ADVERTISEMENT

Loyola - MS

MS by 10. Still a great day to be a Rambler. An even better one to be a Hawk.

Reactions: PRokie
Based on the equivalence properties of equality where : If a = b and b = c, then a = c. Loyola = A / Mt Carmel = B / Main South =C . Then we have 12 to 17 / 7 to 14 - we have LA loosing by 12 ...............however LA throws I think 4 or 5 picks in that game and gets denied on the goal line to win it on the last play of the game to seal the Jordan Lynch legacy era with a Caravan victory !.....Plus these are high school kids .......and they are not the sames teams as 8 weeks ago......MS has to be favored by at least 7 1/2 given it is a home game. Love picking the underdogs and think the Ramblers have made some strides the last five games in righting the ship. LA by 10 ......LA defense steps up big time to stop the Hawks.

I’m thinking 32-24, MS

We have a tendency to be very inconsistent in our kicking game.

Throw all the records and hype out the window, LA/MS never disappoint!!!

However it turns out, I hope the boys are all healthy and leave this game injury free. Obvious reasons aside, whomever the victor may be will need everyone to compete the following week with the GFHSFTOAT.

What's the historical record between these 2 teams?

Everyone seems to have one opponent who has their number? Does MS just have Loyola's number?

What's the historical record between these 2 teams?

Everyone seems to have one opponent who has their number? Does MS just have Loyola's number?

No, they don't, unless you consider MS having a 4-3 playoff record against Loyola to be having their number.

Since 2013, Loyola is 3-1 against MS if you count regular season and playoff games.

Reactions: n2f88
No, they don't, unless you consider MS having a 4-3 playoff record against Loyola to be having their number.

Since 2013, Loyola is 3-1 against MS if you count regular season and playoff games.

That 1 happened to be a big one, however. Also, I wish MS and Loyola was a 10 year contract for week 2 ( or was it week 1?)... either way I loved the early competition

this has turned into a great tradition in the post season going back over 10 years now. Who y’all got? MS by 14 for me

n2f88:

It think it's foolhardy to predict a final score or margin of victory for this game. I do not doubt the purity of your intentions for this thread; I tend to believe you are aiming to cultivate a healthy conversation.

Although I would prefer a LA win, the Ramblers' trend is to overcome MS in the regular season and MS earning a wins the playoffs. It's an infuriating course in the development of the rivalry, but one which I have come to reluctantly accept. I would love a reversal, a permanent one, but at the moment, I don't see LA with enough to prevail this Saturday.

Regardless, I know the game promises to be exciting, as every other LA-MS game over the past decade has been.

n2f88:

It think it's foolhardy to predict a final score or margin of victory for this game. I do not doubt the purity of your intentions for this thread; I tend to believe you are aiming to cultivate a healthy conversation.

Although I would prefer a LA win, the Ramblers' trend is to overcome MS in the regular season and MS earning a wins the playoffs. It's an infuriating course in the development of the rivalry, but one which I have come to reluctantly accept. I would love a reversal, a permanent one, but at the moment, I don't see LA with enough to prevail this Saturday.

Regardless, I know the game promises to be exciting, as every other LA-MS game over the past decade has been.

How foolhardy of me

Loyola vs Maine South!!
2 Behemoths going at it yet again, a quarter final game?!

As an arm chair Guru........watching on my "smart tv".........I pick Loyola, their healthy.

As a gambler.....⛵......gotta go "all-in",....on Swagger High at Swagger High!

Based on the equivalence properties of equality where : If a = b and b = c, then a = c. Loyola = A / Mt Carmel = B / Main South =C . Then we have 12 to 17 / 7 to 14 - we have LA loosing by 12 ...............however LA throws I think 4 or 5 picks in that game and gets denied on the goal line to win it on the last play of the game to seal the Jordan Lynch legacy era with a Caravan victory !.....Plus these are high school kids .......and they are not the sames teams as 8 weeks ago......MS has to be favored by at least 7 1/2 given it is a home game. Love picking the underdogs and think the Ramblers have made some strides the last five games in righting the ship. LA by 10 ......LA defense steps up big time to stop the Hawks.
Pure fantasy posing like academics. LA will wish they hadn't refused to play MS on week 2 each season - just to figure the Hawks out. Egos be damned...

Both teams are defensively-minded. And only one team has Coach Bliss. 33-7 at Wilson Field.

Reactions: PRokie
I’m a MS guy but went to watch the Academy last weekend and came away with 2 thoughts...LA defense is for real and how do they not have a QB that can get those WR’S the ball. MS will get some big plays and maybe a long(10 plays) drive or 2; and I think 24 to 31 points. If LA QB shows up and can get the ball downfield several times and mix and match their 2 RBs they can score some TD’s. LA special teams have noticeable advantage over MS. I just think it will take a very good game from LA QB to get the points necessary to beat my Hawks.
With that being said it will be 34 degrees and if either team is plus 2 in TOs they win.

this has turned into a great tradition in the post season going back over 10 years now. Who y’all got? MS by 14 for me
I have MS traveling to LWE next week. Stay healthy and good luck to all. GO BLUE!!

Reactions: Iamjaytee

ramblinman
Who do you have in this one? I think it’s a toss up. I am actually leaning towards Loyola in tight game.

ramblinman
Who do you have in this one? I think it’s a toss up. I am actually leaning towards Loyola in tight game.

I honestly don't have a clue (less so than usual ;)), other than to agree that it will likely be a close game.

Looking at common opponents, which I realize is not always a dependable indicator (but I look at it anyway, especially when the common opponent is decent), MS and LA both had very different games against New Trier. Loyola completely dominated NT in all aspects (despite LA dealing with several key players being unavailable in that game due to injury) and cruised to a 41-3 laugher. OTOH, MS was only up 16-14 over NT at the half of their game before turning it on in the second half to win 38-21. Loyola is pretty healthy now, so I am hopeful.

If I were picking this game, I would probably go with MS because I believe playing at home is worth something. If the Brook had held serve from a seeding perspective and beaten WV in round 1, this quarterfinal game would have been at Loyola, and I would be more inclined to pick the Ramblers in that case.

Reactions: Gene K.
I’m a MS guy but went to watch the Academy last weekend and came away with 2 thoughts...LA defense is for real and how do they not have a QB that can get those WR’S the ball. MS will get some big plays and maybe a long(10 plays) drive or 2; and I think 24 to 31 points. If LA QB shows up and can get the ball downfield several times and mix and match their 2 RBs they can score some TD’s. LA special teams have noticeable advantage over MS. I just think it will take a very good game from LA QB to get the points necessary to beat my Hawks.
With that being said it will be 34 degrees and if either team is plus 2 in TOs they win.
QB dislocated throwing shoulder early in season. Takes time to develop strength/accuracy after an injury like that. He is definitely getting stronger and better every week.

Reactions: Gene K.
The comparison between MS & LA common opponents isn't the best measure.
Loyola lost to MC, but smashed NT. MS beat both MC & NT.
The Loyola/NT game being a "neighborhood thing" can go either way as we know. NT, did lose some players in that game and it did have an impact, particularly in pass game. NT, played MS, healthy and on a roll. MS, won primarily running the ball, NT was extremely effective throwing it.
Mount Carmel ran on Loyola. Loyola didn't overpower MC running the ball.
CSL games between top teams(MS,ETHS,NT) were very competitive this year, making them better teams.MS non confetence schedule tough too. Loyola schedule just brutal as well.

If Loyola doesn't pass the ball well MS, shuts the run down in a run away victory.
If MS, doesn't run well, Loyola wins.
Multiple turnovers, and it's a wrap for the team losing them.
Loyola O-Line....just ridiculous size, vs MS D-Line, just bonkers on the toughness meter.

location,location,location....@Swag High, Loyola must absolutely play its best game of the year to win. MS....not so much, just continue to do what they do to people on their field.

Plus, who doesn't want to see LWE vs MS.

Reactions: ChiTown Chuggers
The comparison between MS & LA common opponents isn't the best measure.
Loyola lost to MC, but smashed NT. MS beat both MC & NT.
The Loyola/NT game being a "neighborhood thing" can go either way as we know. NT, did lose some players in that game and it did have an impact, particularly in pass game. NT, played MS, healthy and on a roll. MS, won primarily running the ball, NT was extremely effective throwing it.
Mount Carmel ran on Loyola. Loyola didn't overpower MC running the ball.
CSL games between top teams(MS,ETHS,NT) were very competitive this year, making them better teams.MS non confetence schedule tough too. Loyola schedule just brutal as well.

If Loyola doesn't pass the ball well MS, shuts the run down in a run away victory.
If MS, doesn't run well, Loyola wins.
Multiple turnovers, and it's a wrap for the team losing them.
Loyola O-Line....just ridiculous size, vs MS D-Line, just bonkers on the toughness meter.

location,location,location....@Swag High, Loyola must absolutely play its best game of the year to win. MS....not so much, just continue to do what they do to people on their field.

Plus, who doesn't want to see LWE vs MS.
MC was the better team the day they played LA. However, LA did have 2 TD's called back. Turned the ball over 4 times. QB1 and D-1 WR were both out. Lost on last second GL stand.

LA v. NT: LA's QB1 and D-1 WR did not play. However, per NT's coach, the weather only impacted NT.

Like both teams here. MS and Loyola are both class acts programs. Hate to pick either one of them but I think this is a different Loyola team than they were at the middle of the season. If Loyola doesn't have any turnovers this will be a close game. Playing at MS favors them so Loyola has to bring the A game to win this. Either team will have to then face the vaunted and talented LWE team so hopefully they don't beat each other up too badly.

The comparison between MS & LA common opponents isn't the best measure. Loyola lost to MC, but smashed NT. MS beat both MC & NT.

I get that analyzing common opponents is risky. But, I have to say that I have found it to be reasonably reliable more often than not. It becomes even more reliable when the common opponent isn't mediocre or worse. MS beat MC by a one score margin in a crazy weather delayed game, Loyola lost to MC by a one score margin that came inches away from going the other way. LA crushed NT. MS found NT to be a much tougher opponent than LA did. I don't think it is unreasonable from the above to posit that this Saturday's game will be close and that there is no clear favorite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT