ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln way east, Loyola, East st.louis

Does Illinois allow teams to play up a class by choice? I don't really get East St. Louis in 6A. A majority of 7A/8A teams couldn't have handled their OOC schedule. Seems like they'll take on all challengers in OOC play but settle for the easy hardware in the Tourney.

Does Illinois allow teams to play up a class by choice? I don't really get East St. Louis in 6A. A majority of 7A/8A teams couldn't have handled their OOC schedule. Seems like they'll take on all challengers in OOC play but settle for the easy hardware in the Tourney.
Ihsa does. Their conference only allows them to petition up one class however.

Reactions: Autumnball
Been discussed many times please go read other threads.
My apologies. I'm really not thrilled to be THAT guy. I no longer live in the Chicago 'burbs and randomly glance at this board. I completely missed that discussion.

As mentioned above, this issue has been covered in other threads and there's a bit more to it than that.
Correct and until MC petition to be 8A, I don’t want to hear anything about ESL petitioning higher! MC has more boys than ESL has students. Once MC petition for 8A, ESL will approach the conference about altering their rule. Until then, both will remain where they are!

Their conference teams don't go far anyways. It's such a loser mentality in that conference.
Honestly it’s not a loser mentality, it’s the same as the CCL Blue. Until all those teams play in 8A, I don’t want to hear what another conference should do! Other conferences like winning in multiple classes just like the CCL.

Honestly it’s not a loser mentality, it’s the same as the CCL Blue. Until all those teams play in 8A, I don’t want to hear what another conference should do! Other conferences like winning in multiple classes just like the CCL.
Bingo I am sure FVC would not mind if PR or CG drops or move up and both would play for titles.

Correct and until MC petition to be 8A, I don’t want to hear anything about ESL petitioning higher! MC has more boys than ESL has students. Once MC petition for 8A, ESL will approach the conference about altering their rule. Until then, both will remain where they are!
Typically there is one or 2 people asking why certain schools don’t petition up. I personally miss seeing ESL in 7A because I thought it made it a better playoff, but I understand that they’re not able to do anything about it. Anyone who doesn’t understand why a school wouldn’t break from its conferences for the benefit of 1 sport is looking at this all wrong. As for the whole Blue playing 8A, I don’t think a school like SR belongs in 8A. MC & BR have been in 8A before and will at some point end up back there. LA always ends up in 8A. If the IHSA made 8A an open class for all to petition into, I would bet money ESL would opt in without hesitation. Where they sit isn’t their fault.

Typically there is one or 2 people asking why certain schools don’t petition up. I personally miss seeing ESL in 7A because I thought it made it a better playoff, but I understand that they’re not able to do anything about it. Anyone who doesn’t understand why a school wouldn’t break from its conferences for the benefit of 1 sport is looking at this all wrong. As for the whole Blue playing 8A, I don’t think a school like SR belongs in 8A. MC & BR have been in 8A before and will at some point end up back there. LA always ends up in 8A. If the IHSA made 8A an open class for all to petition into, I would bet money ESL would opt in without hesitation. Where they sit isn’t their fault.
How does the IHSA figure enrollments? It shows BR as 2207.70. So I'm guessing .70 is a short kid? Or is taking that # and dividing by 1.65 and then divide by 2 give you the real # of students? Is their real enrollment 669? Where does the IHSA get it's numbers from?

How does the IHSA figure enrollments? It shows BR as 2207.70. So I'm guessing .70 is a short kid? Or is taking that # and dividing by 1.65 and then divide by 2 give you the real # of students? Is their real enrollment 669? Where does the IHSA get it's numbers from?

Yes that is exactly how they get the football enrollment. For a single gender school like BR or MC they double the enrollment (so 669 would become 1338) and then multiply by 1.65 which would be 2207.7

Yes that is exactly how they get the football enrollment. For a single gender school like BR or MC they double the enrollment (so 669 would become 1338) and then multiply by 1.65 which would be 2207.7
Thank You! So 10 kids at an all boys school becomes 33?

Anyone know how the IHSA gets the 669 number? Do the schools self report?

ESL has 1133. Assuming half are boys that gives you 566 boys at ESL

Mt Carmel has 588 boys

IHSA Enrollment

You're making the decision for them? Mr. Big Stuff.

I know you don't like the CCL but I didn't know you were a Sox fan!

317625044_10160290657223703_8827404326254332122_n.jpg

No school in America has a ratio 1 to 1. It's more like 350 boys at ESL.
If one accounts for a higher dropout rate among male students, most likely In inner city or rural public schools I can see this great an imbalance being possible. I'd consider it much less likely in private snd suburban public schools.whete families are more likely to prize education and/or just the application and tuition act as signs of commitment

If one accounts for a higher dropout rate among male students, most likely In inner city or rural public schools I can see this great an imbalance being possible. I'd consider it much less likely in private snd suburban public schools.whete families are more likely to prize education and/or just the application and tuition act as signs of commitment
I just checked this website for ESL

ESL has 628 male students and 591 female students

The state’s Public HS enrollment is 51.4% male. ESL lines up with that.

It would great to see Loyola or Lincoln way schedule East st.Louis for a non conference game im sure sunkett wouldn’t mind.
Not sure where this thread has gone but getting back to the original question…Lincoln-Way Central and EStl played a home and home sequence a number of years back. I am thinking about 2006-2007? Lincoln-Way East again, I believe was in the midst of converting to turf from grass about that time. Historians can clarify but I remember the coach bus arrival for a day before game at LWC. Should happen again but at East!

Reactions: flyerforlife
I just checked this website for ESL

ESL has 628 male students and 591 female students
Interesting. Precisely the opposite of what one would expect from an inner city minority district.

Hypothesis: A strong sports program may help counteract deleterious pressures like gangs, poverty and peer pressure to drop out.

Think if that is true - instead of social programs maybe the answer is to beef up a district's sports offerings and encourage boys to participate.

Not sure where this thread has gone but getting back to the original question…Lincoln-Way Central and EStl played a home and home sequence a number of years back. I am thinking about 2006-2007? Lincoln-Way East again, I believe was in the midst of converting to turf from grass about that time. Historians can clarify but I remember the coach bus arrival for a day before game at LWC. Should happen again but at East!
East had turf in 2005.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT