ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln way east salute the troops night.

Not gonna lie I hate it, if you want to put a flag on your uniform that's great but I find making the flag your actually uniform pretty tacky. Salute the Troops is great idea but the uniforms aren't.
You would get along very well with my dad. When I was a kid, he would say "might as well put the flag on a door mat".

Awesome. Would be proud to have my son play in that program learning to appreciate the flag. Would love to know what was discussed throughout the week with the kids.

This is one of the very best ideas I have seen in too long. People wear almost anything that is somewhat like the flag. Yes, there are door mats, etc. Everyone has an opinion on this that they are entitled to. That is exactly what that flag means. Better than burning it.

Seeing this renews my faith in young people. I love it!

Reactions: corey90
I guess I’ve become an old man
Clownbaby, we agree on something. Dweise, give my best to your dad.

I'm a vet and I can't think of any way in which that demonstration improved the lives of America's veterans. Zero. In fact, it probably works opposite to what was intended. People see this and think they're helping our veterans. That muight well be the extent of their concern. Meanwhile, efforts to cut funding for vets continue, while members of the public believe they've done something positive for veterans..

When i was close to my USAF discharge in 1971, my lifer sergeant told me a riddle, "How do you know if someone's a draft dodger? he asked. Answer: " He's wearing a flag pin." I found that to be generally true.

I hope these comments don't count as politics. I saw that others were commenting on a subject whee I have personal involvement and I felt the obligation to respond.

Last edited:
MC63 this is far from a one and done exhibition at Lincoln-Way East. The glitz and glamor of the flags and uniforms could be interpreted that way I imagine. If you go to coverage from Channel 2 CBS and follow the interviews of Kirby Atwell you would see his comments and “give back “ attitude. They run a program called Green Vet Homes as a veteran support business. Give it a look. Yearly these evenings at LWE also call on vets and families to be recognized in person as well as shout outs for those who are not in attendance. These sentiments are aired during all the breaks in action. Not just this year but a continual support from Coach Zvonar with the Griffins. The community support is stellar for the program as well.

I don’t get how anyone can be negative on this. The man is teaching his players to love their country, their flag and show appreciation for those who have fought for the freedoms they have.
He's negative about everything, Colin. You should know that. Very bitter man.

MC63 this is far from a one and done exhibition at Lincoln-Way East. The glitz and glamor of the flags and uniforms could be interpreted that way I imagine. If you go to coverage from Channel 2 CBS and follow the interviews of Kirby Atwell you would see his comments and “give back “ attitude. They run a program called Green Vet Homes as a veteran support business. Give it a look. Yearly these evenings at LWE also call on vets and families to be recognized in person as well as shout outs for those who are not in attendance. These sentiments are aired during all the breaks in action. Not just this year but a continual support from Coach Zvonar with the Griffins. The community support is stellar for the program as well.
I give you credit WIU78. You beat me to it. I was going to comment on MC63's post. But you have more info on this than I do. How could he possibly know the people who put this event on? Is it possible that some people involved currently have family serving in the military or family members who are veterans? How does he know no one there contributes to make veterans' lives better? I bet a lot of them do.

I do agree, however, that not enough is being done for veterans by our government. Not even close. The private sector raises millions and millions in donations for those in need. Not to mention, there are those in the private sector who go out of their way to hire veterans and work only with American owned companies that don't ship jobs overseas.

Just as importantly, is the time people give to veterans. I would make a large bet some of those people involved last Friday donate a lot of time. That makes veterans' lives better.

My Brother-in-Law is an Army Veteran and my Son-in-Law is also a Veteran. In my house we are heavily involved with giving our time to Veterans here who are destitute and in housing that is not very good. If you stop by Hope Manor Joliet you will see. I have joined a group that goes there every Friday morning. We all take turns going because we can't all go every Friday. Many things are discussed including Veterans benefits, healthcare, employment services and we donate hygiene products, etc. It's sad because some of these people aren't even aware of some of their benefits.

No, I am not a Veteran. Very few people are. But this is my way and the way many others contribute to their cause. So, I will fly my American and Army flags anytime I want and wear anything I want, especially if it looks like the flag.

That is great to hear there is stuff going on behind the scenes to help the vets, not just wearing a uniform and carrying a flag (to me that does nothing and doesn't teach kids anything), kudos to LWE.

Last edited:
Reactions: WIU78
That is great to hear there is stuff going on behind the scenes to help the vets, not just wearing a uniform and carrying a flag (to me that does nothing and doesn't teach kids anything), kudos to LWE.

Many times, it's just for show and not actually doing anything to help vets. Maybe I am cynical from the NFL etc...
Why are you cynical about the NFL's support of veterans? I just did a quick search and the NFL has donated over $50 million to veterans organizations in the last 10 years. I am not looking to argue, just was wondering why you felt that way.

• Love
Reactions: LTHSALUM76
Many times, it's just for show and not actually doing anything to help vets. Maybe I am cynical from the NFL etc...
October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. In calling it that, how does this actually help women who have breast cancer?

Why are you cynical about the NFL's support of veterans? I just did a quick search and the NFL has donated over $50 million to veterans organizations in the last 10 years. I am not looking to argue, just was wondering why you felt that way.
Because he and MC63 have bugs up their culu!

Guys, I was debating whether to post this or not because it could be interpreted different ways. It was not my intent to start something.

Remember that freedom means tolerating someone with an opposing point of view and having him tolerate your point of view.

Remember that freedom means tolerating someone with an opposing point of view and having him tolerate your point of view.
I understand what you're saying. But I have to disagree. Freedom is me saying what I want to say. Freedom doesn't mean people have to listen to me. I think it's more polite to hear out an opposing view. But, there is no requirement.

Reactions: Silver Rain

That is not what this thread is about, I should not have brought up the NFL.
That is a whole different conversation and that is on me.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. In calling it that, how does this actually help women who have breast cancer?
You chopped up my post and left out the part where I said kudos to LWE for actually doing something behind the scenes to help vets...that is truly awesome.

I think it's important for young to people to understand that to really help, you need to take some action. Just wearing a pink bow or changing your Instagram photo is great and all but teaching kids to give back to whatever cause is important. And giving back can mean many things. Glad it looks like LWE is doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC63
You chopped up my post and left out the part where I said kudos to LWE for actually doing something behind the scenes to help vets...that is truly awesome.

I think it's important for young to people to understand that to really help, you need to take some action. Just wearing a pink bow or changing your Instagram photo is great and all but teaching kids to give back to whatever cause is important. And giving back can mean many things. Glad it looks like LWE is doing that.
How could you possibly know that this is all these kids do? How do you know they aren't already involved? You are making an assumption without knowing the facts.

I would bet the kids who are carrying those flags and wearing those uniforms are the ones who are most likely to take the action you speak of. It has to start somewhere and maybe this is the starting point. In order to take action a person first needs to recognize what and why they are doing so.

No doubt in my mind the chances of these kids taking action is much higher than those who don't carry those flags and wear those uniforms, or don't care to do so.

Last edited:
One of the things that the team does is to collectivly run and raise money in the Our Fallen Hero 5K Run/Walk in Memory of PFC Aaron Toppen. PFC Toppen was a 2013 LWE grad who lost his life during a joint operation of Afghan and NATO forces in the Arghandab District of southern Zabul province.

Kirby Atwell, who was the honorary captain for the game was a West Point graduate and an officer in the Army. His company purpose is to buy, renovate, and rent homes to homeless veterans.while donating 10% of all his company's profits to veteran's causes

One of the things that the team does is to collectivly run and raise money in the Our Fallen Hero 5K Run/Walk in Memory of PFC Aaron Toppen. PFC Toppen was a 2013 LWE grad who lost his life during a joint operation of Afghan and NATO forces in the Arghandab District of southern Zabul province.

Kirby Atwell, who was the honorary captain for the game was a West Point graduate and an officer in the Army. His company purpose is to buy, renovate, and rent homes to homeless veterans.while donating 10% of all his company's profits to veteran's causes
Very very cool

How could you possibly know that this is all these kids do? How do you know they aren't already involved? You are making an assumption without knowing the facts.
I'm not sure why you are putting words in my mouth? I never said that. My first post in the thread was praising LWE for being involved. If you would have read what I actually wrote and not what you wanted to read it was....

I think it's important for young to people to understand that to really help, you need to take some action.

If you disagree with that than I am not sure what else to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: MC63 and WIU78
Just to reinforce, the evenings proceedings are not a new event at LWE. Lweastdad may have a better memory but I know it goes back at least to 2013. Dad ?

Reactions: SiuCubFan8
I'm very pleased to hear the involvement of so many folks in this regard. Thank you.

ps I find the involvement of the NFL puzzling. I've been involved with the Bears and veterans groups for well over a half-century. I get email newsletters from the Bears and the VA Hospital in North Chicago. Neither has ever mentioned any involvement by the Bear with veterans.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you are putting words in my mouth? I never said that. My first post in the thread was praising LWE for being involved. If you would have read what I actually wrote and not what you wanted to read it was....

I think it's important for young to people to understand that to really help, you need to take some action.

If you disagree with that than I am not sure what else to say.
Yes I did answer it. They are taking action.

“Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes” just might apply here. Just saying.
Remember you said that. Everyone has rough times in life. Everyone. I am not excluded from that. You can either remain bitter over it for the rest of your life, or you can move on and learn something from it. Moving on can be very, very difficult. But remaining bitter is not a healthy thing to do, no matter what it is. No matter how bad you have it or how bad you think you have it. Someone somewhere has it worse. I know a woman who was involved in a nasty divorce nearly 40 years ago and she is till bitter over it to this day.

Being bitter is no different than holding a grudge. Acting that way doesn't hurt the other people. It hurts you and can make you physically and mentally sick. I guarantee I know people who have it worse than that guy and do not have crap attitudes like him. An attitude is 100% controllable by the person who has it.

On another note. I just got an email from our local paper, The Herald News and the Shaw Local News Network. They are dedicating their November 8th edition to Veterans as a thank you. IN the editions they are running a contest asking people to write letters to Veterans thanking them. A random drawing will determine the winner, who will get a $100 Visa gift card. Great gift to give to a Veteran if you win the contest.

Yes, and I congratulated them for doing so.....moving on.
You edited your first post on Tuesday to make it look like you didn't say what you originally said. You might be able to fool other people here with that nonsense, but not me. Just own what you originally said and be honest. If you can't be honest don't post.

You edited your first post on Tuesday to make it look like you didn't say what you originally said. You might be able to fool other people here with that nonsense, but not me. Just own what you originally said and be honest. If you can't be honest don't post.
I edited it and removed the part about being cynical cause of nfl. I also later posted I shouldn’t have brought that up and said that’s on me.
Not trying to fool anyone. I would never try to fool you!!!!

I edited it and removed the part about being cynical cause of nfl. I also later posted I shouldn’t have brought that up and said that’s on me.
Not trying to fool anyone. I would never try to fool you!!!!
😂😂 funny stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT