ADVERTISEMENT

Loyola v Lyons Township

80sRambler

Gold Member
Oct 28, 2022
First time post, long-time lurker.

Who can help with a breakdown of the Loyola/Lyons game? I know LA fairly well but Lyons not at all.

Despite being a mostly passing attack — and a very good one at that — this year, LA got off the bus running in round 2 and amassed 400 yards (300 in first half!) with their 3rd, 4th, and 5th string backs. Their OL is massive, even by LA standards, and appears to be peaking at the right time. I expect LA to score a lot and hope that their defense can make enough stops to hang on.

I’m seeing some support for Lyons in this game in the WSC thread. What’s their reason to believe in this game? What should we be looking for?

Last edited:

Who can help with a breakdown of the Loyola/Lyons game? I know LA fairly well but Lyons not at all.

Despite being a mostly passing attack — and a very good one at that — this year, LA got off the bus running in round 2 and amassed 400 yards (300 in first half!) with their 3rd, 4th, and 5th string backs. Their OL is massive, even by LA standards, and appears to be peaking at the right time. I expect LA to score a lot and hope that their defense can make enough stops to hang on.

I’m seeing some support for Lyons in this game in the WSC thread. What’s their reason to believe in this game? What should we be looking for?

Ramblers win Big

Reactions: McCaravan
Hollywood with the best draw this year! Depleted backfield or not they should be fine. Next week will come the test.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
I expect LA to score a lot and hope that their defense can make enough stops to hang on.

Not sure if you meant this, but it seems like you suspect that the LA defense might be vulnerable in this game.

Whether you meant it or not, I think it's important to caution people not to underestimate this Rambler defense. Do not be fooled by points allowed. Last week, the Rambler first team D absolutely smothered Edwardsville in the first half. And that has been a pretty common theme this year.

What happens is the offense puts up big first half points and the defense is stout. Those points remain but generally aren't added to at the same first half rate in the second half, as that is when the second and third teamers play and gain valuable experience. The consequence of that is that most of the points LA has scored has been with the first team offense against a first team defense, and most of the points allowed has come against LA's second and third team D playing the opponent's first team O trying to come from behind.

That has been the reality for a lot of LA teams in recent years. It's how they avoid running up the score, how they give younger players lots of playing time, and how they minimize first teamers from getting banged up. The down side is that it keeps studs like Pemberton from putting up crazy personal numbers because they are on the sidelines for half of many games.

Last edited:
Not sure if you meant this, but it seems like you suspect that the LA defense might be vulnerable in this game.

Yeah, I was mostly sandbagging. And I get the dynamics of pulling the starters, sometimes as early as mid-2nd quarter this season. That said, if I had to characterize this year's team it would be as an offensive juggernaut more than a shut down D. But you are correct... both are excellent. The D has had numerous dominant moments.

I'm very excited to see what the offense does this week now that it has shown it can also execute a dominant traditional run game to pair with Stearney's dual threat. (I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Edwardsville game was our first game where the running backs rolled up big numbers.)

Reactions: Gene K.
Very questionable fake punt attempt failed, giving LT the ball on the LA 25. LT scored 4 plays later to make it 21-10. 9:22 in the 3rd.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
Too bad LT didn't get their O going until it was 14-0 LA, might have been a little bit different game. I left at half to come home and watch some free streaming. Probably be back next weekend.

Too bad LT didn't get their O going until it was 14-0 LA, might have been a little bit different game. I left at half to come home and watch some free streaming. Probably be back next weekend.
Loyola looked beatable today...just not by LT.

This will be a very good game. Loyola (coaching, especially) has all the experience of playing in the rarified air of the semi-finals. York has, by most measures, exceeded expectations this season, but they are playing like a team on a mission, and they fear no one. York 38-35, I hope, to set up a York-GW final.

This will be a very good game. Loyola (coaching, especially) has all the experience of playing in the rarified air of the semi-finals. York has, by most measures, exceeded expectations this season, but they are playing like a team on a mission, and they fear no one. York 38-35, I hope, to set up a York-GW final.
That would be an insane final. So much recent history and story lines. Both teams know each other. I would even head down to Champaign for an 8A Final of York and GW.

Reactions: chuck998
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT