give our collective need to reduce or minimize head injuries as well. Many coaches think kickoffs are one of the most dangerous situations in a game due to North/South max speed/mass physics.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
Don't see the connection at all here. How many surprise onside kicks do you ever see?
Unfortunately you are completely missing my point. How much a surprise onside kick occurs has nothing to do with it being outlawed. If it occurs so infrequently, why outlaw it? I remember an onside kick to start the second half of a Super Bowl game that worked perfectly. Even if it is rarely used, the possibility is still there and that's a good thing. It is a dumb change, period.

Unfortunately you are completely missing my point. How much a surprise onside kick occurs has nothing to do with it being outlawed. If it occurs so infrequently, why outlaw it? I remember an onside kick to start the second half of a Super Bowl game that worked perfectly. Even if it is rarely used, the possibility is still there and that's a good thing. It is a dumb change, period.
No, eliminating the hip drop tackle is dumb. The new kickoff rule will result in more kicks being returned which I see as a good thing.

Recovering an onside kick has about a 3% success rate so whether by surprise or not, it's not successful so who cares if teams have to announce it's coming?

No, eliminating the hip drop tackle is dumb. The new kickoff rule will result in more kicks being returned which I see as a good thing.

Recovering an onside kick has about a 3% success rate so whether by surprise or not, it's not successful so who cares if teams have to announce it's coming?
I agree A4
The hip drop tackle is dumb. I mean come on if you’re a defensive player. You can’t tackle high, you can’t tackle low, you can’t tackle and roll, I mean what in the world are they doing. I guess we need to just play flag football. They really don’t want anyone to tackle. This is getting ridiculous.

You're still missing my point. I can't help you now. But I do find it interesting you quote a 3% success rate for an onside kick. I would suspect that 3% success rate is for all onside kicks. What is the success rate for surprise onside kicks? I would bet it is higher. perhaps quite a bit higher...which would add more strength to my argument. The rule change is dumb...period.

Last edited:
You're still missing my point. I can't help you now. But I do find it interesting you quote a 3% success rate for an onside kick. I would suspect that 3% success rate is for all onside kicks. What is the success rate for surprise onside kicks? I would bet it is higher. perhaps quite a bit higher...which would add more strength to my argument. The rule change is dumb...period.
Odd that this rule has you so upset. To your point about surprise onside kicks, you're wrong. There were all of two surprise onside kicks last year and neither were recovered by the kicking team. The surprise onside kick doesn't happen because the kicking team can no longer get a running start, not that it was a popular play before the rule change.

I watched some of the UFL games this weekend and I like the new kickoff setup. In the NFL last year only 20% of kickoffs were returned and none in the Super Bowl, but most kickoffs I saw this weekend were returned which makes for the possibility of more excitement.

I'd be in favor of eliminating the onside kick and going with what the UFL does in that situation. If a team wants the ball back and are trailing or the game is tied in the 4th quarter they can attempt a play from their own 28 yard line and must get to the 40 to keep possession, essentially a 4th and 12 play. You make it you keep the ball, if not, the opposing team gets the ball where the play ended.

Odd that this rule has you so upset. To your point about surprise onside kicks, you're wrong. There were all of two surprise onside kicks last year and neither were recovered by the kicking team. The surprise onside kick doesn't happen anymore because the kicking team can no longer get a running start, not that it was a popular play before the rule change.

I watched some of the UFL games this weekend and I like the new kickoff setup. In the NFL last year only 20% of kickoffs were returned and none in the Super Bowl, but most kickoffs I saw this weekend were returned which makes for the possibility of more excitement.

I'd be in favor of eliminating the onside kick and going with what the UFL does in that situation. If a team wants the ball back and are trailing or the game is tied in the 4th quarter they can attempt a play from their own 28 yard line and must get to the 40 to keep possession, essentially a 4th and 12 play. You make it you keep the ball, if not, the opposing team gets the ball where the play ended.
Agree, this isn't the rule that basically killed the surprise onside. It's the previous changes.

How much higher of a percentage would a 4th and 12 be compared to old school rules for onside kicks in 4th Q?
I would think you would want the percentages to be similar. I would guess 4th and 12 would have a WAY higher success rate.

Odd that this rule has you so upset. To your point about surprise onside kicks, you're wrong. There were all of two surprise onside kicks last year and neither were recovered by the kicking team. The surprise onside kick doesn't happen because the kicking team can no longer get a running start, not that it was a popular play before the rule change.

A couple things. Your use of two whole surprise onside kicks is hardly a large sample. In fact, it's miniscule. This reminds me of when some of the aldermen here in Lockport wanted to take the stoplight camera out of the intersection of Farrell Road and Rt 7. of course the police department went crazy about it as they knew it was a revenue generator. Their reasoning was that it cut down accidents by 50%. Instead of four accidents, there were two. Yeah it was 50% but there was no way to prove the camera itself made the change and the number sample was a joke. I guarantee if a larger number is used that percentage changes. I am not so crazy about it as you say. Remember, you are the crazy one here.

But, with that said, I would agree with the last paragraph of your post in that the odds for success on a one time try to make 12 yards are probably much better than an onside kick. I would be OK with that option. So, something has to be done. You just can't essentially end the onside kick and put nothing in it's place. Maybe you make the try a little longer than 2 yards. I wonder what the success rate would be. A lot of teams went for it on 4th down anyway in the past season.

A couple things. Your use of two whole surprise onside kicks is hardly a large sample. In fact, it's miniscule. This reminds me of when some of the aldermen here in Lockport wanted to take the stoplight camera out of the intersection of Farrell Road and Rt 7. of course the police department went crazy about it as they knew it was a revenue generator. Their reasoning was that it cut down accidents by 50%. Instead of four accidents, there were two. Yeah it was 50% but there was no way to prove the camera itself made the change and the number sample was a joke. I guarantee if a larger number is used that percentage changes. I am not so crazy about it as you say. Remember, you are the crazy one here.

But, with that said, I would agree with the last paragraph of your post in that the odds for success on a one time try to make 12 yards are probably much better than an onside kick. I would be OK with that option. So, something has to be done. You just can't essentially end the onside kick and put nothing in it's place. Maybe you make the try a little longer than 2 yards. I wonder what the success rate would be. A lot of teams went for it on 4th down anyway in the past season.
The point is this rule didn’t kill it, the previous changes did.

The point is this rule didn’t kill it, the previous changes did.
Now, you're both missing my point so it looks like I need to educate both of you. I don't like the idea that the freedom to choose is being taken away. Yes, the rule changes had an effect for sure. But the choice was still there regardless of success rate. The kickoff rule the UFL employs seems more like a gimmick to me than anything. But I would give that a chance...I guess.

And the odds of you or I getting struck by lightning in our lifetimes are very slim...even if we go out in a thunderstorm. But the chance is still there regardless of how remote.

Last edited:
Now, you're both missing my point so it looks like I need to educate both of you. I don't like the idea that the freedom to choose is being taken away. Yes, the rule changes had an effect for sure. But the choice was still there regardless of success rate. The kickoff rule the UFL employs seems more like a gimmick to me than anything. But I would give that a chance...I guess.

And the odds of you or I getting struck by lightning in our lifetimes are very slim...even if we go out in a thunderstorm. But the chance is still there regardless of how remote.
Yes, they took away the choice.
I guess I am not upset because I have accepted the fact over the years it was eventually going away.
I am interested in an alternative but the odds, IMO, have to line up with old odds of recovering an onside kick in 4th quarter. 4th and 12 does not do it for me.

If the NFL didn't make this change then there was a good chance the kickoff was going away completely. So factor that into the equation if you hate this.

Reactions: 4Afan

It's not a large sample size because it doesn't happen. Coaches had the choice and chose not to utilize a surprise onside kick at all. Both teams knew all but two onside kicks were coming so it's not like this is a big change or altering the game. I think you're the crazy one in this situation for being upset about something that is beyond rare being removed from the game. How many times have you watched a game and after a team scores you said that this would be a good time for a surprise onside kick? I'm fairly confident you didn't have that thought very often.

You're going to say I still don't get your point, but I do. You think it's bad that the choice is being taken away but no one utilized that choice when it was an option so why be upset about it?

Watch a UFL game this weekend and see that the majority of kicks get returned and it's not just a formality that it will be a touch back. That's better for the game then the slimmest of chances that a team attempts a surprise onside kick.

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT