ADVERTISEMENT

LWE AT GBW

I was at the game, but there was a lot going on that had nothing to do with East. GB averaged 21 yards per punt, so they could not even punt; they could not seem to field a kick off; they could not kick off and sniff the end zone; and the multitude of fumbles by GB had little to do with massive hits. I have no idea how GB beat 8 other teams. East is good, but the effort did not seem to be there for the hitters.

I was at the game, but there was a lot going on that had nothing to do with East. GB averaged 21 yards per punt, so they could not even punt; they could not seem to field a kick off; they could not kick off and sniff the end zone; and the multitude of fumbles by GB had little to do with massive hits. I have no idea how GB beat 8 other teams. East is good, but the effort did not seem to be there for the hitters.

Yeah East tends to do that to teams. At least 7 teams they shut out. This was a good program/team at home. Don’t be fooled by what you saw. East is that good. What is going to say if they do the same thing next week?

I don’t disagree with Bones. You can absolutely acknowledge that LWE is playing on a different level than other teams and would have beaten any of the teams they have played even if those teams were having a more competitive season. This year’s version of STCE and GBW showed they didn’t belong on the same field. STCE of 2 years ago would have given them a better game but still would have lost by double digits. Just not by a forty freaking nine point shut out.

I don’t disagree with Bones. You can absolutely acknowledge that LWE is playing on a different level than other teams and would have beaten any of the teams they have played even if those teams were having a more competitive season. This year’s version of STCE and GBW showed they didn’t belong on the same field. STCE of 2 years ago would have given them a better game but still would have lost by double digits. Just not by a forty freaking nine point shut out.

I get it but let’s not just think that everyone is down. I keep thinking East might get a challenge and then they go and beat down the next team. I truly thought GBW would give them afight at home. I was wrong and I think they deserve full credit for punching the Hitters in their mouth at their home.

Yeah East tends to do that to teams. At least 7 teams they shut out. This was a good program/team at home. Don’t be fooled by what you saw. East is that good. What is going to say if they do the same thing next week?
GB must have tried the swing/bubble screen 8-10 times. Horizontal passes behind the line of scrimmage when your team is slower than the team you are playing is not a terribly clever play. I felt sorry for GB kids. I know their coach is supposed to be good, but c'mon man.

I think Maine South and Brother Rice can play with East. Maybe Loyola. But Beast does look like they are on another level...

Reactions: Cross Bones
GB must have tried the swing/bubble screen 8-10 times. Horizontal passes behind the line of scrimmage when your team is slower than the team you are playing is not a terribly clever play. I felt sorry for GB kids. I know their coach is supposed to be good, but c'mon man.

I think Maine South and Brother Rice can play with East. Maybe Loyola. But Beast does look like they are on another level...
Agreed with the thoughts on that bubble screen. Can't go east and west against an aggressive fast D. You have to go vertical. Almost the opposite with the running game, best bet would be quick off tackles, quick tosses, jet sweeps etc.

Defensively, if you have to sell out to stop the run youve got no chance. Maybe if the weather gets frigid. You have to be able to win 2 of the individual matchups between your DL and the LWE OL.

Stupid comment of the week...by GBW delusional coach:

"It's going to sound crazy, but I thought we played good defensively," said Hilltoppers coach Chad Hetlet

Yes, it sounds worse than crazy...idiotic. Coach, with 15 seconds left in the first half your D gives up a 29 yard TD run... Uh, East could have scored 75+ points if they wanted to. The best defense GBW put up was a running clock. Sorry to be so vocal, but this coach just got pi@@ed on and he thought it was raining.

Videosurfer..wow just wow. You just made a lot of friends at GBW and anyone that appreciates high school coaches in general. What plays would you have called against LWE if you are a run first team and have no time to pass?

Videosurfer..wow just wow. You just made a lot of friends at GBW and anyone that appreciates high school coaches in general. What plays would you have called against LWE if you are a run first team and have no time to pass?
Agreed here too. Run heavy teams better be able to do some PA pass. If not it's gonna be mighty hard to run with 10 in the box.

I just hope teams think they can run vertically against East defense. They will stuff that sh#t down. Pass vertical? Maybe until they pick you off and return it for a TD. Listen East D is good and their offense is good. One poster said it early on. You better be well rounded and even then East still maybe better.

When a team's defense gives up 300 yards of offense in a half and the coach says they played good defense, it is plain stupid. I may get kicked off the board, but if folks want to hate on me for telling the truth, that is fine.

As for what I would have called, I do not know enough about the talent on the team. But, maybe someone from GBW will think they played a heck of a great offensive game too...

As a GE resident and Hitter fan by locale, it would be SO much easier to not have to post, but I know if West had won, I'd want to read what the opponent's fans thought. I read the 30-40 point predictions here, the running clock bravado, and not having seen LWE this season, just brushed it all off as fanatics. Well, hats off to that fandom, and the team. While I admit West played an awful, awful, game, the LWE performance has to be judged independent of that...and it was amazing, outstanding...not sure what other words I can use. Just, wow. Enjoy it. Good luck..not sure you need any though.

Stupid comment of the week...by GBW delusional coach:

"It's going to sound crazy, but I thought we played good defensively," said Hilltoppers coach Chad Hetlet

Yes, it sounds worse than crazy...idiotic. Coach, with 15 seconds left in the first half your D gives up a 29 yard TD run... Uh, East could have scored 75+ points if they wanted to. The best defense GBW put up was a running clock. Sorry to be so vocal, but this coach just got pi@@ed on and he thought it was raining.

Classy.

As a GE resident and Hitter fan by locale, it would be SO much easier to not have to post, but I know if West had won, I'd want to read what the opponent's fans thought. I read the 30-40 point predictions here, the running clock bravado, and not having seen LWE this season, just brushed it all off as fanatics. Well, hats off to that fandom, and the team. While I admit West played an awful, awful, game, the LWE performance has to be judged independent of that...and it was amazing, outstanding...not sure what other words I can use. Just, wow. Enjoy it. Good luck..not sure you need any though.
I really don’t believe the LWE faithful were the ones with the 30-40 point predictions. 2012 was not that long ago for most of those followers to forget the defensive scheme the Hitters came at the Griffins with from their “idiotic” coach. Not my words there. To be here and say this was expected just was not my thought. Is this team at LWE special compared to the 18 year sample size..yes. The offense on the field is a bonus for a defensive minded program and to beat as I have said before a blue blood in GBW is a first for the Griffins in three tries. Now if only we could have that 2012 trophy back!

Completely sympathize with everything you just said. As a Saints fan, we took a beating in round 1 and there were no excuses to be made. The right thing to do is give credit where it’s due and acknowledge that LWE is a great football team. Most of their fans are proud and handle their teams success well. A couple may have discarded being humble in favor of being boastful but I don’t get too worked up by that either because to the victor goes the spoils and winning by those convincing margins are hard not to brag about.

Very classy post. CGsupporter I never thought East would win by 30-40 because I have to much respect for the GBW program. Regardless of the outcome in this game the Hitters are simply a class program built a lot like East. Hardnose disaplined Football team. I have no doubt they will be back on top soon. I do believe we are witnessing something special with my Lincoln-Way East Griffins.

Keep your heads up Hitters you guys have class!

Go East!

Reactions: markmacaluso
Am I the only person ever who showed up early and parked in the lot right by Duchon? I realize that makes me boring but it made sense to me.

Reactions: Iamjaytee
Well said but only clarification is little brother roided out while away at school ( by taking on 1,000 students/50 football players from LWN) so this is a different LWE than GW has previously played.

One thing I will say is big brother will lay everything out to maintain the family pecking order. Hetlet will have them playing out of their minds. Even if the score gets lopsided.

Cap
So agree. Gota love the Hitter program. Total respect. They ran into a very special team this year.

Reactions: capnbillhitters
Am I the only person ever who showed up early and parked in the lot right by Duchon? I realize that makes me boring but it made sense to me.
A lot of East people were in that lot including me. Honestly, I think we outnumbered the GW fanbase.

While in the LWE stands yesterday a chant of "Lockport's better" broke out. I don't for one second think that the LWE faithful feel Lockport was better than GBW this year, but it does highlight a point I was saying later in the season that this LWE team is so far better than everyone else that they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 'Brook and T'Wood or in this case a Glenbard West and a Lockport even though there likely are huge differences between those teams.

While in the LWE stands yesterday a chant of "Lockport's better" broke out. I don't for one second think that the LWE faithful feel Lockport was better than GBW this year, but it does highlight a point I was saying later in the season that this LWE team is so far better than everyone else that they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a 'Brook and T'Wood or in this case a Glenbard West and a Lockport even though there likely are huge differences between those teams.
That was the student section and not the opinion of the stands as a whole. I stated in a different post that I don’t think this was the best GW had to offer. I think on a different day the results would much different. Not the outcome, but rather the score. I’m grateful nobody got hurt. I can say GW #51 was hurt all day and never gave up. Keep you heads up GW. As you know, we’ve been there. GO BLUE!!

Lockport was sitting at home GW was playing! Lockport got handed 63-0 with East done by the end of the 1st qtr. No comparison in the 2 teams & programs.
Remember East is getting better every game. The last 3 games were shutouts.

Oh no, I did that too! I do that everywhere, even home! Gotta get that parking spot and that 50 yard line seat!!

So its okay for student fans to ridicule an opponent? Just asking for a friend.
Got to agree that the chants are embarrassing. I spend my time calling out coaches though...not the kids. HF coach is an ass...throwing this out because I have not had the opportunity in a while.

Reactions: WIU78
I am not butt hurt as I like the LWE team but feel that it was done a disservice by some of its immature fans. I for one do not like kids ridiculing or making fun of the opposing team ever. Total lack of respect being shown by kids who most likely couldn't play a down in high school football.

In my opinion that shows a total lack of class given that LWE has always been a school recognized for their sportsmanship and good football playing teams.

If the shoe were on the other foot and LWE was losing big time would it be okay for the opponent fans to chant such rubbish. I think not.

I am not butt hurt as I like the LWE team but feel that it was done a disservice by some of its immature fans. I for one do not like kids ridiculing or making fun of the opposing team ever. Total lack of respect being shown by kids who most likely couldn't play a down in high school football.

In my opinion that shows a total lack of class given that LWE has always been a school recognized for their sportsmanship and good football playing teams.

If the shoe were on the other foot and LWE was losing big time would it be okay for the opponent fans to chant such rubbish. I think not.
Did they really use the word rubbish?!? Oh my.

Reactions: capnbillhitters
Chanting student sections is the best part of going to a HS Football Game. It creates a great atmosphere. As long as no profanities are used or they are not mocking an injured player. Otherwise, Love It!

Reactions: WIU78 and SoCliche
Small potatoes...go to any rivals basketball game if you want fun. I would advise a Brother Rice basketball game for viewing enjoyment.

Reactions: SoCliche
Against West Aurora in hoops last year they hit us with the "You need Nana" referring to graduated F Nana Akenton who is at Nebraska. We did need Nana.

Reactions: WIU78
I guess a lot of folks are okay with the negative chanting. My opinion is my opinion, sorry I don't share some of your views. I like Lockport too Bones. Still think 99% of those chanters would shit their pants if confronted by most of the players on the field. It's all fun and games if you like taunting others. IMO root for your team but not get negative towards another team or player. Guess I'm old fashioned when it comes to sportsmanship whether on the field or in the stands.

BTW Could this negative behavior carry over into the classroom with bullying or other egregious acts? Remember its all fun and games unless you are the target then its not okay right?

In the 1st quarter of the game a member of the GBW Defense stood over the top of our QB who had been knocked down posturing and smack talking...hmmm didn’t see him complaining, he just got up and rallied his team. The score was 0-0 at that point and only 3-0 at the end of the first...

I guess a lot of folks are okay with the negative chanting. My opinion is my opinion, sorry I don't share some of your views. I like Lockport too Bones. Still think 99% of those chanters would shit their pants if confronted by most of the players on the field. It's all fun and games if you like taunting others. IMO root for your team but not get negative towards another team or player. Guess I'm old fashioned when it comes to sportsmanship whether on the field or in the stands.

BTW Could this negative behavior carry over into the classroom with bullying or other egregious acts? Remember its all fun and games unless you are the target then its not okay right?

I think if the chants get dirty, it's uncalled for. Most of the LWE chants are clever. For instance, last year at LWC, they were chanting "We don't miss you" in reference to the reconfiguration of the schools. This year with LWC visiting LWE the LWC students responded with a cheer about having higher SAT scores. If you want to shut the LWE student section up, then beat the Griffins on the field.

Reactions: SoCliche
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT