ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like a long CPS strike

superac777

Aug 28, 2006
School cancelled Thursday & it looks to be a long strike.Maybe no Prep Bowl this year

I know some teams are playing tonight to get that 8th game in but Simeon still only had 6 games played...

The teachers don't really care about the kids,they care about their pockets,this more than likely hurt some kids chances to play at the next level,teachers want 16 percent raise/3 years ,,,yea sure.

The teachers don't really care about the kids,they care about their pockets,this more than likely hurt some kids chances to play at the next level,teachers want 16 percent raise/3 years ,,,yea sure.
Not as big of an issue today (compared to maybe 20 years ago) thanks to all the technology. Much easier to gather video and make it accessible via the internet. Plus you have all the college run summer camps.

The Illinois High School Association has decided that CPS football teams that qualify for the postseason will be placed into state playoff brackets on Oct. 26 — the final day of the regular season — even if teachers are still on strike.

But spokesman Matt Troha said the strike will be have to be over by Oct. 30 in order for the teams to play in the first round, scheduled for Nov. 2. IHSA rules say that teams that are idle for seven days, not counting Sundays, must have three practices before they can compete again.

If CPS doesn’t make that deadline, he said, the teams will have to forfeit their first-round games.

Unless you've been hurt, if you're needing the last 2 games to get looked at, its probably not the teacher's fault.

Obviously you never played football!
Considering numerous kids go onto play at the next level that barely get real playing time their varsity years, I'm ok with saying 2 games isn't gonna make or break all these kids you're worried about.
Obviously you've never taught in some chicago schools if you dont know why they'd want a decent pay raise.

And think about this.Can you imagine being a school scheduled to play a CPS in round 1 with the winner to play the winner of 2 CPS in round 2? You’re going to the quarterfinals without playing a game!!

Reactions: MS4EVER
Considering numerous kids go onto play at the next level that barely get real playing time their varsity years, I'm ok with saying 2 games isn't gonna make or break all these kids you're worried about.
Obviously you've never taught in some chicago schools if you dont know why they'd want a decent pay raise.
Raise in order, probably. Hopefully so, considering the work is very challenging and meaningful.

Some compassion for the impact striking has on kids-including their passion for athletics, wouldn't hurt either.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
And think about this.Can you imagine being a school scheduled to play a CPS in round 1 with the winner to play the winner of 2 CPS in round 2? You’re going to the quarterfinals without playing a game!!

If that happens the ihsa should be ashamed of themselves. If the strike is still not resolved by the deadline for practice days set forth by the ihsa. They should remove the cps teams which is a horrible tough call, but have the next eligible team entered in to fill the field

If that happens the ihsa should be ashamed of themselves. If the strike is still not resolved by the deadline for practice days set forth by the ihsa. They should remove the cps teams which is a horrible tough call, but have the next eligible team entered in to fill the field

The IHSA doesn't know what shame is!

Strikes suck, period. Football is secondary.
I know we don’t get political here, but this was so well predicted. God Bless teachers, but they had an option for a raise or smaller classrooms/more teachers. They were presented an enormous raise, but not the second part and they strike. In low income areas this puts the parent(s) at the most risk because they now must either find child care in a pinch or take off work, which will likely be unpaid for lower wage jobs. With how strong CPS Union is, it doesn’t matter if 50% of kids fail, they still get paid...not to say the MAJORITY of CPS teachers care greatly

As far as I know, it's written in the bylaws. There are no other options.

A striking school only has to return to practice by Wednesday for a Saturday playoff game. It wouldn’t be fair to switch opponents on the non-CPS school with only 3 days notice.

The Illinois High School Association has decided that CPS football teams that qualify for the postseason will be placed into state playoff brackets on Oct. 26 — the final day of the regular season — even if teachers are still on strike.

But spokesman Matt Troha said the strike will be have to be over by Oct. 30 in order for the teams to play in the first round, scheduled for Nov. 2. IHSA rules say that teams that are idle for seven days, not counting Sundays, must have three practices before they can compete again.

If CPS doesn’t make that deadline, he said, the teams will have to forfeit their first-round games.

So 3a will get even more watered down if that is even possible

There are I think 4 projected CPS qualifying in 3a....can you imagine the nightmare in pulling the next eligible teams in....it would literally shift the entire 256 team field

Let me add one more question to the CPS strike scenarios. If a higher seed team wins a playoff game but forfeit, does it count as one of their home games.

For instance, if the playoffs started today, St. Charle EAst would play Taft in the first round. Assuming they win by forfeit, they would play the winner of S. Elgin/Stevenson. If Stevenson wins that game on the road, who gets the home game for round 2?

Reactions: Schwab54
Let me add one more question to the CPS strike scenarios. If a higher seed team wins a playoff game but forfeit, does it count as one of their home games.

For instance, if the playoffs started today, St. Charle EAst would play Taft in the first round. Assuming they win by forfeit, they would play the winner of S. Elgin/Stevenson. If Stevenson wins that game on the road, who gets the home game for round 2?
Ugh, that would suck big time.

If it was scheduled as a home game it would surely count as a home game... you guys are way over complicating this....

If it was scheduled as a home game it would surely count as a home game... you guys are way over complicating this....

I am not so sure about this. The reason for the rule is to balance out gate and concession revenue. The higher seed team wouldn't get any in a first round home forfeit.

I am not so sure about this. The reason for the rule is to balance out gate and concession revenue. The higher seed team wouldn't get any in a first round home forfeit.

Not the IHSA’s problem. They are just bummed they lost revenue not getting your gate due to forfeit. The reasoning you give is not the only reason reason for the rule. And you can’t punish the victorious round 1 road team by sending them on the road again just because you got a forfeit win.

Not the IHSA’s problem. They are just bummed they lost revenue not getting your gate due to forfeit. The reasoning you give is not the only reason reason for the rule. And you can’t punish the victorious round 1 road team by sending them on the road again just because you got a forfeit win.
What are the reasons for this rule other than balancing out the gate and concessions revenue for the participating schools? I always thought that was the reason the higher seed wasn’t always the home team.

Looking at the IHSA website there are 8 teams from the Illini conferences that have 4 wins at this point and would miss the playoffs if the strike goes thru the rest of the regular season. The following teams have 5 wins or more as of today.

Orr 328
Harlan 427
Carver 489
Dunbar 496
Marine 563
Phillips 575
Sullivan 670
Agg. Sciences 717
Hyde Park 787
Payton 1025
Amundsen 1196
Morgan Park 1238
Simeon 1327
Mather 1461
Kenwood 1500
Taft 3047

Last edited:
What are the reasons for this rule other than balancing out the gate and concessions revenue for the participating schools? I always thought that was the reason the higher seed wasn’t always the home team.

To account for the very imperfect yet simple seeding process. The difficult but more accurate process would be having a panel make subjective decisions about how to seed each team in each class. But they don’t want to be subjective, take the heat for their seeding decisions, plus it would be laborious. The current home/away set-up helps make sure that imperfect seeding doesn’t punish a team who is better but lower seeded due to the system. Let’s look at 7A. Let’s assume everyone else wins out in 7A except Nazareth loses 28-21 at Notre Dame and the Ritter game stands as a loss. Easy to put Mt Carmel at 1 seed, assuming Hersey wins against rolling meadows they go at 2 seed. Now who should be 3rd? Well with 2 loses Nazareth would be in the double digits somewhere but does anyone think they are the 12 best 7a team? A seeding committee would likely put them at 3 ahead of 1 loss teams due to fact that one loss is out of state and has nothing to do with ihsa 7a and the other loss to an undefeated 8a team. But as I said they are not going to get into that subjective and time consuming seeding game. Again, this home/away set-up offsets some of the seeding issues and makes the seeds a little less important.

Reactions: caravan8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT