ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA looking to increasee scholarship limits in football

A net positive for football. Some schools will have to cut walkons but with the COVID classes almost out of the system, this will open more opportunities for the classes of 2026 and beyond.

A net positive for football. Some schools will have to cut walkons but with the COVID classes almost out of the system, this will open more opportunities for the classes of 2026 and beyond.
Would be good to know how many schools need to reduce roster size considerably. I quickly looked at Georgia's posted roster and they listed 135 players, so at least 30 walk-ons would need to be cut (and more than that because you'd guess only a fraction of 20 new scholarships would go to existing walk-ons). Obviously it allows for more kids to get scholarships, but I wonder whether it overall adds or subtracts from kids being able to be on a team.

I hope those additional scholarships go to high school student athletes. Otherwise, it's just a bigger pot of talent for transfer portal/ free agency ! Less and less open scholarships go to HS athletes. Talented D1 kids are now taking D2, D3 or PWO. The Portal & NIL have changed HS Sports, not sure you can roll it back now.

I hope those additional scholarships go to high school student athletes. Otherwise, it's just a bigger pot of talent for transfer portal/ free agency ! Less and less open scholarships go to HS athletes. Talented D1 kids are now taking D2, D3 or PWO. The Portal & NIL have changed HS Sports, not sure you can roll it back now.
I would guess you will see more and more HS kids go FBS out of HS with the goal of moving up way more than in the past...

Reactions: micahjones
This is my exact take on all of this......you hope it means more to the HS kids but you'll just see more portal recruits.....and this also eliminate walk ons as we know them.

Reactions: micahjones
This is my exact take on all of this......you hope it means more to the HS kids but you'll just see more portal recruits.....and this also eliminate walk ons as we know them.
If most kids are happy to transfer, then you will just see the larger scholarship limits result in more transfers of kids "moving up". Seems like the real losers in the new landscape are hs kids who would like to be at the same school for 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT