ADVERTISEMENT

Marist at Naz

So I’m assuming you personally know otherwise? Like the @Alexander32 said there are many differing opinions about this. So many people in our society complain about this “cancel culture” and “lynch mob” mentality that’s happening in our society. I’m not condoning what happened here, I just think unless one has personal knowledge on this guys character everyone shouldn’t be so quick to judge this guy based on less than 5 seconds of behavior. If it turns out he’s a complete a-hole who has no business dealing with kids then hang him. If it’s a one off and uncommon behavior based on people who actually know him I think that’s a little different.

There is another angle of this play that shows the hit. It was a pretty close call on a late hit IMO. Happens so fast it’s very hard to tell. Marist kid is a nice kid and excellent wrestler. Violent hit for sure. It was more of a throw than a hit. QB-1 flew through the air about 5 yards when he landed.
As McCaravan said, the number one rule is don't touch the kids. It's really quite simple. I didn't mention canceling, lynching, or hanging. I said "Yikes." As for your other angle of the play, who cares? That has no bearing on what the coach did. Coaches have to know better. It is both their job and responsibility.

As McCaravan said, the number one rule is don't touch the kids. It's really quite simple. I didn't mention canceling, lynching, or hanging. I said "Yikes." As for your other angle of the play, who cares? That has no bearing on what the coach did. Coaches have to know better. It is both their job and responsibility.
Of course you didn’t. Nor did I imply that you did. My point was a a society we are very quick to judge these situations. The quote that was posted followed by a “yikes” implies what a horrible decision they made in 2018. Could be I interpreted that wrong my apologies.

This “under no circumstances should a coach put hands on a kid” is violated just about every weekend in Illinois high school football. Solely in situations where these plays end up on the sidelines. Opposing teams players in a coaches face trash talking. You know how many coaches I’ve seen push a kid away in that situation? Scrums break out between players, the coaches are grabbing and throwing kids back into the field. Not implying that was the case here at all. But it certainly disproves this “under no circumstance “ policy being spoken of.

Remember, I’m not defending his actions here. We are all viewing this through a 5 second single angle video clip. Maybe there’s more to it.

Of course you didn’t. Nor did I imply that you did. My point was a a society we are very quick to judge these situations. The quote that was posted followed by a “yikes” implies what a horrible decision they made in 2018. Could be I interpreted that wrong my apologies.

This “under no circumstances should a coach put hands on a kid” is violated just about every weekend in Illinois high school football. Solely in situations where these plays end up on the sidelines. Opposing teams players in a coaches face trash talking. You know how many coaches I’ve seen push a kid away in that situation? Scrums break out between players, the coaches are grabbing and throwing kids back into the field. Not implying that was the case here at all. But it certainly disproves this “under no circumstance “ policy being spoken of.

Remember, I’m not defending his actions here. We are all viewing this through a 5 second single angle video clip. Maybe there’s more to it.

Sometimes a 5 second single angle video clip is all that is needed. What more could there be to it? I am asking honestly, what more could there have possibly been that would come close to justifying this grown man throwing a 17/18 year old kid down and standing over him (even if it was for just a few seconds).

The instances you’ve seen - the coaches have no business being on the field then. You don’t touch an opposing player, point blank. There are zero instances where a coach altercation with an opposing player is acceptable. Absolutely zero.

This doesn’t have anything to do with a “5 second clip” or cherrypicking a specific 5 second frame. It doesn’t have anything to do with cancel culture. The coach screwed up on something that shouldn’t allow a second chance. You DON’T touch the opposing players.

The instances you’ve seen - the coaches have no business being on the field then. You don’t touch an opposing player, point blank. There are zero instances where a coach altercation with an opposing player is acceptable. Absolutely zero.

This doesn’t have anything to do with a “5 second clip” or cherrypicking a specific 5 second frame. It doesn’t have anything to do with cancel culture. The coach screwed up on something that shouldn’t allow a second chance. You DON’T touch the opposing

This doesn’t have anything to do with a “5 second clip” or cherrypicking a specific 5 second frame. It doesn’t have anything to do with cancel culture. The coach screwed up on something that shouldn’t allow a second chance. You DON’T touch the opposing players.
I respectfully disagree. Especially on the 5 second clip part. The other views are out there. Unfortunately we just disagree. It happens. Not much more I can add here other than maybe it’d be best to let the 2 schools involved in this situation decide this coaches future. Maybe we’ll all be shocked at their conclusion. Maybe not.

Sometimes a 5 second single angle video clip is all that is needed. What more could there be to it? I am asking honestly, what more could there have possibly been that would come close to justifying this grown man throwing a 17/18 year old kid down and standing over him (even if it was for just a few seconds).
"What more could there be to it".....I don't know, maybe stating in a post that he kicked him, when he didn't?

Reactions: Vincennes6410
I agree with you on your view of the choice of the word “attacked”. I immediately felt the same, but that was the media being the media. They used the harshest word they officially could to get people to click on the article, and it worked. I work in a profession that deals with this from the media constantly. The initial post, that has been flushed, said that after the push there was a kick, I didn’t see any kick.

That being said, a termination, not suspension, is warranted in this situation. While we all know this coach did not take the sidelines that night with intent to push a teenage kid...his competitive emotions got the best of him and in two seconds he made a completely unnecessary decision, and it was caught in film, the media got a hold of it, and he will probably never coach again as a result.

None of us can cast the first stone here. We’ve all made poor judgements and let out emotions get the best of us in our lives and professions. But you have to face the consequences when you get caught.

Coaching rule #1, don’t touch the kids....now any of us 35 and over has probably been cracked by a coach numerous times at practice and didn’t bat an eyelash, but times have changed. The player from Marist who was pushed is probably the toughest kid in that school and anyone who knows him will agree, if he wanted too that coach could have been dropped by him. He probably wasn’t phased by this, and if this was 20 years ago it probably wouldn’t have been an issue, but in today’s climate, termination is the only decision that will suffice now that it’s public.
Your exactly right McCaravan. The problem I have with Alexander32 comment is saying if the guy doesn’t have a history of this behavior he should only be suspended. Wrong! This coach did something completely unacceptable. If this happened in the work place he would be terminated no question. I say this because Alexander32 mentioned he was a supervisor. If you lay hands on someone at work it’s termination. If you lay hands on a kid it’s definitely termination or worse. Their are certain violations you get a written warning, this violation is more than a written warning or a suspension. We are not even talking about embarrassing the school’s reputation and the possible legal action that could come.

Not much more I can add here other than maybe it’d be best to let the 2 schools involved in this situation decide this coaches future. Maybe we’ll all be shocked at their conclusion. Maybe not.
Absolutely not. The IHSA and CCL have guidelines. It is their job to enforce them. Those have been violated. Most other sports have Safesport and/or mandated reporter requirements and this coach disqualified himself from the privilege of working with youth athletes.

Absolutely not. The IHSA and CCL have guidelines. It is their job to enforce them. Those have been violated. Most other sports have Safesport and/or mandated reporter requirements and this coach disqualified himself from the privilege of working with youth athletes.
The almighty has spoken. I guess I’ll go with that then.

"What more could there be to it".....I don't know, maybe stating in a post that he kicked him, when he didn't?

What does someone posting something on a message board have to do with the fact that he did what we did?

I'm done on this topic; I've made my thoughts clear. I've coached a few different sports at a few different levels and stand by my belief that what was shown in that 5 second clip is unacceptable at any level and there's no "context" that can fix it.

Reactions: corey90
That may be the rule in coaching, but when I was a student in high school, some of the priests and lay teachers dished out corporal punishment. In grammar school, the nuns were even worse.
If I came home and told my parents they hit me, they would say "What the hell did you do to make them hit you?" and when I told them, they would hit me too! LOL....Like I said people who grew up in that era, this wouldn't have raised an eyebrow, but its a different climate now.

The tape cuts short (sorry I don't have a copy). You are right about the player. Coach is lucky the kid didn't stand up and toss him. His antics kept going for quite awhile when other Marist players came to their teammates aid. Trust me, I hate the mob and the media as much as anybody, but in this case I don't know how Naz keeps him. Friday can't come fast enough. Back to what happens on the field and not what happens off to the side. Maybe in the offseason when we are bored we should start a corporal punishment string. LOL. Again I think the Catholics would dominate the conversation, but our publics brothers and sisters may have a comment or two to add.

Reactions: McCaravan
The tape cuts short (sorry I don't have a copy). You are right about the player. Coach is lucky the kid didn't stand up and toss him. His antics kept going for quite awhile when other Marist players came to their teammates aid. Trust me, I hate the mob and the media as much as anybody, but in this case I don't know how Naz keeps him. Friday can't come fast enough. Back to what happens on the field and not what happens off to the side. Maybe in the offseason when we are bored we should start a corporal punishment string. LOL. Again I think the Catholics would dominate the conversation, but our publics brothers and sisters may have a comment or two to add.
Lol
Publics handed some of their own punishment back in the day. In Jr High I had to hold both hands out and received 10 slaps on each hand with a wood ruler. You can imagine how red my hands were. To be honest I can’t remember what I did to deserve the punishment. I went home and told my dad and he said good you probably deserved it. Times have changed and to tell the truth I hated that teacher ever since.

Reactions: Silver Rain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT