ADVERTISEMENT

Maine East 34, Aurora East 6

Alexander32

Oct 24, 2016
It appears Maine East may have its best team in many decades. The Blue Demons might win as many as three games, which would be a significant accomplishment considering they are accustomed to winning 0 or 1 game in recent years.

And I'm not being sarcastic. I graduated from Maine East and would very much like the guys to experience some success.

Congrats to the Blue Demons as I have many ties to that school.

Outside of family, their all-time best player was on our varsity staff @ Carmel Catholic in my HS years, and he was great!

One tough MF’r.

Last edited:
It appears Maine East may have its best team in many decades. The Blue Demons might win as many as three games, which would be a significant accomplishment considering they are accustomed to winning 0 or 1 game in recent years.

And I'm not being sarcastic. I graduated from Maine East and would very much like the guys to experience some success.
I too am a Maine East grad and played football, but can't judge them by this one game. The game is on demand on NFHS if you want to see it. Two things:
1.) East Aurora, who made the playoffs last year for the first time since 1982, have apparently reverted to historical form. They were not good.
2.) East Aurora kept coughing up the ball deep on their own side. ME was up 20-0 on maybe 60 yards of offense. THAT SAID, the difference was they were actually good enough to take advantage of those turnovers - in the past those opportunities would usually turn into zero points.

They've beaten Round Lake the last two times and came very close to beating Niles North. Plus Wheeling, who got walloped last night. Dare to dream... they could potentially go 4-5, but more realistically I could actually see them starting 2-0 and going 3-6 for the season. I think Edgy should put them in the "Other Teams" of the top 30 if they beat Round Lake next week just as a feel good 👍

Reactions: RockSoup
Congrats to the Blue Demons as I have many ties to that school.

Their all-time best player was on our varsity staff @ Carmel Catholic in my HS years, and he was great!

One tough MF’r.
Guy Boliaux I'm assuming.

He was a senior when I was a freshman. He was the varsity heighweight wrestler and I was the freshman team's heavyweight (185+lbs) wrestler. I had to practice with him one day - he literally picked me up in(ironically) a fireman's carry, held me parallel to the ground above his shoulders, and just dropped me. Ouch!

But football wise they went 9-1 that year and beat Maine South 41-18.. ah the good old days...

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexander32
Guy Boliaux I'm assuming.

He was a senior when I was a freshman. He was the varsity heighweight wrestler and I was the freshman team's heavyweight (185+lbs) wrestler. I had to practice with him one day - he literally picked me up in(ironically) a fireman's carry, held me parallel to the ground above his shoulders, and just dropped me. Ouch!

But football wise they went 9-1 that year and beat Maine South 41-18.. ah the good old days...
Didn't that Maine East team lose to St Laurence in the opening Wednesday playoff game? I believe Laurence were the defending 5A champions at the time

Reactions: crazylegs777
Yes Mike - I remember Guy telling us in my HS days the group StL sent out for the coin toss meant it wasn’t going to be a good outcome for the Blue Demons.

And it wasn’t.

Reactions: MIKEFTB
Who remembers Maine North? And don’t forget!!!! Son Of Svengooli Rich Koz went to Maine East :)

Didn't that Maine East team lose to St Laurence in the opening Wednesday playoff game? I believe Laurence were the defending 5A champions at the time
Yeah, it sucked. St Laurence was the defending 5A state champs, Maine East was 9-0 and had a great defense, had only given up 46 points in 9 games during the season.

St Laurence ran a triple option, which they'd never seen before, and Maine East got shredded by it - lost 35-0.

I remember the Norseman. They weren't in the CSL though, so we didn't play them like we did Maine South and Maine West.
I believe that Maine North, when it first opened played in the Central Suburban Conference for just a few seasons then it left for what was known as the 0'Hare Suburban Conference with Bensenville Fenton, Elmwood Park and Ridgewood and one other echool..I can't remember the last school but it only lasted a few seasons before disbanding and then they moved to the North Suburban where they to competed until the school closed which was '81. I believe Rockford West closeed that same year.

There you go...and now Fenton, Elmwood Park and Ridgewood are back together again in the Upstate Eight
And Maine North was the home of the Chicago Blitz & a health club at the same time- I met Greg Landry and George Allen swimming there; then it was the filming location for the Breakfast Club (Judd Nelson, with a fist pump, walked across where the Norsemen used to play); and finally (and I think "still") a Cook County Sheriff's office.

Reactions: ignazio
In the late 70s, when a number of North Suburban Conference teams left to form the Fox Valley Conference, the NSC was down to five members. To survive, they added Maine North, Niles North, Fenton and West Leyden.

After a few years, Maine North and West Leyden closed but Stevenson, Warren and Antioch came over from the Northwest Suburban Conference (which was essentially today's Northern Lake County Conference) and the NSC no longer needed non-Lake County schools.

Niles North returned to the CSL when Waukegan East & West combined. Fenton left and seems to always be looking for its next conference.

West Leyden didn't actually close. Just like the Waukegan schools East Leyden and West Leyden combined their athletic programs

Reactions: MIKEFTB
Played on the 77 Maine East team and the crazy thing is we go 9-0 and have to go on the road to Gately stadium. We should have been able to play with that team but got off to a bad start and things snowballed on us. We had a good physical D and should have been in the game. We also beat GBS for the conference title in in downpour by recovering a bad snap on a punt for the only score. GBS was 8-1 and didn't get in the playoffs.

My uncle still keeps in touch with teammates from that era. Has mentioned the names Baum and Lausen in stories he tells.

Graduated in ‘76, however.

Last edited:
Was a freshman when Jay Baum was a senior. His group got the program turned around however short lived it was. Jay and I ended up coaching against each other when he was at DGS and I was at GW. Had the privilege of working out for a little bit with Guy Bouliaux in his garage along with his brother Bryan. Guy was doing stuff with weights way ahead of most, this was way before schools were having their football players and athletes lift seriously.

Played on the 77 Maine East team and the crazy thing is we go 9-0 and have to go on the road to Gately stadium. We should have been able to play with that team but got off to a bad start and things snowballed on us. We had a good physical D and should have been in the game. We also beat GBS for the conference title in in downpour by recovering a bad snap on a punt for the only score. GBS was 8-1 and didn't get in the playoffs.
My brother was one of the staring Guards on the 76 team, and week nine all they had to do is beat Niles North and they would have made the playoffs that year too. Unfortunately they lost 28-20.

I think I can remember Jay Baum beating Niles West 62-8, Terry Brady beating Waukegan East 53-0, and you defeating Niles West 37-0. At one point Maine East was indeed really good.

By my senior year we'd fallen off and our only win was 27-0 over New Trier West for Homecoming. Though, we lost to GBN, who was the conference champ, by a 14-7 tally - And to Maine West, who was the conference champ the year prior, by a 7-6 score. We were close alot but just didn't win.

My brother was one of the staring Guards on the 76 team, and week nine all they had to do is beat Niles North and they would have made the playoffs that year too. Unfortunately they lost 28-20.

I think I can remember Jay Baum beating Niles West 62-8, Terry Brady beating Waukegan East 53-0, and you defeating Niles West 37-0. At one point Maine East was indeed really good.

By my senior year we'd fallen off and our only win was 27-0 over New Trier West for Homecoming. Though, we lost to GBN, who was the conference champ, by a 14-7 tally - And to Maine West, who was the conference champ the year prior, by a 7-6 score. We were close alot but just didn't win.
Wow, I had sort of forgot about that game in 76 but now remembering us playing our last game of the year on the sophs that year at NN. That was a darn good football team too. Sounds like you guys were a lot better than your record showed. Fun hearing some of your connections and at least there are a few of us who remember the glory days, lol. MS gets a lot of kudos and rightly so but I always tell people that my record vs MS as a player and coach is 6-1, nobody cares but as a ME grad I gotta let people know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT