ADVERTISEMENT

NFHS Problems

tomloner

Gold Member
Sep 21, 2004
Chicago
I should have learned from other posters here on Edgy about the quality of NFSH broadcasts. I didn’t need it for football because I was watching the games live. I just signed up for the end of the basketball season. I watched a St. Rita game from Florida and the picture was ok. Fast forward to last night. I tried to watch the St. Rita - Fenwick game. For most of the game there no picture with a screen message they were having trouble with the camera.

So I switched over to the Loyola-De LaSalle game. The basketball court was too long because there were TWO centerlines in the picture. It looked like they had two fish eye cameras and wanted to merge the two camera feeds at the centerline but missed by 4 feet at the bottom of the screen to 8 feet maybe at the top of the screen. When a player dribbled the ball down court and crossed one center line he would appear again in the other side of the second centerline. So for awhile there were two pictures of the same player!

Is the quality of their broadcasting? If so I’ll cancel before my second month payment is due.

Last edited:
NFHS is VERY hit-or-miss on quality. It depends on a lot of different factors but the biggest one I keep hearing is the quality of the Home team's setup, others can explain what that means.

I have rarely tried to watch any basketball on NFHS, typically you get about 20% high quality, 60% OK quality and 20% extremely low quality, for any given event you try to watch.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
In reality, it's not really NFHS that is the issue. Schools purchase the Pixelot camera or a Hudl Focus camera. Both are automated. Schools have to install it, set it up with tech people. If it ain't done properly or if the school doesn't have the bandwidth/signal strength then you get awful results. Problem is schools sign these contracts and are locked in to using it. That's why I like the ones that don't have go through YouTube, do their own camera work, etc. Total control.

NFHS just says thank you, takes the money, and charges fees.

It's generally always going to be an issue...bad Wifi connection to start means bad production....in most cases but also NFHS servers and backbone also leave a lot to be desired. I know Hudl is finally rolling something similar out and hopefully they will catch fire and send these clowns packing....yet the issue we all have is how long is the contract between IHSA and NFHS?

Except for the final score, the MC game at BR on Youtube last night was excellen quality

In reality, it's not really NFHS that is the issue. Schools purchase the Pixelot camera or a Hudl Focus camera. Both are automated. Schools have to install it, set it up with tech people. If it ain't done properly or if the school doesn't have the bandwidth/signal strength then you get awful results. Problem is schools sign these contracts and are locked in to using it. That's why I like the ones that don't have go through YouTube, do their own camera work, etc. Total control.

Thanks for the info. Now I can see why the Loyola/De LaSalle game had a screwed up video by looking up what the camera looks like.

I have had limited issues with NFHS this year with the teams I watch. One of the schools has a camera issue where players disappear briefly when they cross half court. Another school who uses youtube and a Hudl cam, installed their camera directly under an auxiliary basket and you can barely see the game.

Subscribing to NFHS is like being in an abusive relationship. Every once and awhile they are really nice to you, almost perfect, but for the most part they are down right horrible and unreliable but yet, against everyone’s advise, you keep coming back, mostly for lack of better options.

Subscribing to NFHS is like being in an abusive relationship. Every once and awhile they are really nice to you, almost perfect, but for the most part they are down right horrible and unreliable but yet, against everyone’s advise, you keep coming back, mostly for lack of better options.
Sadly they are the only girl on the island.

FWIW schools don’t do anything themselves but upload their schedule of games. Pixellot cameras are setup by their tech people sent to the school for install. Depending on the location of the cameras, they not only setup the automated camera but those cameras are hardwired into a desktop computer in the pressbox or office to create their own network. Some gyms/stadiums are more conducive than others but the stream speed is the only thing that might differ from schools, Pixellot issues cover everything else.

Reactions: Silver Rain
Is there a message board for IHSA basketball? There used to be chicagohoops.com but that's been gone for 15+ years. Would be nice to have something like this board for basketball.

Reactions: mc140
Is there a message board for IHSA basketball? There used to be chicagohoops.com but that's been gone for 15+ years. Would be nice to have something like this board for basketball.
Lots of people have moved to twitter for basketball chatter. Michael O'Brien is like a present day Sakamoto for high school hoops. One of the last of a dying breed.

Reactions: Silver Rain
Lots of people have moved to twitter for basketball chatter. Michael O'Brien is like a present day Sakamoto for high school hoops. One of the last of a dying breed.
Yeah I follow all the local sports reporters on Twitter but I hate Twitter. Was hoping for a separate location where fans from all over IL talk about basketball the way people talk football here.

Yeah I follow all the local sports reporters on Twitter but I hate Twitter. Was hoping for a separate location where fans from all over IL talk about basketball the way people talk football here.
O'Brien is way better than Sako was

For Hoops yes, for Football no
O'Brien has been highly positive, not to mention accurate, in his assessment of Mt. Carmel. "The Caravan remain the kings of Chicago high school football." And his report on the MC-Loyola game was itself an instant classic.

I was a harsh critic of O'Brien when he was just awful through all the covid stuff. But credit to him now, he's been a lot better.

O'Brien has been highly positive, not to mention accurate, in his assessment of Mt. Carmel. "The Caravan remain the kings of Chicago high school football." And his report on the MC-Loyola game was itself an instant classic.
He does an admirable job but will tell you himself his passion is HS Basketball.

Ia'm very fond of O'Brien, just as I was Bob Sakamoto.

I miss old "Sako." He once helped me get into an awkward spot in the crowded LA lot. Once I was parked, I asked him about the ranking he gave Mt Carmel. He laughed and told me to talk to "the Sun-Times guy" the next time I had trouble finding a spot. He was very gracious.

Reactions: mullin17
Ia'm very fond of O'Brien, just as I was Bob Sakamoto.

I miss old "Sako." He once helped me get into an awkward spot in the crowded LA lot. Once I was parked, I asked him about the ranking he gave Mt Carmel. He laughed and told me to talk to "the Sun-Times guy" the next time I had trouble finding a spot. He was very gracious.
Sako was a great guy and good for HS Sports. I used to call into his CLTV Show regularly as a HS player

Yesterday NFHS broadcasting laid an egg again. At 6pm the 1A 2A and 3A State Wrestling Finals were being broadcast on three different feeds from mats 1, 2 and 3. The tourney was held up because they could not get the camera on mat 3 to broadcast the 3A matches. After a lengthy delay they just started wrestling on the three mats. Those who wanted to watch the 3A matches missed the first three of four matchers.

The other night St. Rita vs St. Ignatius basketball game again had the message “This event is produced by an automated camera that is experiencing technical difficulties. We are working to resolve the issue and we appreciate your patience.” It’s not the schools internet speed or connection as the school broadcast the game on YouTube w/o problems. So I will be canceling this service before the month is over.

Question for the board was it this bad during the football season?

Question for the board was it this bad during the football season?
Of course it is/was. Go to the Brother Rice/Jacobs game tape from last season's playoffs... entirely unacceptable when you have schools who can put on their own production with 99% less dysfunction. And it doesn't take a wealthy private school to put on a fantastic production. Check this out from Collinsville's playoff game last year again Bradley Bourbonnais:

NFHS is highway robbery and essentially extortion.

Of course it is/was. Go to the Brother Rice/Jacobs game tape from last season's playoffs... entirely unacceptable when you have schools who can put on their own production with 99% less dysfunction. And it doesn't take a wealthy private school to put on a fantastic production. Check this out from Collinsville's playoff game last year again Bradley Bourbonnais:

NFHS is highway robbery and essentially extortion.
Very well done.

I've seen some nice broadcasts on-line from BR and Loyola. I also like the student commentary, even when they get it wrong. It's kids having fun which is what high school should be. I like the orange blazers the the BR kids had on. In high school those jackets would have caused a lot of grief when I was in school.

• Love
Reactions: dweise and Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT