ADVERTISEMENT

Neuqua - 14 LWE - 17 Final

Yeah but they seem to come up with good team every season. Is the QB that came in for MM later in the game a Jr? He looked pretty good. I see NV dropped WW South and picked up Minooka. After the game with Beast they get right down to business playing Naperville North and Central in weeks 4 & 5.
Mohler is a Junior. He’s gotten a lot better since he came in to the WWS game in Q3. All of the PT he got this year with MM hurt will pay off next year. The SO class has a lot of talent and the FR more so.

Saw enough to know this is not the beat team in the stat.
I would tend to agree with you based on recent results. This is the second questionable performance in the last three weeks for LWE. And look how that conference performed in the playoffs:

MS 24 The Brook 0
GBW 38 Lockport 7
GBS 40 H-F 7

Beginning to think LWE might be a bit overrated. And it's not based on one game. Based on multiple games and the poor performance of their conference.

I would tend to agree with you based on recent results. This is the second questionable performance in the last three weeks for LWE. And look how that conference performed in the playoffs:

MS 24 The Brook 0
GBW 38 Lockport 7
GBS 40 H-F 7

Beginning to think LWE might be a bit overrated. And it's not based on one game. Based on multiple games and the poor performance of their conference.
I’d like to think that the NV defense had something to do with their questionable performance. I’d venture to say that no one contained the Beast running game this year better than NV.

Agreed Buck. The NV defense was solid all night. Neuqua D, severe wind conditions which led to conservative play calling by LWE on a grass field also contributed. PJJP the other questionable game was a final regular season game at Bradley Bourbonnais where the Griffins had 5 turnovers. Last night they had zero turnovers. This is upper level 8A and the jury is still out. Let’s see how the weather conditions play havoc with outcomes today. A lot of games remain to decide champions of the IHSA.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
I’d like to think that the NV defense had something to do with their questionable performance. I’d venture to say that no one contained the Beast running game this year better than NV.
From the outside, it looks like East favors pounding the rock hard early in the game to begin the wear-down process. To move the chains or flip some field, some pass is sprinkled in. Then later, the pay-off on the ground kicks in with the combination of higher yards per carry and clock consumption. NV had far less time with the ball in Q3 when they had the wind last night.

Last edited:
While a sliding ball carrier is defenseless that does not necessarily mean him being hit results in a foul. Defenseless means you can’t hit him in the head. If a player slides late, and the defender is committed or doesn’t have time to pull up, he can certainly be hit and it not be a foul. Defenseless players can be hit, they cannot be hit in the head(with force). Defenders are punished enough, asking them to defy physics because a QB can’t figure out when is when is just not fair.
Sorry
That’s not how it works now. If you hit a QB in his slide no matter where the hit is it’s going to be called. Ultimately it’s going to be the interpretation of the Ref, but your definitely opening yourself up to an in sportsmanship penalty. It’s the times we’re live in now. It’s not like it was years ago. Again I didn’t see the play so I am only going by what was posted.

Although just doing enough to get by tonight, East may get by one more round like this, but after that, they will need to step it up big-time. Between the close shaves in Week 9 and tonight, they seem to need a spike in play if aspiring for the top.
I have to agree with you to an extent. This isn’t the best East team I have seen. This team is different. I don’t know if they are good enough to win State? I will say it again this East team may not be the most talented team they have had but they are very determined. They definitely have the experience and drive to win it all. This team has a resolve that I have not seen with any other East team. They have a will to win it and they never get rattled. The last time they had a close game was BB and then they came back the following week and spanked Conant.
Let’s see what happens in the Quarterfinals.

Last edited:
If Warren gets past Andrew it sets up for two simlar teams going at it. It is not a given LWE is in state finals. The two teams played a close game a few years ago the player's are different but the coaches and style of play are very simlar. Both try to establish the run and use play action pass. Not sexy but highly effective during fall ball. All that slinging the ball atound does not work in bad conditions which is typical.this time of year. I will be in Tinley Park to see what my Flag will do. Hopefully WIN and advance. 🎢

Micah the weather in Tinley Park right now is no wind, no rain, and 62F. Perfect football weather. Seriously , this will be an interesting 50 MPH windy day for passing and kicking. Good luck and great draw for the Flag.

If Warren gets past Andrew it sets up for two simlar teams going at it. It is not a given LWE is in state finals. The two teams played a close game a few years ago the player's are different but the coaches and style of play are very simlar. Both try to establish the run and use play action pass. Not sexy but highly effective during fall ball. All that slinging the ball atound does not work in bad conditions which is typical.this time of year. I will be in Tinley Park to see what my Flag will do. Hopefully WIN and advance. 🎢
Good luck tonight Micahjones. I think Warren wins this one. 👍

Reactions: LakeCtyNewt
I have seen LWE play every game but one this year. They definitely have real issues. #29 (Ritter) is not playing, not sure why. One cornerback is really lost. And qb is inconsistent.

I sat on NEQUA side to get a better view given the pitched field and low visitor stands. NV fans were rather upset they did not kick a field goal and did not go for a 4th & inches against the wind...and punt resulted in a 2 yd punt. Criticism was not after the fact, but in real time.

LWE is playing Russian Roulette even in handing the ball off to the low-to-the-ground #23. He was handed the ball around his neck at least 5 times, which will result in a fumble or two... but LWE does not look sharp IMHO.

I originally thought they would meet Loyola in finals. I need to remember, these are kids and very unpredictable.

I have seen LWE play every game but one this year. They definitely have real issues. #29 (Ritter) is not playing, not sure why. One cornerback is really lost. And qb is inconsistent.

I sat on NEQUA side to get a better view given the pitched field and low visitor stands. NV fans were rather upset they did not kick a field goal and did not go for a 4th & inches against the wind...and punt resulted in a 2 yd punt. Criticism was not after the fact, but in real time.

LWE is playing Russian Roulette even in handing the ball off to the low-to-the-ground #23. He was handed the ball around his neck at least 5 times, which will result in a fumble or two... but LWE does not look sharp IMHO.

I originally thought they would meet Loyola in finals. I need to remember, these are kids and very unpredictable.
If you have seen all the LWE games surfer you know #23 saw his first real action in 3 games last night. #29 has been hurt for at least the same and not playing nor dressed.NV field goal attempt with the wind was a mess and the second one blocked from the middle. He would have been kicking into the wind later when they went for it on fourth. That was my question to Buck as to why they didn’t come out after half and try some practice kicks…or a serious warm up even.

If you have seen all the LWE games surfer you know #23 saw his first real action in 3 games last night. #29 has been hurt for at least the same and not playing nor dressed.NV field goal attempt with the wind was a mess and the second one blocked from the middle. He would have been kicking into the wind later when they went for it on fourth. That was my question to Buck as to why they didn’t come out after half and try some practice kicks…or a serious warm up even.
NV coaches don’t think that far ahead. Totally discombobulated. NV does well despite their coaching.

The fans around me were rather upset. The FG was practically an extra point from the 5... I was just listening to the grumbling. NV played tough. I hope their QB is OK.
Parents are beyond frustrated with the lack of situational awareness from the NV staff. ITT there are multiple examples of such. Every year. Every game. Yet the staff stays the same and never learns or tries to change the strategy. It’s maddening.

Reactions: corey90
Well you hope they can take into next season lessons learned prior. I remember LWE at St Charles East where Lincoln-Way was toast and the SCE coach elected to kick off to AJ Henning…not a good move and revived the Griffins. SCEast had a similar questionable decision maker on their sidelines. It will eventually work out Buck. Good luck next season.

Sorry
That’s not how it works now. If you hit a QB in his slide no matter where the hit is it’s going to be called. Ultimately it’s going to be the interpretation of the Ref, but your definitely opening yourself up to an in sportsmanship penalty. It’s the times we’re live in now. It’s not like it was years ago. Again I didn’t see the play so I am only going by what was posted.
No, that is how it works. A player who slides late and is hit by a committed defender doesn’t get additional protection unless he’s hit in the head. And it has nothing to do with “sportsmanship”. A contact foul is an unnecessary roughness foul, not unsportsmanlike. If you’re calling this unsportsmanlike you’re not only wrong by philosophy, you’re also wrong by rule and potentially taking a player one step closer to ejection. Personal fouls, like a late hit if they did hit a player who gave himself up with enough time+space for the defender to let up, do not count towards ejection. Unsportsmanlike fouls are generally non contact fouls that do count towards ejection.

• Haha
Reactions: crusader_of_90
No, that is how it works. A player who slides late and is hit by a committed defender doesn’t get additional protection unless he’s hit in the head. And it has nothing to do with “sportsmanship”. A contact foul is an unnecessary roughness foul, not unsportsmanlike. If you’re calling this unsportsmanlike you’re not only wrong by philosophy, you’re also wrong by rule and potentially taking a player one step closer to ejection. Personal fouls, like a late hit if they did hit a player who gave himself up with enough time+space for the defender to let up, do not count towards ejection. Unsportsmanlike fouls are generally non contact fouls that do count towards ejection.
A player who slides is a defenseless player. I will say a gain I didn’t see the play so not sure if he was sliding feet first and the defensive player hit him? The Refs made the call. Was it a 15 yard penalty? You are correct about the unsportsmanship. It’s unnecessary roughness call. 15 yard penalty. 😊

A player who slides is a defenseless player. I will say a gain I didn’t see the play so not sure if he was sliding feet first and the defensive player hit him? The Refs made the call. Was it a 15 yard penalty?
Defenseless player is a term that applies to illegal helmet contact/targeting. Not late hits. Defenseless simply means if you hit him in the head or neck it is a foul. Not that he cannot be hit. A receiver trying to catch a pass is defenseless. You obviously can hit him, but you can’t hit him in the head. A sliding player can be legally hit depending on when his slide starts in relation to the defender.

Defenseless player is a term that applies to illegal helmet contact/targeting. Not late hits. Defenseless simply means if you hit him in the head or neck it is a foul. Not that he cannot be hit. A receiver trying to catch a pass is defenseless. You obviously can hit him, but you can’t hit him in the head. A sliding player can be legally hit depending on when his slide starts in relation to the defender.
Their is the big question. The refs obviously felt he was sliding and then hit. It’s a unnecessary roughness. You can’t hit a QB that is sliding feet first.

Their is the big question. The refs obviously felt he was sliding and then hit. It’s a unnecessary roughness. You can’t hit a QB that is sliding feet first.
I’m not sure how many different ways I can explain to you that it is possible for a hit to be legal when a player slides. Obviously it can be a foul, but it’s not an absolute, feet first or not. And from what it sounds like on the play i was responding to I believe they did not call a foul. This is what led to me try to explain how that hitting a sliding ball carrier is not always necessarily a foul.
I didn’t see the play. Just trying to explain how a sliding defender can be legally hit provided he is not hit in the head/neck

Reactions: stripes13
I’m not sure how many different ways I can explain to you that it is possible for a hit to be legal when a player slides. Obviously it can be a foul, but it’s not an absolute, feet first or not. And from what it sounds like on the play i was responding to I believe they did not call a foul. This is what led to me try to explain how that hitting a sliding ball carrier is not always necessarily a foul.
I didn’t see the play. Just trying to explain how a sliding defender can be legally hit provided he is not hit in the head/neck
I had a parent yell at me that you can’t advance a fumble on fourth down.

• Haha
Reactions: Gene K.
I agree it can go uncalled. It’s the refs decision to make, based on where the slide started and when the defender started. I get this. If your a defender your in a tough position I get it. I didn’t make the call the ref made the call. You don’t think it was a foul and obviously you believe the ref was wrong. I am sure plenty of people on the East side thought it was a good call. If you didn’t see the play either then we’re arguing about something neither of us witnessed. Lol
Any how I totally get what your saying and don’t disagree with you. If I am coaching my defense but and a QB is sliding feet first i am telling my players if at all possible I don’t hit him he is already considered down.
👍

I had a parent yell at me that you can’t advance a fumble on fourth down.
At least they were out of the pocket before they fumbled 😝. The rules differ so much Friday>Saturday>Sunday and unfortunately people see more Saturday and Sunday so the Friday night guys have to deal with the ignorance

The problem started with the current staff. I knew a kid who was exceptional and they refused to play him. He ended up at Montini, starting at LB and winning a state title. Kaden Cobb, who led Fenwick to a title last year, is a Neuqua kid. Milivojevic, starting QB at St Francis, is another Neuqua kid.
No he isn’t a Neuqua kid. He is a St Francis kid! Just because he lives in The district doesn’t dictate ownership!

I’d feel 100% better if you had Ellinghaus prepping your team this week and we had Zvonar. 😎🤪
What is it with Naperville dads? This sounds just like the dad from NC. All you do is complain about the head coach. You obviously have a son on the team. No one is this passionate with their hatred for a head coach unless they have a son on the team. It’s pretty obvious which son is yours, you mention him as often as you can. I’ve coached high school football for 30 years, Div 3 for three years. I also helped out with my son’s youth team for a couple of years. I have coached at every level and have been both a defensive and offensive coordinator. I can’t say I was great at either one; I think I was a better than average position coach. I know a little bit about football but I think I know a lot more than most about football parents and their expectations. That being said, I am pretty sure you are considered to be “THAT” dad. Your son is the star of the team, he didn’t get the Big 10 scholarship, you coached his youth football team and won a championship of some sort. Might of even won it in Florida so you think it’s a Youth Football National Championship. Why can’t you just be happy for your son and his teammates for having a pretty darn good season and ended up losing a close game to the number one seeded and the best public school team in the State. I’ve been following Edgytim since 2000. Never posted until last week. For someone who comes across as knowing so much about football, I’m a little surprised you haven’t acknowledged the success they have had with playing the majority of their games with QB2. QB1 and QB2 have different skillsets. Not to take anything away from QB2, it looks like he did a great job. But I can only imagine they prepared all summer for QB1 then had to make a quick change at the beginning of the season. Apparently you don’t like his offense. I have seen three NV games. One with QB1 as starter and two with QB2 starting. Play calling was definitely different in both games. Looks like they were called with the strengths of the QB in mind. When you have a good defense, running the ball and using up the clock is a pretty good strategy. It’s not great to watch, receivers are not getting their stats, but it’s a good strategy. All I’m hearing about last nights game is the bad decision making by the head coach. How about the flee flicker where the receiver fell. That should have been a TD, is that the coaches fault? How about the two (could of been more) passes the QB overthrew the receiver on plays that would have resulted in touchdowns? Were they the coaches fault? There was a strong wind last night, tough to call plays. I thought the play calling was actually pretty good. Your constant bashing of the coach in this forum, with the neighborhood dads, and with your son and his friends does not help the team. It’s actually very selfish. Again, like I told the NC dad, it’s not going to get the coach fired. I just wish you could look back at the great season your son and his team had and be happy for them. I’m sure your negativity dampens the great high school experience your son and his teammates had. Remember, there is more to life than high school football.

What is it with Naperville dads? This sounds just like the dad from NC. All you do is complain about the head coach. You obviously have a son on the team. No one is this passionate with their hatred for a head coach unless they have a son on the team. It’s pretty obvious which son is yours, you mention him as often as you can. I’ve coached high school football for 30 years, Div 3 for three years. I also helped out with my son’s youth team for a couple of years. I have coached at every level and have been both a defensive and offensive coordinator. I can’t say I was great at either one; I think I was a better than average position coach. I know a little bit about football but I think I know a lot more than most about football parents and their expectations. That being said, I am pretty sure you are considered to be “THAT” dad. Your son is the star of the team, he didn’t get the Big 10 scholarship, you coached his youth football team and won a championship of some sort. Might of even won it in Florida so you think it’s a Youth Football National Championship. Why can’t you just be happy for your son and his teammates for having a pretty darn good season and ended up losing a close game to the number one seeded and the best public school team in the State. I’ve been following Edgytim since 2000. Never posted until last week. For someone who comes across as knowing so much about football, I’m a little surprised you haven’t acknowledged the success they have had with playing the majority of their games with QB2. QB1 and QB2 have different skillsets. Not to take anything away from QB2, it looks like he did a great job. But I can only imagine they prepared all summer for QB1 then had to make a quick change at the beginning of the season. Apparently you don’t like his offense. I have seen three NV games. One with QB1 as starter and two with QB2 starting. Play calling was definitely different in both games. Looks like they were called with the strengths of the QB in mind. When you have a good defense, running the ball and using up the clock is a pretty good strategy. It’s not great to watch, receivers are not getting their stats, but it’s a good strategy. All I’m hearing about last nights game is the bad decision making by the head coach. How about the flee flicker where the receiver fell. That should have been a TD, is that the coaches fault? How about the two (could of been more) passes the QB overthrew the receiver on plays that would have resulted in touchdowns? Were they the coaches fault? There was a strong wind last night, tough to call plays. I thought the play calling was actually pretty good. Your constant bashing of the coach in this forum, with the neighborhood dads, and with your son and his friends does not help the team. It’s actually very selfish. Again, like I told the NC dad, it’s not going to get the coach fired. I just wish you could look back at the great season your son and his team had and be happy for them. I’m sure your negativity dampens the great high school experience your son and his teammates had. Remember, there is more to life than high school football.
That’s brilliant.

I’ve never had a kid play FB at Neuqua. I’m a high school football fan who has been going to NV games since it opened. I’d like to think I understand the game just a bit.

Reactions: forlouann
He is a NV footprint kid is the point. We can argue semantics all day. His sister went to NV.
So you counted him before he officially enrolled. Lot of public school coaches do that
Their pride gets in the way and they won’t recruite their own district. They feel entitled. They often “screw it! We will have someone better anyway!”

regardless the best thing about Thanksgiving weekend is not football on Thanksgiving! It’s IHSA football state finals Friday and Saturday!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT