ADVERTISEMENT

New Southwest Prairie conference realignment for 2019

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
This story originally appeared earlier this week on the EDGY Nation forum....make sure to subscribe and never miss a thing!

Hearing from a good source that the new Southwest Prairie conference realignment has been done.

Two Divisions

Division 1

Plain N
West Aurora
Yorkville
Minooka
Oswego
Oswego East

Division 2

Joliet West
Joliet Central
Plain S
Plain E
Plain C
Romeoville

Thoughts? I'll release this for free in a day or two but for now.....

It must be good to be in Division 2!

What in the h$ll are they thinking? They are trying to determine how crossovers will work (hearing 5 conference 3 crossovers and 1 non con) and all I can think of is that Division 2 just eliminated half the team from playoff contention and screwed prob 2-3 Division 1 teams who will be better than several Division 2 teams from a state playoff spot.

Wow.

Reactions: Magnum Opus
Did they just say let’s take all the best teams and put them in one division? I guess it’s close to East/ West but PS is further West than PN.

Why 3 crossovers instead of 2 crossovers and 2 non con which seems like a better set up for getting to the playoffs.

Did they just say let’s take all the best teams and put them in one division? I guess it’s close to East/ West but PS is further West than PN.

Why 3 crossovers instead of 2 crossovers and 2 non con which seems like a better set up for getting to the playoffs.

Again I heard that they are considering a few different options so we’ll see

Reactions: saintlouis
I heard a different alignment a few weeks ago from a someone at one of the schools. But if the above holds the first division is stacked.

That makes no sense! In addition, why wouldn’t Plainfield want all 4 of their schools in the same division? North the best so they get tossed into the division 1 meat grinder and then they get 3 crossovers against their sister schools?

Smh. I just don’t understand the division alignments. Oswego’s and WA can’t like that set up at all.

The divisions were confirmed by West Aurora already. There is an article in the Chicago Tribune/Beacon News.

Also, three crossovers make sense because it somewhat offsets the disparity between the two divisions. It also allows for teams to play each other every other year, which is probably important for the Plainfield schools.

The divisions were confirmed by West Aurora already. There is an article in the Chicago Tribune/Beacon News.

Strange - I have a subscription and I just checked online and the only article relating to West Aurora I found is the one on the Upstate 8 inviting Fenton to join as the 10th member and then in October Upstate will meet to discuss possible expansion to 12 teams (possibly Kaneland and Dekalb)

I don’t see any mention of Southwest Prarie division line ups.

If I were to "realign" this, I think the following would make more sense. Little more play year in and year out as far as the better teams football wise. Baseball wise division 2 is a blood bath. Basketball Division 1 takes it handily. I just like my version a bit better as far as neighboring areas go and keeping "same town" schools together.

Division 1
Joliet West
Joliet Central
West Aurora
Oswego
Oswego East
Romeoville

Division 2
Yorkville
Minooka
Plain S
Plain E
Plain C
Plain N

If I were to "realign" this, I think the following would make more sense. Little more play year in and year out as far as the better teams football wise. Baseball wise division 2 is a blood bath. Basketball Division 1 takes it handily. I just like my version a bit better as far as neighboring areas go and keeping "same town" schools together.

Division 1
Joliet West
Joliet Central
West Aurora
Oswego
Oswego East
Romeoville

Division 2
Yorkville
Minooka
Plain S
Plain E
Plain C
Plain N

Great job PowerI - yes way way better.

I think the divisions would just be for football, but I’m not entirely sure on that.

West Aurora Enrollment 3800
Yorkville 1700

Well Yorkville will win in Cross Country and that is it.... That's a pathetic grouping. Love to see the reasoning/Logic behind that.

Yorkville should probably move to division 2 and PS or PE moved to division 1.

West Aurora Enrollment 3800
Yorkville 1700

Well Yorkville will win in Cross Country and that is it.... That's a pathetic grouping. Love to see the reasoning/Logic behind that.
There are some very good track and cross country teams in the SPC already. Going to be tough for Yorkville in those sports too

Won’t Yorkville grow into the conference over the next few years?

Where are their enrollment projections at?

projections are minor increases in at 5 to 10 year glance. Their bubble class(biggest) is 2021 and then actually goes down some over next 5 years. Not counting move ins, there are no new developments going in so dont see 1800 to 1900 anytime soon. And what I meant be win was maybe get a few W's. Not win the conference, just have middle road success. Where as football will be possibly all losses in Division 1, maybe a crossover win or 2 and hopefully a cupcake for non conference. I see alot of 2-7 and 3-6 years(and that could be tough)

I'm a bit shocked that they divided these like they did.

Probably should have kept Plainfield North and Plainfield East together and Minooka and Plainfield South together as well.

With cross-over games though, these rivalries will still be maintained to some degree.

Looks like they divided based off East and West. No need for divisions in any other sport but football. Basketball will play 11 conference games (everyone once). Baseball will play 22 (everyone twice).

Last edited:
would have split the Plainfields 2-2, split the Oswegos, split Joliets

UPDATE: The Divisions are set just like Edgy said.

SPC East: Joliet Central, Joliet West, Plainfield Central, Plainfield East , Plainfield South and Romeoville

SPC West: Aurora West, Minooka, Oswego, Oswego East, Plainfield North and Yorkville

These divisions are for all sports that will have divisions, but it is important to note that not all sports will have divisions. For instance basketball is still to be determined what they will do. The 2 options are 1 big 12 team conference and play everyone once which would be 11 conference games which fits very well in the basketball calendar for those Friday night games. The other option is 2 divisions and play every division opponent twice and a crossover against each of the other member schools for a total of 16. That gives everyone plenty of home games and some balance to the schedule but limits some flexibility in scheduling non-conference games. Basketball can play up to 31 regular season games. Most teams play in a Thanksgiving, Christmas and MLK Tournament which adds up to somewhere between 10-14 games add the 16 SPC games and you can see the lack of room for true non-conference games.

Now, to football. This is confirmed for next year, teams with play 4 crossovers in weeks 1-4 and then division games week 5-9. No true non-conference games. I know schools with rivalries from the other divisions will play crossover games against their rivals. In a few instances teams may play a crossover in weeks 5-9 and a division game in weeks 1-4. The Ridge Road Rivalry between Plainfield South and Minooka will happen. Also, The Battle for 119th between Plainfield East and Plainfield North will happen in crossover games.

Last edited:
teams with play 4 crossovers in weeks 1-4 and then division games week 5-9. No true non-conference games. I know schools with rivalries from the other divisions will play crossover games against their rivals. In a dew instances teams may play a crossover in weeks 5-9 and a division game in weeks 1-4. The Ridge Road Rivalry between Plainfield South and Minooka will happen. Also, The Battle for 119th between Plainfield East and Plainfield North will happen in crossover games.

Well that sucks!

Why no non conference games? Only reason I can think of is to get more teams in the playoffs feasting on the weaker teams in each division with crossovers to bolster win loss records and for ease of scheduling (no work needed by the ADs)

Reactions: PowerI66

SPC East: Joliet Central, Joliet West, Plainfield Central, Plainfield East , Plainfield South and Romeoville

SPC West: Aurora West, Minooka, Oswego, Oswego East, Plainfield North and Yorkville

These divisions are for all sports that will have divisions, but it is important to note that not all sports will have divisions. For instance basketball is still to be determined what they will do. The 2 options are 1 big 12 team conference and play everyone once which would be 11 conference games which fits very well in the basketball calendar for those Friday night games. The other option is 2 divisions and play every division opponent twice and a crossover against each of the other member schools for a total of 16. That gives everyone plenty of home games and some balance to the schedule but limits some flexibility in scheduling non-conference games. Basketball can play up to 31 regular season games. Most teams play in a Thanksgiving, Christmas and MLK Tournament which adds up to somewhere between 10-14 games add the 16 SPC games and you can see the lack of room for true non-conference games.

Now, to football. This is confirmed for next year, teams with play 4 crossovers in weeks 1-4 and then division games week 5-9. No true non-conference games. I know schools with rivalries from the other divisions will play crossover games against their rivals. In a dew instances teams may play a crossover in weeks 5-9 and a division game in weeks 1-4. The Ridge Road Rivalry between Plainfield South and Minooka will happen. Also, The Battle for 119th between Plainfield East and Plainfield North will happen in crossover games.
Still having a closed conference is such a waste of time. Why even bother making divisions then? Doesn't surprise me that this got messed up right off the bat .

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Well that sucks!

Why no non conference games? Only reason I can think of is to get more teams in the playoffs feasting on the weaker teams in each division with crossovers to bolster win loss records and for ease of scheduling (no work needed by the ADs)

The early rumblings were it was going to be 3 crossover games, but rivalry games ware a big deal. Having only 3 crossover games would only guarantee that every other year. With 4 crossover games you can play every team atleast every other year and your rival every year. That was the thinking behind it. Scheduling non-conference games for schools in the SPC usually is done by the Head Coaches for each sport and the AD's approve it or not.

Still having a closed conference is such a waste of time. Why even bother making divisions then? Doesn't surprise me that this got messed up right off the bat .

2 automatic playoff spots, 2 schools getting to claim conference championships.

The early rumblings were it was going to be 3 crossover games, but rivalry games ware a big deal. Having only 3 crossover games would only guarantee that every other year. With 4 crossover games you can play every team atleast every other year and your rival every year. That was the thinking behind it. Scheduling non-conference games for schools in the SPC usually is done by the Head Coaches for each sport and the AD's approve it or not.
The way I drew up the divisions earlier in the thread literally cemented all of the previous rivalry games. It also kept individual districts on the same side of the conference.

The way I drew up the divisions earlier in the thread literally cemented all of the previous rivalry games. It also kept individual districts on the same side of the conference.

I kind of like the way you drew up divisions better. From what I know staying in the same division was a big deal for the Oswego's. For the Joliet's it was their preference but wanted to guarantee the Joliet rivalry playing every year. For Plainfield schools it wasn't a factor at all. Although East and North wanted to maintain their rivalry game.

I kind of like the way you drew up divisions better. From what I know staying in the same division was a big deal for the Oswego's. For the Joliet's it was their preference but wanted to guarantee the Joliet rivalry playing every year. For Plainfield schools it wasn't a factor at all. Although East and North wanted to maintain their rivalry game.
Surprisingly, psd202 makes the wisest decision of this. Better chance of more schools making the playoffs.

would have split the Plainfields 2-2, split the Oswegos, split Joliets
I agree with Plainfield’s split 2-2.
My understanding was Lincoln Way wanted their schools split up so they could have the possibility of two conference champions.

Now, to football. This is confirmed for next year, teams with play 4 crossovers in weeks 1-4 and then division games week 5-9. No true non-conference games. I know schools with rivalries from the other divisions will play crossover games against their rivals. In a few instances teams may play a crossover in weeks 5-9 and a division game in weeks 1-4. The Ridge Road Rivalry between Plainfield South and Minooka will happen. Also, The Battle for 119th between Plainfield East and Plainfield North will happen in crossover games.

Just mind boggling really. Division split is terribly unbalanced. You essentially have a meat grinder and then a division where Joliet central, Plainfield central, and romeoville make up half of a division.

And even more puzzling is why you would expand your league to make it not a closed conference anymore.....but then to decide to not play nonconference games anyway. I give this thing 2 to 3 years until the Oswegos bolt. Then it's back to a 10 team closed league anyway.

The way the Southwest Prarie has faired in the playoffs so far (everyone knocked out in first round except Oswego who got Taft), one would would think they would want at least one non con preferably at the end of the season to gear up to playoff speed. If Oswego doesn’t get by Loyola today, not a very good look for the SWP for this season. I’m hoping the Oswego’s bolt in a couple years to the DVC to take it from 6 to 8 teams. Wow that would be a great conference with the addition of the Oswego’s.

The way the Southwest Prarie has faired in the playoffs so far (everyone knocked out in first round except Oswego who got Taft), one would would think they would want at least one non con preferably at the end of the season to gear up to playoff speed. If Oswego doesn’t get by Loyola today, not a very good look for the SWP for this season. I’m hoping the Oswego’s bolt in a couple years to the DVC to take it from 6 to 8 teams. Wow that would be a great conference with the addition of the Oswego’s.
I know last year Oswego, Oswego East and Bolingbrook all declined the DVC invite. Conference was down this year. Minooka made it to quarter-finals last year. This year IMO they were second best in the league. Had they gotten the draw Oswego East got who they blew out a week earlier and had the exact same record I think they'd still be standing. But SPC in football has always been Oswego and an occasional come up from Minooka or Plainfield North. Everyone else is kinda meh. It's a better basketball conference and a much better baseball conference.

Reactions: zoneblitzer31
Just mind boggling really. Division split is terribly unbalanced. You essentially have a meat grinder and then a division where Joliet central, Plainfield central, and romeoville make up half of a division.

And even more puzzling is why you would expand your league to make it not a closed conference anymore.....but then to decide to not play nonconference games anyway. I give this thing 2 to 3 years until the Oswegos bolt. Then it's back to a 10 team closed league anyway.

Division split was solely based on geography. It wasn't a situation where they tried to balance divisions evenly and botched it. If anything the tougher of the two divisions with most of the decent football schools might be more well prepared heading into the playoffs the way the divisions we're split. From the East division no one from that division is making noise in the playoffs anyway.

I know last year Oswego, Oswego East and Bolingbrook all declined the DVC invite. Conference was down this year. Minooka made it to quarter-finals last year. This year IMO they were second best in the league. Had they gotten the draw Oswego East got who they blew out a week earlier and had the exact same record I think they'd still be standing. But SPC in football has always been Oswego and an occasional come up from Minooka or Plainfield North. Everyone else is kinda meh. It's a better basketball conference and a much better baseball conference.

It will be very interesting to see how it plays out. I can understand the reluctance of the Oswego’s and Brook from joining last year as it would have just made the DVC another meat grinder attrition league like it was in 2015-2017.

That said - things change. I have heard whispers that the Oswego’s were not happy in the 10 team conference and hence the additions and changes. Like you said - OSwego is a powerhouse football school. If this new conference doesn’t help them in future years,... I wonder what might happen. An 8 team league with the Oswego’s, the Napers and the valleys and Dekalb would be a very good conference but not a nut buster where every single game is a slug fest year in and year out.

A decision has been made for basketball. There will be two divisions (the same as football) 16 total conference games. 6 crossovers and 10 within the division.

Reactions: UniversalAdvice
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT