ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like FCS NCAA football will move to the spring

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
The only conference for now that hasn't announced it's intention is the Missouri Valley (SIU/ISU/WIU) and I fully expect them to follow next week. The Pioneer League and the Big Sky conference announced today that they will move to the spring.

NCAA has cancelled all fall championships in D2 and D3.

The MAC just cancelled fall, will try for spring. They probably took a huge hit with the power 5 cancelling non cons

The MAC just cancelled fall, will try for spring. They probably took a huge hit with the power 5 cancelling non cons
ACC and Big 12 left room for 1 non-con. Western Michigan at Notre Dame, Ball State at Iowa State, Miami OH at Pitt, Buffalo at K-State all just got cancelled by the MAC not the big boys. ACC and Big XII had scheduled and planned on playing these games.

I think the Valley's decision is brilliant. Move the conference season to spring, but leave the opportunity to play non-conference games in the fall. So, for the moment, SIU is still playing Kansas in three weeks. Keep the bought games, move the conference schedule to spring...

Reactions: Formicidae13
Looks like the Big Ten wants nothing to do with a fall season. Once one of the Power 5 goes, the rest will follow. I’m guessing all College will be shelved this week.

Good to see the big #wewanttoplay social media movement by the players, led by Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields just to name some prominent ones. Have seen some many rational arguments by players that should have their voices heard. Ohio State parents also launched a letter to support. Good thoughts on risk of Covid away from football (just as likely if not more back at home or on college campus full time with rest of students), opportunity for those to opt in just as much as everyone who wants to opt out, and more.

Looks like the Big Ten wants nothing to do with a fall season. Once one of the Power 5 goes, the rest will follow. I’m guessing all College will be shelved this week.

Strangely enough, some of the schools are fairly comfortable with where they are at right now. Illinois is testing athletes 7 days a week - 5x by their saliva test, 2x by nose swab test. Their saliva test is awaiting FDA approval for general distribution - and is proving as effective as the swab test while getting results in 5 hours or less (the Fan Council meeting spent well over an hour discussing Covid issues on Friday).

Obviously the gorilla in the room is athletic department finances. Penn State and Ohio State playing in empty stadiums is a financial disaster. The Illini, after giving season ticket holders the option to opt out for the year, is down to about 9000 season tickets total, so there will only be about 1000 single game tickets available for each game after student allotment and team allotments...The Big Ten has a bunch of schools heavily in debt athletically - Illinois, Michigan, Ohio State, Minnesota are all way up there.

Interesting take on the P5 conferences, the players and the NCAA on going forward and/or the cancelling of the fall football season.

"For any Power Five conference to hold a fall football season, it would have to reckon with the demands of these players. And if it did, the sport would never be the same. The statement put out Sunday did not involve financial asks, but if the people in charge of the sport start earnestly negotiating with players, it only seems logical that those discussions would happen soon."

https://www.theringer.com/2020/8/10...tm_campaign=newsletter_axiossports&stream=top

Reactions: Gene K.
Looks like conferences are coming to the same conclusion. Pandemic football is just not safe and to continue to try and play invites lawsuits that no one can afford.

Looks like the ACC, Big 12 and SEC are gonna play some football. Add ND and some other independents in there as well. ND has been working out for some time - testing the players weekly. Only two positive tests (complete recoveries) over that time span.

I hope they play and I hope they show everyone that it can be done and done well.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
Only two positive tests (complete recoveries) over that time span.

I hope they play and I hope they show everyone that it can be done and done well.
I think the issues will start when the traveling starts. That's when there becomes less "control" over the situation. Similar to what you see in the MLB

I think the issues will start when the traveling starts. That's when there becomes less "control" over the situation. Similar to what you see in the MLB
You mess up do something undisciplined and jeopardize your team, you pay a stiff price.

We shall see if the travel affects it. I don't see it changing much. They seem to have a pretty good handle on it. Notre Dame brought back their entire student body over last two weeks. Tested the entire student body via a swab test prior to their return and less than a half a percent of the entire student body tested positive. Those few that did will join their classmates after a two week quarantine.

Issues will start around now as regular students head back to campus.

I can't wait for the lawsuits claiming the school was responsible. Because you can't prove you got a virus specifically from any one location or time, especially with asymptomatic spread in the equation. Maybe that's what we need, a failed lawsuit and then institutions will feel more comfortable. Now if a lawsuit DOES win against a school or company, I'm definitely suing the next time myself or child gets the flu, and I'll go after the big bucks.

Football, all sports, normal life is perfectly safe right now with only minor precautions needing to take place. On to 2023 I guess.

I think the Valley's decision is brilliant. Move the conference season to spring, but leave the opportunity to play non-conference games in the fall. So, for the moment, SIU is still playing Kansas in three weeks. Keep the bought games, move the conference schedule to spring...

And Kansas is now ducking the Salukis...the Jayhawks would be middle of the line in the Valley at best...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT