ADVERTISEMENT

Need some help identifying a game on video

Sparty Jones

Oct 28, 2004
I was converting some of my mom’s old Super 8 film to digital. My father passed away so I am doing this for my mom.

Anyway, at the beginning of this film, there is a football game and she doesn’t know what it is. Maybe some of the older guys could help. What stadium is it? What teams? Is this at Hanson? Is this college or high school? Weber? Gordon Tech? My dad is from Cragin Park and went to St. Pat’s but is not playing in this game. I think it’s 1961 or 1962.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Hanson does have the locker room entrance in the front of the bleachers as seen in the video.
Although I'm way more interested in the pig being roasted at the 2 min. mark.
Now, that's something!

Reactions: Sparty Jones
The fans clothing looks like the early 60s.

I checked my Mt Carmel yearbook that included the 1960 season. There are photos of MC playing Weber at Hanson.

Note, though, in the b/w pix in my yearbook, 'Weber wore white jerseys and dark pants for a home game. The pants did have the same stripe down the side as the pants in the film, so this leads me to think it is Weber. .But, their white jerseys did not have the "UCLA" shoulder stripes as the team in the film. The 1960 team was wearing jerseys with sleeve stripes (like the Detroit Lions.) Note, though, that schools back then didn't always have consistent home and road jersey designs.

The 1960 Weber helmets were white with a dark strip down the middle of the dome. I had trouble spotting a helmet in the film, except for one very brief moment and it looked all red.

One thing bothers me. The stadium in the film looks like it goes much higher than the stadium in my yearbook. I don't hink it's a matter of home and visitor sides. I think Hanson was consistent on both sides.

I believe that it is a Weber game, but not the 1960 season. Perhaps a year or two late when new uniforms were purchased..

I hope my comments weren't too confusing.

There is a Weber High School Alumni Association page on Facebook. I'm sure those guys could tell you. Be sure to include the years your dad attended.

The fans clothing looks like the early 60s.

I checked my Mt Carmel yearbook that included the 1960 season. There are photos of MC playing Weber at Hanson.

Note, though, in the b/w pix in my yearbook, 'Weber wore white jerseys and dark pants for a home game. The pants did have the same stripe down the side as the pants in the film, so this leads me to think it is Weber. .But, their white jerseys did not have the "UCLA" shoulder stripes as the team in the film. The 1960 team was wearing jerseys with sleeve stripes (like the Detroit Lions.) Note, though, that schools back then didn't always have consistent home and road jersey designs.

The 1960 Weber helmets were white with a dark strip down the middle of the dome. I had trouble spotting a helmet in the film, except for one very brief moment and it looked all red.

One thing bothers me. The stadium in the film looks like it goes much higher than the stadium in my yearbook. I don't hink it's a matter of home and visitor sides. I think Hanson was consistent on both sides.

I believe that it is a Weber game, but not the 1960 season. Perhaps a year or two late when new uniforms were purchased..

I hope my comments weren't too confusing.

There is a Weber High School Alumni Association page on Facebook. I'm sure those guys could tell you. Be sure to include the years your dad attended.
God, I use to love playing Weber in the early 90’s. Chop licking time!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT