ADVERTISEMENT

Mundelein

Varsity11

Nov 1, 2014
Why is Mundelein such a poor performing football operation every year? The are 5-58 in the last 63 games.

This is strange since they are a very good baseball and basketball program. Does Carmel take the football players?

It doesn't help having to play Stevenson, Libertyville, Lake Zurich and Lake Forest every year. But that doesn't answer the question, as years ago IIRC anyways, they were competitive.

Over the years Carmel has always had quite a few Mundelein kids play at Carmel. This year I believe 9 starters for Carmel live within the Mundelein school district.

Originally posted by piratesfball66:
Purely speculation, but they do have a very large drug problem over there.
Among the coaching staff or the students?

Originally posted by eagles2k3:
This is strange since they are a very good baseball and basketball program. Does Carmel take the football players?
Baseball yes, but BB no. BB was good a few years ago, team was terrible last year and will win less than 5 games this year .

Alrhough located in Mundelein, Carmel is closer to Libertyville HS than it is to Mundelein HS.

I don't think location really matters. Libertyville is a much better school academically than mundelein. I would guess Carmel has more kids go there that would've gone to mundelein than to libertyville. Just my honest guess.

I think it is likely multi-faceted...

Conference opponents of Stevenson, Gurnee Warren, Lake Zurich, Libertyville, and Lake Forest do not make things easy. Stevenson & Warren double the size of Mundelein and consistently field good teams. LZ, Libertyville, and LF, while comparable in size, have had no shortage of good teams in recent years.

Carmel certainly can't help matters either - I don't know of any publicly available statistics, but I'd venture to guess they pull a good # of their enrollment from Mundelein school district. I'd agree with previous poster, based upon academic metrics, parent's are more likely to get bang for their buck coming out of the Mundelein school district vs Libertyville.

Culturally MHS is ~40% Hispanic. While certainly not an absolute inhibitor to success, I'd imagine in comparison to many of their conference rivals, many students at the school may not grow up in a home/culture that puts a significant athletic emphasis on football compared to alternative sports.

This post was edited on 11/28 6:49 PM by TDCumm16

Originally posted by ignazio:

Originally posted by piratesfball66:
Purely speculation, but they do have a very large drug problem over there.
Among the coaching staff or the students?
That made me laugh

When Carmel first opened just about all of the students were from Mundelein and Libertyville, with a few north shore kids thrown in. Now I think they come from a much broader area, and only a handful from Libertyville. I am certainly no expert, but my perception is that Mundelein HS is not a bad school. Many of the best schools have drug issues, whether they impact the sports to any extent I have no idea, but don't single out Mundelein as a drug school. They can't compete with LHS, LZ, LF, Stevenson and Warren,and should be in the other division of the NSC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT