ADVERTISEMENT

My Mount Carmel preview

McCaravan

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2016
With the coaching change taking up most of the headlines, and understandably so, the 2018 team has quietly gone under the radar. Let me tell you, they have a ton of talent. The coaching change didn’t result in a mass exodus of players leaving, they all stayed and bought in.

Offense will be lead by D-1 RB Kyle Davis, a 1,000 yard rusher who committed to Western Michigan. Rad Premovic returns at QB after taking over the starting duties in week 8 last year and leading them to the semi finals. Very fast, great feet, doesn’t have a cannon but is accurate. The line will be anchored by Cincinnati commit Marcelo Mendiola, 6’5 290. The rest of the line all weighs in over 270, with, with 2 very impressive juniors. Pat Syzneiak (sp) returns at TE and has several D-1 offers as a long snapper. Liam McDonaugh is a returning starter at WR and is a huge target at 6’4. Look for Tony Livermore to be a big contributor at WR. He got #27 for a reason, he not as fast as Thomas but very quick and elusive.

Defense has a lot back and was a huge reason they made a big post season run. Dominic Barbosa (6’1 290) was a beast at nose last year and returns with Max Zackman (6’3 275) to lead the D-line. Koron Walker returns for his third season as a starter at OLB and flys all over the field. Strength will be the secondary with 3 returning starters and 4th who started part of last year. 3 year stater Eddie McGee and Davion Brooks return at the corners and Matt Lenti is an outstanding strong safety. Kieran Conjar and Marty O’Brien will handle the free safety position. Sean Mirr is back as the place kicker. Look for Sophomore Kennena Odeluga to contribute on both sides of the ball, as well as sophomores Ja’shawn Moore and Ben Perry. Soph Justin Lynch, brother of Jordan, is looking real good as the back up QB.

With Maine South and Loyola in week 2 and 3, it’s very possible they start 1-2, but a W against one of them could lead to a 8-1 season which would be huge for them after a tough off season in the media that none of these players had a thing to do with. WE ARE MC!

Most believe 7-2 is a given. Anything better is a plus. Anything else would be a minus. There will be a lot of hype for STL but MC is a solid favorite. But the playoffs will dictated how the team is judged. Not changing the offense too much but adding a passing element to it will make us a tougher nut to crack come November.

Last edited:
There was a freshman RB last season that people were raving about, do you know a name and if he is going to be getting carries regularly on the varsity this season? How does the rest of the front 7 look on defense? In the past the most successful seasons have included a stout front 7 on defense

There was a freshman RB last season that people were raving about, do you know a name and if he is going to be getting carries regularly on the varsity this season? How does the rest of the front 7 look on defense? In the past the most successful seasons have included a stout front 7 on defense
That’s Kenenna Odeluga. Ja’Shawn Moore was the other RB on Freshman last year. Moore was great but Odeluga was something special, over 20 rushing TDs and just a great all around athlete. Both are up on Varsity. Odeluga has been playing some defense, the kid can do pretty much anything. Cade Walsh should be the other OLB with junior Michael Foggie in the middle.

Thanks for the info. I’m hoping that the coaching change and all the hoopla over the Lenti situation and his new gig at STL will keep some of the pressure off the team and let them play free.

Thanks for the info. I’m hoping that the coaching change and all the hoopla over the Lenti situation and his new gig at STL will keep some of the pressure off the team and let them play free.
Look for Mendiola and Jalen Grant to go both ways on the line too.

I like what I see on paper. As always, it is nice to see the Brown- White to see how it plays out.

playing down in the lower division certainly will take pressure off the team. whatever their record is this year will need an asterisk next to it, denoting the "white flag" division or green whatever it is.

So if they beat Loyola, Maine south, providence, Fenwick, and then make a strong run in the playoffs, they still won’t be considered elite because their in the Catholic League Green conference?

Reactions: Gene K. and Bowie50
explain...its as accurate as the day is long. MC cant be elite if they aren't in the elite division. not sure how you can explain otherwise.
History counts for something, my man. I can assure you that MC is an elite program. What school do you support?

explain...its as accurate as the day is long. MC cant be elite if they aren't in the elite division. not sure how you can explain otherwise.
Is Maine South elite? I would not consider the CSL an "elite" conference/division (no slight to the CSL). So by your logic, a team can only be "elite" if they are in an "elite" conference/division. explain...My contention, is that you are taking shots at MC. How's my aim?

you haven't explained then why they aren't in the CCL Blue....if they are an elite team.
You didn't answer my question...what school do you support? Moreover, I do not believe that anyone on this thread boasted that MC is "elite". Further proof that you are just taking shots and probably have an axe to grind. Go take a shit in the lake.

Reactions: Eringobragh
Is Maine South elite? I would not consider the CSL an "elite" conference/division (no slight to the CSL). So by your logic, a team can only be "elite" if they are in an "elite" conference/division. explain...My contention, is that you are taking shots at MC. How's my aim?
you honestly are beating your chest about how great/elite MC is or could be this year after they willingly stepp'd down in conference competition? really dude?

Last edited:
you honestly are beating your chest about how great/elite MC is or could be this year after they willing stepp'd down in conference competition? really dude?
if I was a long time alum/ MC fan I would be embarrassed. go win your second tier division and call yourself elite....if that makes you feel good. how proud everyone will be there after winning something other than blue.

you honestly are beating your chest about how great/elite MC is or could be this year after they willing stepp'd down in conference competition? really dude?
Hey guy, I'm not beating my chest about MC. I played at Loyola and I'm a Rambler supporter. However, I have the utmost respect for the Men of Mt. Carmel because I played against them and some of the toughest sons-of-guns and best people I know went to MC.

Reactions: McCaravan
Guys a hand job Bowie50, like we’ve seen many times on this board, probably some 17 year old, don’t waste your time. If Loyola loses to MC make sure you put a * next to it! LOL.

Reactions: Bowie50
Hey guy, I'm not beating my chest about MC. I played at Loyola and I'm a Rambler supporter. However, I have the utmost respect for the Men of Mt. Carmel because I played against them and some of the toughest sons-of-guns and best people I know went to MC.
well those tough sons a guns just took a step down to easier competition...so can't be that tough.

all the schools in the CCL blue. and now you know how I feel about the ridiculousness of MC stepping down a division in the CCL. yes, I find it ridiculous.

Should MC be in the Blue? Absolutely. Is it fair criticizing MC stepping down to the Green? Absolutely. But, they are definitely an elite program. They also scheduled Maine South and will be playing Rambler. MC barely lost to an outstanding LZ team last year in the semifinals.

Awesome you are a fan of the Blue. Any views about Rita's chances this year. Always good to get another perspective.

Sounds like the team is loaded. They could easily surprise Loyola and Maine South. I'll bet that Beth Long and Mike Clark rank them higher than Edgy Tim, who waffled a bit with his rating.

i honestly don't understand how you call yourself elite and go an easier route with competition. i don't get it.

i honestly don't understand how you call yourself elite and go an easier route with competition. i don't get it.

From this point of view, the move is reasonable. The competition is easier, but Caravan is still playing two CCL Blue teams in addition to Maine South. Will MC sweep the Green? Yes. However, there will be some competitiveness in that conference. MC should be refreshed for a playoff run whereas some teams--beating the hell out of each other in conference play--could be "limping" in the playoffs. I always advocate Rita to play some weaker teams, especially toward the latter end of her schedule.

Look at Maine South. They play in a weak conference, but they schedule very tough non-conference games. Maine South is always making deep runs in the playoffs. Kudos to them.

Thoughts on Rita this year?

From this point of view, the move is reasonable. The competition is easier, but Caravan is still playing two CCL Blue teams in addition to Maine South. Will MC sweep the Green? Yes. However, there will be some competitiveness in that conference. MC should be refreshed for a playoff run whereas some teams--beating the hell out of each other in conference play--could be "limping" in the playoffs. I always advocate Rita to play some weaker teams, especially toward the latter end of her schedule.

Look at Maine South. They play in a weak conference, but they schedule very tough non-conference games. Maine South is always making deep runs in the playoffs. Kudos to them.

Thoughts on Rita this year?
This is a two year deal all, Rita may be next, or Rice...remember that

Reactions: kitty_bintingot
Let me take everyone down memory lane. It’s not like Lenti, at the time, called the IHSA and requested a move. All the coaches were tired of us beating on each other and teams missing the playoffs that were better then 70% of the teams who made it. IHSA said they would would move Montini to Blue and the team that finished last in the Blue would move to Green. That year MC was last in the blue. Taking into consideration of MC track record they could have declined, which would have sent Rita to the green, but Frank said MC would go down for two seasons and then we would reconvene. So we have to play in the green this season. We’re playing Maine South, Loyola, Providence, Laurence who made the semi finals 2 of the last three years, De La Salle who beat us last year, and Fenwick who was a very bad call from playing in the State Championship game two years ago, so it won’t be the cake walk you all think. Witty you don’t want Rita in the green, hope they don’t finish last next season.

The IHSA has nothing to do with CCL alignment. Sometimes I think people are so used to blaming the IHSA that it comes naturally.
I do apologize, I just assumed they had final say on conference realignment. But the rest of my post of how it came to be is fact. MC came in last in the conference whatever year the powers that be agreed to switch it around, so MC was slated to be moved. Lenti could have cried foul but took the move and in 2 seasons they will reconvene.

For the reasons I mentioned in another post, I would not mind SR playing in the Green. That's me. I believe given a choice that TK would not go to the Green. And when they do reconvene, the CCL should combine the Blue with the Green. Here is an example of what I would love to see. After two years, switch things around.

Blue: SR-MC-LA-Fenwick-SL

Green: BR-PC-MA-Bronco-Meteor

Reactions: McCaravan
you honestly are beating your chest about how great/elite MC is or could be this year after they willingly stepp'd down in conference competition? really dude?

When did he say how “great/elite” MC is? Seriously I challenge you to post the quote. I’m not even an MC fan, but until then GTFO . We don’t need your garbage posts here.

For the reasons I mentioned in another post, I would not mind SR playing in the Green. That's me. I believe given a choice that TK would not go to the Green. And when they do reconvene, the CCL should combine the Blue with the Green. Here is an example of what I would love to see. After two years, switch things around.

Blue: SR-MC-LA-Fenwick-SL

Green: BR-PC-MA-Bronco-Meteor
I think fair mix would be best as well

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT