ADVERTISEMENT

LWE at Marist

WIU78

Dec 27, 2006
First ever meeting of these two schools. Please fill us far southwest siders in on the digs at Marist...seating, parking, facilities..all look pretty impressive on video? Besides supplying QB’s to the Marist program , the Frankfort / Mokena area is lacking insight to the RedHawks program. Any help would be appreciated folks.

It’s just a shame that this game is a road game for East. I’ve said it many times that a team with the better seed should be home until the end.

said it last year when East has to go to Loyola and Rice has to go to Marist. Same thing here and in 7A.

Naz and Mt Carmel should be home this weekend. The rule sucks

It’s just a shame that this game is a road game for East. I’ve said it many times that a team with the better seed should be home until the end.

said it last year when East has to go to Loyola and Rice has to go to Marist. Same thing here and in 7A.

I agree
I have a hard time understanding why the lower seeds get home games in the Semi finals? Makes no sense.

I agree
I have a hard time understanding why the lower seeds get home games in the Semi finals? Makes no sense.

It’s the IHSA’s way if “fair and balanced” which totally devalues the regular season. Strength of schedule aside, if you are the higher seed you should get the home game.

The current rules are great. If you can't beat great teams on the road you don't deserve to advance.

The current rules are great. If you can't beat great teams on the road you don't deserve to advance.

Then by that logic Marist Meadows Willowbrook et al should all be on the road this week.

Then by that logic Marist Meadows Willowbrook et al should all be on the road this week.

I don't know what your talking about.

I'm not a big IHSA rule supporter but I really like the way they determine the home team in the playoffs.

I don't know what your talking about.

I'm not a big IHSA rule supporter but I really like the way they determine the home team in the playoffs.

we will disagree. You do the work in t he regular season for rewards in the post season. It’s silly but it isn’t changing.

The way the ihsa does seeds and hosting isn’t perfect, but what is? At the very least it is completely transparent.

Since Dawczak opted to go with Mikesell (SR) at QB, that team has really come around. Mikesell (IMO) is just as athletic as the Soph Jackson who has a great arm but not much on the touch yet. Their OL is playing well and their WRs Markett, Barry and Tate (yes a Frosh) are getting open and making catches. Also they have limited their turnovers big time. Their D is playing really well. No superstars just a bunch of kids playing as a team with a no quit attitude. LWE will still have the edge but with what Marist just did beating LA twice in the same season it is not going to be a layup for BEAST

The rule does suck. I agree with Newt, but I’ve seen my Ramblers on the road in the Semi’s several times with the better seed, i.e. 13, 15, 16, 17. Just win baby! Good luck to your son, Newt, and all of his teammates! Should be a great game! God I love high school football! Ain’t nothing like it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
The rule does suck. I agree with Newt, but I’ve seen my Ramblers on the road in the Semi’s several times with the better seed, i.e. 13, 15, 16, 17. Just win baby! Good luck to your son, Newt, and all of his teammates! Should be a great game! God I love high school football! Ain’t nothing like it!

I agree with both of you guys and if the IHSA has to give the lower seed a bone why not throw it to them in the earlier rounds not the semifinal.

Until the IHSA decides to seed based on an actual 1-32 ranking instead of how they currently do 1-32 I don't see the issue with how home field is decided in playoffs. You say reward them for the regular season but as we have seen this year and most years in the playoffs, some 5-4 teams are much better than some 9-0 or 8-1 teams. Why should you be rewarded with home field throughout the playoffs just because you play in a closed or bad conference and don't play any good teams until the playoffs.

This is one of my favorite seasons watching the Griffins. The reason is not just because they are different this year in a lot of ways but because all the different teams they are facing in the playoffs. They never played ND or Marist. It’s cool to see them square off against these quality teams.

Reactions: Bowie50
Marist is the best place to watch a game as there is no track around the field so fans are right on top of the action. Both LWE and Marist are family schools with nephews having played at both schools. A matchup I have been waiting for for 15 years I am guaranteed a trip to NIU. Plus hopefully the st Laurence Vikings will be playing that Friday v Simeon I know just the prep bowl but still.

Last edited:
Reactions: IgorStL
Back to Marist. Parking is good but might be a healthy walk to field. Like LWE they serve Beggers pizza Like LWE they have a good band and fan base. Like LWE they are a great team. I love both these programs. Top notch!! A great week to be a Viking and a Redhawk and a Griffin all at once !!!!

Thank you tmjGrady for the info. Any other suggestions are always appreciated from others as well. We know you are a bigger fan of the Griffins but have a hard time expressing that out loud. Kind of like voicing who your favorite child is...not easy to control the fallout after that becomes public knowledge!

Reactions: tmjgrady
If you get there early enough, there’s a baseball field on 117th and Karlov and you can park in their lot. I like parking there so I don’t feel like I’m parking in some homeowner’s residential space. You can grab a bite to eat at the hot dog and burger joint at 115th and Karlov and then walk into the stadium.

Reactions: IgorStL
My call here- East by 14..
1. until someone shows they can score on East proof is in the pudding
2. Disciplined team wins 99% of the time. East won’t kill them selves
3. A break out game by Henning is always a couple touches away!

I agree

Heres how it needs to be changed. The IHSA wants fairness in travel. So they should amend the rule on Home games. The higher seed in the first round gets to decide if they want to play at Home or Away. This is the reward you get for going 9-0/8-1. Those teams who are in the middle of the seeding would obviously choose to play at home i.e. Maine South vs Loyola this season. Because they lost a few games they don't get rewarded as much. Teams that have to face a #24 Seed Brother Rice or #23 Seed Marist team would also choose to play at home. But teams like Mount Carmel/Naz this season would say yes, we like our chances on the road 1st round. This gets an away game out of the way for them. What this also does is allow 5-4 or 6-3 teams, who may not make the playoffs often, to host a playoff game. Their seniors get to play at home, which I'm sure they'd rather do, and then the higher seeds would have a higher chance at hosting a Quarter or Semi-final game when the stakes are higher. They still travel equally but get the "tougher" games at home because it was earned throughout the season. And if a team elects to play Away and they lose then that's their fault.

Last edited:
I know the game is at 1, so might be a little early for some to start drinking, but you can park in Reilly's lot, grab a pint with lunch and Uber or walk the 5 blocks to Marist. I guess you could the same thing at Bourbon Street too.

Reactions: tmjgrady
My two cents. As oGrady said Marist is a phenomenal venue and can get crowded based on the weather and the opponent. Quality watering holes nearby. As far as talent we proudly recruit the sw burbs and many of the relocated grandparents proudly pay a portion of the Griffins tuition.

I know the game is at 1, so might be a little early for some to start drinking, but you can park in Reilly's lot, grab a pint with lunch and Uber or walk the 5 blocks to Marist. I guess you could the same thing at Bourbon Street too.
Be advised that walks from both watering holes to Marist field are every bit of one mile in length. If walking from Reilly's, plan on crossing to the east side of Pulaski to head south ... far more pedestrian-friendly route (no walkway along the cemetery on the west side of Pulaski). From Bourbon street, if too tipsy to walk hugging busy 115th Street (particularly on the north side), jog south a block and walk through the modest residential neighborhood along 115th Place to Pulaski.

Be advised that walks from both watering holes to Marist field are every bit of one mile in length. If walking from Reilly's, plan on crossing to the east side of Pulaski to head south ... far more pedestrian-friendly route (no walkway along the cemetery on the west side of Pulaski). From Bourbon street, if too tipsy to walk hugging busy 115th Street (particularly on the north side), jog south a block and walk through the modest residential neighborhood along 115th Place to Pulaski.
A mile? More like 5 blocks from door to gate.

I’d hate to be your grandkids someday, telling them you walked to school in 9 feet of snow on the regular (and liked it!)

Reactions: Eringobragh
First and foremost I agree on the home field advantage should be to the higher seed but as a counter I’d say the IHSA seeding sucks (a friend and me were talking about making the quarters a neutral site but I know logistics cannot handle it). How was not LWE the number 1 seed? Much respect to Minooka but that team is elite. So now you play at Marist...

If you are a Frankforter, get there as early possible. This comes from the experience of my Crusaders playing the Red Hawks last year. You aren’t parking in the lot so you have to park in the surrounding neighborhood. No worries, car will be safe but you will walk. “SEATING”, standing is limited, if there were ever a true home field advantage Marist has it. People working the gate are outstanding so that’s not a problem just getting in just might be.

The Marist fans are as respectable as anyone but they root for their Hawks and they are loud and fire up their team which is talented!!! Sidelines are close so there is no track separation which puts you close to the action. This will be the toughest game LWE plays all year due to opponent and home field for their opponent. Here’s to a great game between 2 awesome football schools!!!!

Last edited:
So maybe a pre ankle surgery person who can't really walk that far or stand that long, shouldn't go to this game :(

Heres how it needs to be changed. The IHSA wants fairness in travel. So they should amend the rule on Home games. The higher seed in the first round gets to decide if they want to play at Home or Away. This is the reward you get for going 9-0/8-1. Those teams who are in the middle of the seeding would obviously choose to play at home i.e. Maine South vs Loyola this season. Because they lost a few games they don't get rewarded as much. Teams that have to face a #24 Seed Brother Rice or #23 Seed Marist team would also choose to play at home. But teams like Mount Carmel/Naz this season would say yes, we like our chances on the road 1st round. This gets an away game out of the way for them. What this also does is allow 5-4 or 6-3 teams, who may not make the playoffs often, to host a playoff game. Their seniors get to play at home, which I'm sure they'd rather do, and then the higher seeds would have a higher chance at hosting a Quarter or Semi-final game when the stakes are higher. They still travel equally but get the "tougher" games at home because it was earned throughout the season. And if a team elects to play Away and they lose then that's their fault.

I like it and it makes sense. IHSA are you reading?

Reactions: Iamjaytee
Oh Marist.
Well I'm not sure there will be enough room on the sidelines for all of the LWE players. Theres about 1 man deep enough room. Until the field.
The 20 minute clock will end and the band will play for another 10.
I suggest LWE bring backup communication devices.

Oh Marist.
Well I'm not sure there will be enough room on the sidelines for all of the LWE players. Theres about 1 man deep enough room. Until the field.
I always get a kick out of the visiting team and their fans reaction when they think it’s about time to play ball. A little pre game show by the band and the school fight song in formation. When the visiting team first lines up for the anthem I’m always thinking that they may want to grab a seat and enjoy the show. But this is never done in post season as rules are rules. go redhawks. And go griffins!!!

Marist is the best place to watch a game as there is no track around the field so fans are right on top of the action. Both LWE and Marist are family schools with nephews having played at both schools. A matchup I have been waiting for for 15 years I am guaranteed a trip to NIU. Plus hopefully the st Laurence Vikings will be playing that Friday v Simeon I know just the prep bowl but still.

Visitors bleachers could use an upgrade

I agree
Play the game!! Everyone knows the rules going in. The IHSA members (the schools) are the ones who vote on these issues. Go complain to your school. Now put on the helmets and pads and play.

Oh Marist.
They do have a helluva band!

Outside of not having to make a long bus trip, I really don’t see the playing advantage of the home field in high school...yeah it’s nice to be at home but it’s not like your playing in front of 100,000 rabid fans in Death Valley, Alabama or the Big House. It never bothered me as a player and I had to go to ESL old field and St. Rita’s “The Pit”. MC played at Marist for their homecoming and it was loud, rowdy and MC won. Convince wise, I get it, advantage wise, I don’t and that’s just my opinion. LWE will have a ton of fans there and the 30 min bus ride won’t wear the players down.
LWE 31
Marist 21

It's about facilities and namely locker rooms. I do not know the regulations of what needs to be provided but at some schools it isn't really feasible to go in at halftime for the visiting team because of distance from the field. Also a comfort / familiarity thing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT