ADVERTISEMENT

Lovie's Out

I don't think we'll see a HS coach go straight to D1 head coach anytime soon, if ever again. Too much $$ and expectations riding in the game now for that type of jump with no head CFB coaching experience.

Beebe is intriguing and think he’d do outstanding. Would do a fantastic job recruiting the state.

Best thing he does is gets kids believing they can achieve more than they think they can. U of I needs that.

they missed the boat on fleck when they hired Lovie. Fleck would have turned them into a top 15 program and would have been a lifer. It’s too bad

Army's Monken is an intriguing name. Successful everywhere he has been, and proven to be successful with limited talent at the academies. He also would likely be the first Big Ten coach with deep knowledge of J. Sterling Morton High School & Decatur...If he's interested, its probably his job.

ISU's Spack...I just get the feeling he's happy at ISU. If he really wants a Big 10 job, I believe he would have gone to his alma mater Purdue in '16...

Bret Bielema...why would anyone leave Madison, three straight Rose Bowls, for Arkansas? Although at this point if he were successful with the Illini I can't picture him treating Champaign as a stepping stone, he's learned that lesson.

If the Huskers had just beaten the Gophers, PJ Fleck's seat at Minnesota might have been hot enough to get him to jump...but not happening.

Sean Lewis, Kent State...Lance Liepold, Buffalo. It would take truly brass cajones for Whitman to hire a MAC coach after the pile of manure he inherited when he took the job, largely because of failed former MAC football & basketball coaches. Liepold's deep Wisconsin history is intriguing though, and a high powered offense?

Kevin Sumlin? Ick. 12 game losing streak? I'd rather keep Lovie.

The guys from New York seem to be likely early favorites...

Jeff Monken of Army is my guy!

1) He's from Joliet! His father coached at Joliet East, RIP! Illinois roots!
2) He has built a program when it was down at Army. Illinois needs someone who has built a program.
3) Triple option! Mike White succeeded at Illinois partly because he passed so much, something other schools were not used to seeing. Same with the triple option.

The assistant coaches matter just as much of the head coach . It’s time to get former Illini in the building . ESPECIALLY the ones that can keep up with the new generation of kids . If your staff can’t relate to the athletes then it’s impossible to reach their full potential.

There are plenty of former Illini that coach all of over the country let alone state . There are few off the top of my head that have major recruiting ties not only in the state but in the country . Unfortunately Lovie didn’t have good direction on informing him on who to trust in state and what areas to heavily recruit.

Zook was successful because every single one of his assistant coaches could recruit their tails off and took pride in it . Hell both of his coordinators are head coaches now . Mallory , Lockseley

the reality is we will hire another coach without Illinois ties, they won’t bring in any assistants with recruiting ties . That coach will shuffle in and out his friends who can care less about Illinois . As long as they get paid..then off to the next job .. FORGET going after big names , bring in people that really want to be there!!

Without a doubt hire Jeff Monken. He's been a winner wherever he's been. Knows how to win with lesser talent. He has the Illinois ties to keep the in state talent. Will be tough to prepare for what he will do on offense in one week.

Jeff Monken would be as a great hire for all of the reasons you cite, plus he is a genuinely good person.
He runs the Option at Army out of necessity and I doubt seriously that he would use beyond sparingly in a less limited situation.
Yes, he was also at Navy as an Assistant, but had other stops climbing the ladder and has seen a lot of non-Option football as he prepares his teams for opponents.
I wish him well wherever he lands and hope Illinois makes a good decision as so much there appears to be neglected.
Lovie is a tough read, but IMO never seemed to really want to be there.

Reactions: atrain97
I would love to see someone who has a good grasp of the Chicago and Illinois high school football scene. I'm going to go way outta the box...as the Illini learned with the Mike White hiring 40 years ago, a high-powered offense will put some butts in seats.

How about Don Beebe, the head coach at Aurora University? Obviously, he has a great high school coaching history with multiple titles at Aurora Christian. He has a great knowledge of the Chicagoland athlete, having run House of Speed. He quickly transformed a mundane Aurora U offense into one of the highest scoring machines in D3. I just don't know if the Illini have the horses to run his offense - nothing against Rod Smith, who has a good running first offense, but the systems are so different. If not the head coach, perhaps the new coach should consider him as OC...

Other Illinois oriented picks? Some of the previously mentioned - John Holecek, former Illini all big 10 linebacker & head coach at Loyola; Derek Leonard, Rochester; Rob Zvonar, Lincoln Way East.

JIm Harbaugh anyone?
Beebe wants to be close to home, I don't see him leaving Aurora.

Reactions: forlouann
Jeff Monken of Army is my guy!

1) He's from Joliet! His father coached at Joliet East, RIP! Illinois roots!
2) He has built a program when it was down at Army. Illinois needs someone who has built a program.
3) Triple option! Mike White succeeded at Illinois partly because he passed so much, something other schools were not used to seeing. Same with the triple option.
I don't see them hiring him if the insists on the triple as run at Army, but I like him a lot. They need someone that develops players, like Bill Snyder did at K State, Or Tom Allen is doing at Indiana. They are not going to be able to recruit as well as the established programs in the B10, at least not in the beginning, they need to be able to take the 2 and 3 stars and develop their potential.

I cant ever see them making this move. And if offered, I cant see him turning it down, especially with a salary upwards of $5 million.
He would not get a $5 million salary. He has zero negotiating power. He works at a high school making perhaps $80-100K. You do not pay someone 50 times their salary for a complete lack of resume that type of cash. Name a high school coach who has made that kind of jump without being an assistant or low level college coach in modern times? This is not the 50's (terry Brennan) or 80's (Faust)

He would not get a $5 million salary. He has zero negotiating power. He works at a high school making perhaps $80-100K. You do not pay someone 5 times their salary for a complete lack of resume that type of cash. Name a high school coach who has made that kind of jump without being an assistant or low level college coach in modern times? This is not the 50's (terry Brennan) or 80's (Faust)
It's actually 50x's his salary

This is a coaching grave yard by the way in the eyes of most coaches in D1. If that is truly the case then it's a retread looking for a 2nd opportunity (which is fine by me) or a guy looking for his 1st opportunity betting on himself. The later could be taking a huge mistake though when other opportunites may put them in position for better jobs later.

My number one is Jim Mcelwain
2) Leopold
3 Todd Monken
4 Lewis
5) surprise coach from top FBS jumping ship

Reactions: epicbret
A lot of Monken's success is due to a fairly weak schedule year in and year out. Other than Navy (which is not saying much this year), they have beaten no one.

Illinois would want someone who could recruit. If Monken abandons the option, then I could see it. WIthout doing that, in todays world the kids would not show up to Champaign to run the option.

Don't get me wrong, he is a class act and a great motivator but I think Illinois needs an offensive minded coach who can light up the scoreboard. That will bring recruits from all over IL to Champaign.

I think Bielema is a real option.
He's already been considered a candidate for some of the other positions that have opened this fall and has told Giants head coach Joe Judge that he's looking to get back into college ranks as a head coach and for him to be prepared for a possible departure.
He's grad of Prophetstown HS -- and is very close to his family -- and had a lot of success at Wisconsin, although Alvarez left him a great foundation.
If I remember correctly the reason he bolted to Arkansas is super booster Jerry Jones wanted him, and what Jerry wants, Jerry gets.
But the SEC is an awful tough place to win, when you're not a perennial powerhouse.
He's had his off-field issues, but is 50-years-old now and maybe has learned from his mistakes.
Plus he was able to spend two years coaching under Belichick, which can't be a bad thing.
I am not saying he is the man for the job, but would not be surprised if he gets it.

A lot of Monken's success is due to a fairly weak schedule year in and year out. Other than Navy (which is not saying much this year), they have beaten no one.

Illinois would want someone who could recruit. If Monken abandons the option, then I could see it. WIthout doing that, in todays world the kids would not show up to Champaign to run the option.

Don't get me wrong, he is a class act and a great motivator but I think Illinois needs an offensive minded coach who can light up the scoreboard. That will bring recruits from all over IL to Champaign.

Asking for a friend, would an RPO Offense be considered abandoning the Option?
As much pride as some among us may have in the U of I and the Big 10, this is not a coveted job.
Who ever is hired will be somewhat of a crap shoot.

The option would stay at the Academy guys.

Monken is #1

Leipold is up there with Lewis also, but Monken is the logical choice for me

He would not get a $5 million salary. He has zero negotiating power. He works at a high school making perhaps $80-100K. You do not pay someone 50 times their salary for a complete lack of resume that type of cash. Name a high school coach who has made that kind of jump without being an assistant or low level college coach in modern times? This is not the 50's (terry Brennan) or 80's (Faust)

I completely agree. I dont think they would ever offer him the job. I was just replying to people making the suggestion.

when Illinois offered Brad Underwood for men's basketball, it caught everyone off guard because his name had not come up on lists. so my guess it will be Dave Clawson from Wake Forest, who has done well there given the academic restrictions and that Wake Forest is the fourth school in its own state, not to mention behind Clemson and South Carolina.

One thing that has not been talked about is the U of I admission standards. I know that the U of I is a selective admissions school. It is also my understanding that the admissions office has been of little help to the football program. I don't know if it is true or not but it does not matter who the coach is if he can't get the athletes in the school.

One thing that has not been talked about is the U of I admission standards. I know that the U of I is a selective admissions school. It is also my understanding that the admissions office has been of little help to the football program. I don't know if it is true or not but it does not matter who the coach is if he can't get the athletes in the school.
Northwestern, Stanford, etc. disagree.

You are correct in hearing this rumor. It is all about having the trust of the admissions office to get “exceptions” enrolled. Ironically Northwestern does a much better job of getting “exceptions” enrolled as football players b/c Fitz has the trust of admin and guarantees the football program will make sure their players succeed. This is often about taking kids from struggling backgrounds whose GPA/test scores are not exceptional and giving them a chance to prove themselves once they have all the help a Big10 school offers. From what I understand Fitz has had a couple each year and has proven that their academic support system successfully helps those kids achieve. I am not a U of I guy, I played at IU. But my former assistant coach was there years ago as a GA and said that they really struggled to get the school to accept borderline athletes. That is definitely an issue with this job.

Reactions: Gene K.

Not many have mentioned that. Academics at U of I are maybe not as high as NU or Michigan but they are high at Illinois. Two of my nephews whent to U of I and both got 30 or above on the ACT.

And by the way, one of my nephews graduated from Montini.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT