ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Talk 2022 West Suburban Silver

West Suburban Silver

Who are the favorites for 2022. Can someone pick 1-7.
I was going to roll out some of these today so I hijacked Fishwater41 post.

Thoughts on the West Suburban Silver? Oh I have a few.....

Biggest question? What happened to the West Suburban Silver we came to fear just a handful of years ago? Recent playoff showings have not been good for the Silver and these days I would put the Silver along with a few others that have seen it's overall power ranking as a conference drop in my opinion. Does 2022 begin to swing upwards?

Is the Silver better right now over the Silver? Overall I'd say no.....top to bottom the Silver is still stronger...however it's hard to argue that Willowbrook could win in both conferences.

Can Glenbard West get back to being more like Glenbard West in 2022? The Hitter have more good speed and depth in the skills but how will the D and the OL develop?

Hinsdale Central seems to reload as well as anyone in the Silver over the past few seasons....

Can Lyons develop and become a week in and week our serious contender? Lions had a very young team last fall and return some big names....but will they have the overall depth to dethrone a few others in the Silver?

OPRF? Is the overall talent and depth on hand for 2022?

DGN seems to keep making some progress and the Trojans have some up and coming talent,,,but those last four losses to end 2021 hurt (and the Trojans could have won what 3 out of those 4?)

York had a terrific showing in 2021 and welcome back some keys including QB Matt Vezza.....and are the Dukes here to stay?

Proviso West? It sure seems like when Proviso West was competitive and stronger year in and year out....that might of been when the Silver was at it's strongest. Hopefully the Panthers can start making positive gains this summer.

Hopefully the rumored removal of the second crossover game between Gold and Silver will allow for better measuring sticks from other conferences. Supposed to happen starting in 2023.

I’m making my picks in groupings instead of ranking.

WSS
HC - Homer pick, but defending 2 x Conference Champs
York - won’t be surprised if they win the conference.

DGN - On the rise IMO
GW - I think they are at the beginning of a downswing.

LTHS - Not sure what is going on over there, but they’ve underperformed since Hartman left
OPRF - Cook county Covid protocols along with their district protocols really hampered OPRFs 2021 season. They’ll be a tough out each week.

PW - Too many issues to list, but I’ve heard their coaching staff is doing the best the can with the situation they’ve been dealt. Hopefully they can turn it around.

WSG
WB - They’d be in the top group in Silver as well.

HS - gained a lot of confidence at the end of the season last year. Might be able to get a playoff birth.
DGS - Another underperforming school. Had the honor of being the 32nd seed in 8A last year.
Morton - They benefit from facing the bottom of the Gold, and might steal 1 or 2 from the middle.

AT, Leyden, PE - might be the 3 worst teams in the state. Records for points allowed may be broken.

WSS
1. LTHS
2. HC
3. York
4. GW
5. DGN
6. OP
7. PW

WSG
1.. WB
2. HS
3. DGS
4. Morton
5. Leyden
6. PE
7. AT
LT will not win the conference. When is the last time they beat HC? Probably HC and York fighting for first with GW 3rd followed by DGN. LT will be fighting OPRF for 4th and a 5-4 record to get in the playoffs. PW in last. Conference will once again be eliminated after the second week of the playoffs.

Hopefully the rumored removal of the second crossover game between Gold and Silver will allow for better measuring sticks from other conferences. Supposed to happen starting in 2023.

WSS

DGN - On the rise IMO

LTHS - Not sure what is going on over there, but they’ve underperformed since Hartman left
OPRF - Cook county Covid protocols along with their district protocols really hampered OPRFs 2021 season. They’ll be a tough out each week.

PW - Too many issues to list, but I’ve heard their coaching staff is doing the best the can with the situation they’ve been dealt. Hopefully they can turn it around.

WSG

HS - gained a lot of confidence at the end of the season last year. Might be able to get a playoff birth.
DGS - Another underperforming school. Had the honor of being the 32nd seed in 8A last year.
Morton - They benefit from facing the bottom of the Gold, and might steal 1 or 2 from the middle.

AT, Leyden, PE - might be the 3 worst teams in the state. Records for points allowed may be broken.
All good points RD. The HC/York pairing at the top I completely see. My thinking was GW was either 1 or 3 opposite those two. Just looked at the schedule and GW is away for both of those games so I probably should have gone 3.

Morton has HS week 5, DGS week 8, both at home and WB week 9 away. They will have plenty of time to get their feet under them and will be a hard out for their opponents by the end of the season. I can see them getting the wins over HS and DGS. Week 9 will be fun for fans of the Gold.

Let’s hope that the rumor about the second crossover game going away becomes reality. Better for everyone.

Since Hartman was there? He went 4-5. LT went through a 3 year period where they had 3 different head coaches. Jon Beutjer will get this going. Do not be surprised to see LT win the silver.

Reactions: WBWarriorWatcher

WSS

DGN - On the rise IMO

WSG

great news about the 2nd crossover. Which one are they planning to do away with, the "rivalry" or the rolling one?

All good points RD. The HC/York pairing at the top I completely see. My thinking was GW was either 1 or 3 opposite those two. Just looked at the schedule and GW is away for both of those games so I probably should have gone 3.

Morton has HS week 5, DGS week 8, both at home and WB week 9 away. They will have plenty of time to get their feet under them and will be a hard out for their opponents by the end of the season. I can see them getting the wins over HS and DGS. Week 9 will be fun for fans of the Gold.

Let’s hope that the rumor about the second crossover game going away becomes reality. Better for everyone.
If you get rid of one might as well get rid of the second one

great news about the 2nd crossover. Which one are they planning to do away with, the "rivalry" or the rolling one?
From what I’ve been told, it will be the “Week 2” crossover, and from there it will be 1 home/away crossover game. So it’ll take 14 years for a team to play through the other conference as it currently stands.

I’ve heard HC pulled HS for the first 2 years - so after 2024, the D86 rivalry won’t happen again until 2039.

Since Hartman was there? He went 4-5. LT went through a 3 year period where they had 3 different head coaches. Jon Beutjer will get this going. Do not be surprised to see LT win the silver.
He went 4-5 with a team that was in shambles. For full transparency - I did not like the way Hartman left HC, and honestly thought he under performed at HC - but he was a good football coach. IMO, likely at least a +1 win difference type coach.

I’ll give you this is Beutjer first full off-season since taking over. Perhaps with a full off-season, he can point the program the direction he wants it to go. However, LT floundered down the stretch last year. We’ll see what happens, but my money is on York and HC.

From what I’ve been told, it will be the “Week 2” crossover, and from there it will be 1 home/away crossover game. So it’ll take 14 years for a team to play through the other conference as it currently stands.

I’ve heard HC pulled HS for the first 2 years - so after 2024, the D86 rivalry won’t happen again until 2039.

What’s from stopping HC and HS from scheduling each other OOC? Is it against conf bylaws or possible if both schools have interest?

What’s from stopping HC and HS from scheduling each other OOC? Is it against conf bylaws or possible if both schools have interest?
I don’t know. But I would believe there is sort of rotation between the Gold and Silver. However, as it currently stands, it does neither school any service to schedule each other. HS hasn’t beat HC since the early 2000s. The rivalry is dead and neither school really cares about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT