ADVERTISEMENT

Neuqua’s Jonny Rhattigan

NapervilleBuck

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Jonny has finally gotten his chance at West Point and he’s making the best of it. PFF has him as their highest graded LB so far. Great kid! They are playing UC today at 2:30 on ESPN. Should be a good one.
Qyo3jHR.jpg

hlesD3N.png

Must be Joey Rhattigan's younger brother. A talented family out there in Nequa Valley, producing student-athletes of a high caliber.
Indeed. TJ was a preferred walk on at Penn State, Joey was a captain at Princeton and his class won the most games in their 4 year run in the history of the program, and now Jonny Nation getting his chance. Pretty good lineage.

Saw it and he recovered the fumble that ended up leading to a touchdown. Very nice!
Very nice indeed. Too bad he blew out his knee his Junior year at Neuqua. That gave a lot of teams pause in recruiting him. He made the most of it for sure.

I usually enjoy watching Army/ Navy but that game was unwatchable I had to turn it off. Army finished with 162 yards of offense with Navy picking up 117, yuck.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
I usually enjoy watching Army/ Navy but that game was unwatchable I had to turn it off. Army finished with 162 yards of offense with Navy picking up 117, yuck.

These two teams always play each other tough. They are both running teams which usually leads to boring offense. I am happy for the kid he had a good game.

Will Rhattigan have to serve his 5 year commitment to Army after his playing days?
No. Since he is signed to the 53 man he isn’t obliged to fulfill the commitment. It wouldn’t surprise me, however, if he did go that route if this doesn’t last long. Making the league minimum ($660k) isn’t a bad alternative though.

• Love
Reactions: Gene K.
The obligation is just deferred. He will have to serve it at some time in some capacity.

From my understanding, he will accept a commission in the US Army Reserves, and be allowed to play in the NFL. He will have to serve two weeks on active duty per year, but this can be done during the off season.

Alejandro Villanueva (long time Steeler and now Baltimore Raven - attended USMA) had a very similar situation. Same with Malcom Butler from USNA, who is now on the Ravens Practice Squad.

Just to give a Hinsdale Central connection, Mike Johnson was an offensive Captain with Rhattigan at USMA. Always great to see a local kid get a shot at the highest level, especially coming out of a service academy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT