ADVERTISEMENT

Morris vs jca

There is a saying in sports “don’t believe the hype” but I can say it does not apply here as these have always been big, big games.
Many of the boys playing in Saturday’s game, and likely many of their parents, have little or no memory/experience of/with this rivalry.
After doing some digging, below is what I found; this Internet thing is really something!
This will be the 12th game of the rivalry with the Hilltoppers leading the series 7-4.
I believe I have seen 10 of the 11 games, so I have added my partisan commentary.
Yes, the ghost of John Dergo remains a haunting memory.
  • 1923 Morris won 6-0 in Morris --- I was not there
  • 1990 Hilltoppers won 36-10 in Joliet --- the USA Today had Morris Ranked 4th Nationally the week of the game
  • 1999 Hilltoppers won 16-14 in Joliet--- Morris Missed Field Goal with under a minute left
  • 2001 Hilltoppers won 27-20 in Champaign --- The Lonesome Polecat appeared
  • 2003 Hilltoppers won 14-10 in Joliet --- Hilltoppers had the ball with 4th and Inches late and Morris called time out with none left and an assistant coach went berserk and was flagged, the penalties resulted in a 1st Down allowing the clock to run out
  • 2004 Hilltoppers won 17-0 in Champaign --- The Morris team was acclaimed to be its best ever
  • 2005 Morris won 28-21 in Morris --- Dergo, Dergo, Dergo, Dergo ……… Dergo ……..
  • 2006 Morris won in Morris 27-21 --- The See-Saw scoring game
  • 2006 Morris won in Morris 21-18 --- “Woodshed” game
  • 2007 Hilltoppers won 55-15 in Joliet --- "Woodshed" retribution
  • 2011 Hilltoppers won 41-7 in Morris --- The 21-0 Halftime lead resulted in the quietest I have ever heard a Morris fanbase
  • 2023 in Morris …..

I have been at the majority of these games, with the 90 game being my first. Went and tailgated with some JCA alums that I had classes at JJC with. They were shocked when I told them I thought we were gonna lose that game. I didn’t think the final would be so lopsided tho.

I think that night was the single most incredible performance i've seen of any high school athlete. The kid left the field 3 times.......at the end of each quarter. Sought him out at mid-field after the game. I just felt compelled to shake his hand and congratulate him.

Where can I buy a #5 Dergo jersey?

Does the Morris Walmart sell them?

There is a saying in sports “don’t believe the hype” but I can say it does not apply here as these have always been big, big games.
Many of the boys playing in Saturday’s game, and likely many of their parents, have little or no memory/experience of/with this rivalry.
After doing some digging, below is what I found; this Internet thing is really something!
This will be the 12th game of the rivalry with the Hilltoppers leading the series 7-4.
I believe I have seen 10 of the 11 games, so I have added my partisan commentary.
Yes, the ghost of John Dergo remains a haunting memory.
  • 1923 Morris won 6-0 in Morris --- I was not there
  • 1990 Hilltoppers won 36-10 in Joliet --- the USA Today had Morris Ranked 4th Nationally the week of the game
  • 1999 Hilltoppers won 16-14 in Joliet--- Morris Missed Field Goal with under a minute left
  • 2001 Hilltoppers won 27-20 in Champaign --- The Lonesome Polecat appeared
  • 2003 Hilltoppers won 14-10 in Joliet --- Hilltoppers had the ball with 4th and Inches late and Morris called time out with none left and an assistant coach went berserk and was flagged, the penalties resulted in a 1st Down allowing the clock to run out
  • 2004 Hilltoppers won 17-0 in Champaign --- The Morris team was acclaimed to be its best ever
  • 2005 Morris won 28-21 in Morris --- Dergo, Dergo, Dergo, Dergo ……… Dergo ……..
  • 2006 Morris won in Morris 27-21 --- The See-Saw scoring game
  • 2006 Morris won in Morris 21-18 --- “Woodshed” game
  • 2007 Hilltoppers won 55-15 in Joliet --- "Woodshed" retribution
  • 2011 Hilltoppers won 41-7 in Morris --- The 21-0 Halftime lead resulted in the quietest I have ever heard a Morris fanbase
  • 2023 in Morris …..
Great review! Like you I’ve been to all by the 1923 game. Get there early for this one!

Anyone happen to know when ticket sales will commence? And it's Gofan sales only i presume ?? Thanks.

I have been at the majority of these games, with the 90 game being my first. Went and tailgated with some JCA alums that I had classes at JJC with. They were shocked when I told them I thought we were gonna lose that game. I didn’t think the final would be so lopsided tho.
Hard to believe that other than 1990 and then again with the last ones in 2007 & 2011, just about every matchup was a classic, often going right down to the wire.....99,01,03,04,05,06,06 again.

It's crazy how often these two wind up in the same class and how they are often very similarly competitive. Anyone who thinks JCA is "trophy shopping" in 5A has very clearly never been to a Morris-JCA playoff game. As good as it gets at the high school level and it would stink for the state if we didn't get these types of games.

In my mind, Morris enters as a 6.5 point favorite this year.

Hard to believe that other than 1990 and then again with the last ones in 2007 & 2011, just about every matchup was a classic, often going right down to the wire.....99,01,03,04,05,06,06 again.

It's crazy how often these two wind up in the same class and how they are often very similarly competitive. Anyone who thinks JCA is "trophy shopping" in 5A has very clearly never been to a Morris-JCA playoff game. As good as it gets at the high school level and it would stink for the state if we didn't get these types of games.

In my mind, Morris enters as a 6.5 point favorite this year.
Couldn't have said it better. I don't think Morris is that big of a favorite though, I see it as more of a pick'em. JCA will have the advantage in the trenches and that could be the difference. Could that lead to the return of the "lonesome polecat"???

Couldn't have said it better. I don't think Morris is that big of a favorite though, I see it as more of a pick'em. JCA will have the advantage in the trenches and that could be the difference. Could that lead to the return of the "lonesome polecat"???
4Afan
Totally agree. JCA will come to play. This will be a very close game. I give a slight edge to Morris only for being at home.

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
All.... Agree a close game. I think the Hilltoppers by a few. But I don't think it will be easy. Redskins are good. Projections favor JCA by the way. Ratsy

Massey - 35-24

CalPreps - 28-26

Last edited:
Info on tickets and gates opening per MCHS website.

Morris vs. JCA
Thanks. Got mine early this morning. I think this game could be decided on the leg of Pat Durkin. I'm guessing he could hit from 50-55 yards out. With little to no wind in the forecast at the moment, this could be quite telling. As i watch him in warm ups, his "ball" seems to have very little hook to it. That said, i rarely see him work the hash marks though. After the SHG game the other day, i just think this one could play out in a similar manner. Should be a great game either way. Hopefully another one for the history books.

Normally I’d say JCA wins this but after watching Morris play last Saturday, they looked pretty good in all phases of the game. I think it’s going to be a shoot out similar to last Saturdays game Morris played with SHG.

Normally I’d say JCA wins this but after watching Morris play last Saturday, they looked pretty good in all phases of the game. I think it’s going to be a shoot out similar to last Saturdays game Morris played with SHG.
I have Morris as a favorite, but part of that was me assuming they were battle tested. The last few weeks have made their purported strength of schedule unravel. Joliet West looked like a dominant win over an emerging team and then Ignatius pummeled West. Morris' biggest win of the regular season was Sycamore, who somewhat surprisingly lost to Morgan Park in round 2. Kaneland lost to LZ, but it wasn't particularly competitive. The Richmond-Burton win looked good and dominant. But then R-B got handled by SV who then got handled by Wheaton Academy. And I know they didn't play their best and still found a way to beat SHG, but I thought they were going to handle a 6-3 SHG team without too much drama.

If Morris is healthy, they are still the favorite for sure. But I had been talking myself into them being a fairly insurmountable foe. What I had previously considered to be a solid 5A league has been made to look fairly pedestrian the last few weeks though. But Morris is better than all those teams and it's all about individual matchups. Will the JC defensive front create havoc and can the secondary do just enough to contain Morris? Will Morris be able to run consistently? Is Morris at full health? Those will be the questions that determine the outcome.

Really hoping JC has saved a package with Johnson playing guard or tackle and just road grading on third and short situations. JC seems to have found some short yardage power backs the last few weeks as well. Hoping we see all of that this week.

If you're into this sort of thing:

Massey has JCA as 11 point favorites.

Calpreps has JCA as 2 point favorites, but I'm not sure it's updated yet as the location still says TBA

I wouldn't be surprised if the finalist from the south gets routed in the championship game.

I wouldn't be surprised if the finalist from the south gets routed in the championship game.
Let's see how this weekend goes, but I would be very surprised if that happened. Who is gonna do the routing? JCA had SF on the ropes and could have very easily won their match up and PC only lost to CoM by 11. I would think the championship game is going to be very competitive.

No doubt the north winner is the favorite to win it all. St. Francis has best odds to win it all. But if they get upset by Carmel or Naz (or even MP) then that team would have all the momentum and likely be widely favored.

That north semi will be legit. Naz-Carmel quarterfinal should be fun and the winner can definitely surprise SF and win a state championship.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Carmel win another state championship on this, the 20th anniversary of their first.

Reactions: USD24
No doubt the north winner is the favorite to win it all. St. Francis has best odds to win it all. But if they get upset by Carmel or Naz (or even MP) then that team would have all the momentum and likely be widely favored.

That north semi will be legit. Naz-Carmel quarterfinal should be fun and the winner can definitely surprise SF and win a state championship.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Carmel win another state championship on this, the 20th anniversary of their first.
IMO, they are the team to beat in 5A.

WHO'S HE?

As much as we would like to see some our past stars compete in these huge games, it's time for new stars to emerge from the 2023 version of these two teams in this classic matchup. :)
Exactly Kevin...Two of the Morris players broke offensive records that were over 40 years old. Time for the current kids to shine on both teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT