ADVERTISEMENT

My Olympic highlight so far!

tomloner

Gold Member
Sep 21, 2004
Chicago
Think of a High School Team you support. Think about that team or player who wins in the last second of the match. Think of a kid(s) who trains thousands of hour over their life time for one moment. Remember the kids who never get that big win but puts the same effort as a champion.

All of the other stuff aside this is my Olympic highlight so far:

Think of a High School Team you support. Think about that team or player who wins in the last second of the match. Think of a kid(s) who trains thousands of hour over their life time for one moment. Remember the kids who never get that big win but puts the same effort as a champion.

All of the other stuff aside this is my Olympic highlight so far:

100% agree! That was great! Great for her and great for the community & country! Certainly a feel good moment.

Saluki night at the Olympics...Raven Saunders, NCAA womens shot put champion in 2015 at SIU, wins the silver...

Gwen Berry & Deanna Price in hammer throw...

Alum, former Saluki Head Coach, 4x Olympian, and 2016 USA Women's Head Track Coach at Rio Connie Price Smith mentioned...

Saluki night at the Olympics...Raven Saunders, NCAA womens shot put champion in 2015 at SIU, wins the silver...
Gwen Berry & Deanna Price in hammer throw...
Alum, former Saluki Head Coach, 4x Olympian, and 2016 USA Women's Head Track Coach at Rio Connie Price Smith mentioned...
Are you able to get past their medal ceremony conduct at the Olympics and Trials, respectively? Just asking - no judgments to follow from me.

No. Haven't watched anything Olympics related this year. Have had zero interests in it.

Ratings not good....

"For most nights at the Tokyo Olympics, NBC’s prime time coverage is drawing about half the audience that the Games had in Rio de Janeiro five years ago.

The numbers are sobering: Sunday’s NBC audience of 13 million was down 51% from the 26.7 million who watched the corresponding night in Rio. Saturday night was down 57%, last Wednesday down 53% and Tuesday down 58%, the Nielsen company said.

NBC’s best night last week, when it reached 16.2 million on Thursday, was still down 43% from Rio, Nielsen said."

Yep Colin, you're right. Not many at all watching for obvious reasons. I wasn't either. But now, my favorite moment was in learning wrestler Tamyra Mensah-Stock won the Gold in Women's 68-kilogram freestyle division and especially her press conference afterwards when she said: "I love representing the USA. I love living there. I love it, and I'm so happy I get to represent USA!" She said she "freaking loves living in the United States."

From my understanding as of 8:00 this morning, NBC still wasn't releasing that part of her comments. No surprise there. By the way, the rest of her comments are quite good as well. Congratulations to her.

Reactions: Gene K.
Ratings are down because of NBCs poor showing of the games in a lot of people's opinions. Long stretches of interesting, but not necessarily captivating sports like badminton, ping pong, etc. The higher number events are replayed in primetime like they are live instead of cutting to the chase. I don't need to see each athlete walkout and get introduced for a 200m sprint.

Ratings are down because of NBCs poor showing of the games in a lot of people's opinions. Long stretches of interesting, but not necessarily captivating sports like badminton, ping pong, etc. The higher number events are replayed in primetime like they are live instead of cutting to the chase. I don't need to see each athlete walkout and get introduced for a 200m sprint.
Could not agree more.

Yep Colin, you're right. Not many at all watching for obvious reasons. I wasn't either. But now, my favorite moment was in learning wrestler Tamyra Mensah-Stock won the Gold in Women's 68-kilogram freestyle division and especially her press conference afterwards when she said: "I love representing the USA. I love living there. I love it, and I'm so happy I get to represent USA!" She said she "freaking loves living in the United States."

From my understanding as of 8:00 this morning, NBC still wasn't releasing that part of her comments. No surprise there. By the way, the rest of her comments are quite good as well. Congratulations to her.
NBC no like those comments. It represents nationalism which is frowned upon.

There’s some great schadenfreude in these Olympics.
I got a kick out of the Greek guy winning the long jump. He had this look of “f you all, I won” and didn’t acknowledge any of the other competitors. Conversely the 2 high jumpers sharing the gold was awesome.

Reactions: ignazio
How about the US born Italian whose US serviceman dad ditched shortly after birth winning the 100m gold?

• Love
The events taking place in a 12hr time difference certainly is a factor.

But IMO, it’s the actions of the athletes that is the main reason. People don’t watch the NFL anymore because of athletes taking a knee, has to effect the olympics too.

When the women’s soccer team was upset, I found my gut reaction as who cares they lost. Hate that was my natural reaction.

People don’t watch the NFL anymore because of athletes taking a knee
That's a little bit of an stretch. Ratings were down about 7% last year, but still huge numbers. The one article I found said 69 of the top 100 rated broadcasts/shows were NFL.

The events taking place in a 12hr time difference certainly is a factor.

But IMO, it’s the actions of the athletes that is the main reason. People don’t watch the NFL anymore because of athletes taking a knee, has to effect the olympics too.

When the women’s soccer team was upset, I found my gut reaction as who cares they lost. Hate that was my natural reaction.
I will agree the NFL did lose some of the audience. My guess is it comes back this year, for the most part, when the stands are full again. This is a football first country and all levels have a good following. But some TV stations are doing their best to make it harder with their bulls**t PSAs and commercials telling us how we should all be acting.

As for the Olympics? Personally, I haven't watched much of the Olympics since 1988. Well, maybe a little in Atlanta. From those points and before I used to watch a lot of it. With a cultural shift we have witnessed (not good) here over the last 12 years or so, I think some people have just lost interest mainly because of some of the antics of some of the athletes.

You're right. When you see some of these people and their ridiculous displays to draw attention to themselves, it becomes hard to cheer for them. Interesting, I had the same reaction to the Women's soccer team. It never used to be that way when I watched as a young man.

All you need to see to emphasize my point is to look to the very little coverage Tamyra Mensha-Stock is drawing. Has NBC showed her entire press conference yet?

That's a little bit of an stretch. Ratings were down about 7% last year, but still huge numbers. The one article I found said 69 of the top 100 rated broadcasts/shows were NFL.
Should have said viewership is down - not that people don't watch it. Good catch.

I would say, most men over 50 in my network, won't watch the NFL anymore because of the kneeling.

I am an OG and I am watching a lot of the Olympics. I am a American and will root for all athletes trying to win for the USA . The fact we get to watch our athletes complete in so many different sports we don’t normally get to watch is not only awesome but very exciting. I don’t get the comment about culture? If you are an American and your competing for our country thats enough for me. I haven’t seen anything that is different from athletes in previous Olympics. If athletes are kneeling that’s not cool. It’s really not the venue to demonstrate IMO, but I still enjoy watching and rooting for our country. The woman’s beach volleyball is awesome. Go April Ross and Alix Klineman.

Should have said viewership is down - not that people don't watch it. Good catch.

I would say, most men over 50 in my network, won't watch the NFL anymore because of the kneeling.
In my group of friends, all in the 50-55 range, i don’t know anyone who has stopped watching the NFL because of kneeling.

• Sad
Reactions: corey90 and Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT