ADVERTISEMENT

Let's pretend we had 2 private only classes

mc140

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Whether Ramblinman dream happened or forced by IHSA. How many teams make the playoffs in each class and where is the cut line for big and small bracket?

I'm only guessing, but I think there would be at least 3 classes in a Private only separation. Maybe 4.

There are about 60 private schools playing football. So 20 in a class?

Reactions: RockSoup
Everybody makes the playoffs.
3 classes.
NO IHSA intervention.
No multipliers (not completely sure about a success hit)
Obviously all boys schools would be x2

But no matter what, a complete split would be very bad for Illinois football and possibly other sports also.

No need to multiply or for the success factor if you're doing it this way because all the schools playing in this imaginary playoff system are non boundary (30 miles).

I think you underestimate how many small schools are out there. Definitely 3 classes.
60 private football schools is correct. 30 or so other non-boundaried schools. More privates also play the other sports but might not play football.

No need to multiply or for the success factor if you're doing it this way because all the schools playing in this imaginary playoff system are non boundary (30 miles).

Or do you keep the success factor?

Loyola, Brother Rice, Marist are all 1000+

Nazareth, Montini, Providence are 500+

What would be your cut off?

So many questions, this is very interesting.

60 private football schools is correct. 30 or so other non-boundaried schools. More privates also play the other sports but might not play football.

Due to the differences between the Walther Christian, guerin prep, Chicago christians of the state versus the st viator’s, ICCP, Bishop mac’s of the state, and the big boys of the state you would need 3 classes

I think you underestimate how many small schools are out there. Definitely 3 classes.

Does everyone get a trophy? I hear that complaint about IHSA on the board often but with 3 divisions 5% of teams win titles compared to the current 1.5%

Do to the differences between the Walther Christian, guerin prep, Chicago christians of the state versus the st viator’s, ICCP, Bishop mac’s of the state, and the big boys of the state you would need 3 classes
I agree. 3 classes of 20. MC140 posted like it was a bad thing.

I'm only guessing, but I think there would be at least 3 classes in a Private only separation. Maybe 4.
I agree. Two makes sense with the numbers but there is a big problem in that there are 4 to 5 schools so much bigger than all others. JC, PC, Montini, Rita, IC etc would be ok to play them. But schools like Carmel, Laurence, viator, DLS, etc really don’t belong in the same class as Loyola or rice.

maybe 4 classes. 8, 12, or 16 teams per class. But then 1a winner plays 2a winner for small school champ. 3a vs 4a for large school champ.

Does everyone get a trophy? I hear that complaint about IHSA on the board often but with 3 divisions 5% of teams win titles compared to the current 1.5%

The disparities between private’s in the state are much larger than between public’s. And you would still have 6 public divisions at a minimum? All public’s getting a trophy?

I agree. Two makes sense with the numbers but there is a big problem in that there are 4 to 5 schools so much bigger than all others. JC, PC, Montini, Rita, IC etc would be ok to play them. But schools like Carmel, Laurence, viator, DLS, etc really don’t belong in the same class as Loyola or rice.

maybe 4 classes. 8, 12, or 16 teams per class. But then 1a winner plays 2a winner for small school champ. 3a vs 4a for large school champ.

Agree with the top part. But still chicago area forgets about how many small private’s there are are down state or in Rockford or west Illinois. They think about iccp as small. Well there is smaller and those areas don’t draw from a metro area so they are even smaller in practice.

Not gonna have class winners play each other because you then discredit the losers title in some way. Will Never happen.

Let’s pretend a private equity firm buys bankrupt Illinois, let’s the unsustainable pension fall out get arbitrated out in the federal courts, and ushers a new era of freedom for all Illinois families with school choice voucher programs.

Reactions: Rum Ham and ignazio
The disparities between private’s in the state are much larger than between public’s. And you would still have 6 public divisions at a minimum? All public’s getting a trophy?

Actually if the public's use 6 classes only 1.3% win a title compared to 5% in the private division.

Actually if the public's use 6 classes only 1.3% win a title compared to 5% in the private division.

See the first sentence in my post. Public funding of public’s maintains a certain level of parity among public’s even of varying size that is different than the private’s. ICCP versus Walther is 2 different worlds even though the enrollment number is not that monumental. The smaller names you know like Bishop Mac and ICCP and others would be in the middle division. The st theresa Decatur, Rockford Christian, walther types among others would be your small division, you know the big division.

Should be 30 in a class. Top 12 or 16 in playoffs. Whatever is done the fight to avoid being in the bigger class would be fun to watch.

It would be private schools acting like the IHSA using arbitrary ways to split up schools.

Reactions: mc140
Should be 30 in a class. Top 12 or 16 in playoffs. Whatever is done the fight to avoid being in the bigger class would be fun to watch.
It would be private schools acting like the IHSA using arbitrary ways to split up schools.
I agree more with you than you think. My base point remains: if the IHSA (where gerrymandering, politicking, manipulation, fighting by member schools already exists) is to split into privates and publics, it makes no sense to stay.

And as you and clown babe point out does nothing about the posturing schools will do under both tents. But, my point is to just be in charge administratively of your own tent if they vote for the split. Keep the gate. But neither organizations problems go away ie the CMC of the 2000s ended with infighting.

Agree with the top part. But still chicago area forgets about how many small private’s there are are down state or in Rockford or west Illinois. They think about iccp as small. Well there is smaller and those areas don’t draw from a metro area so they are even smaller in practice.

Not gonna have class winners play each other because you then discredit the losers title in some way. Will Never happen.
I don’t disagree. But they will have to get creative somehow. Need 3 classes at a minimum and that still leaves a giant disparity at the top of they split enrollment into even thirds. Maybe an 8 or 12 team top class and bigger classes at the 2 smaller levels. It’s just going to be hard to get the schools with enrollments of 400 to 700 bumped up to play with the big boys so I don’t know the solution.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
this is a total what if and definitely hasnt been though through completely. interested to see what you guys have to say. This is far from perfect.
3 private school classes based solely on male enrollment.
small class consist of 1A, 2A, 3A,
medium class consist of 4A, 5A, smaller half 6A
large class consist of Larger 6A, 7A, 8A,

-school like SR, PC, Naz, MC, etc play in the large no matter what the enrollment because they want to not because they have too.
-play a 10 game season, 1 extra game for players to have.
-top 16 or 8 teams depending on number of teams in each class
-winner of each class to play the winner of the IHSA champs (see below)
My guess would be the IHSA would go down to 6A classes.
after the private school and IHSA championship.
IHSA would then play a game between
2A vs 3A winner plays private small class champs
1A champ plays runner up in the private small class game
4A vs 5A winner plays middle medium class winner
6A champ plays private large class winner

I don’t disagree. But they will have to get creative somehow. Need 3 classes at a minimum and that still leaves a giant disparity at the top of they split enrollment into even thirds. Maybe an 8 or 12 team top class and bigger classes at the 2 smaller levels. It’s just going to be hard to get the schools with enrollments of 400 to 700 bumped up to play with the big boys so I don’t know the solution.

In something I typed in a different thread not that long ago I mentioned you didn’t necessarily have to have equal size brackets. If you aren’t taking everyone into the playoffs (as in you just qualify) maybe you only have a 16 team top bracket and 32 team middle bracket and a 24 team small bracket. Idk. As I said at the time I’d have to seen the exact enrollments of all private’s lines up from biggest to smallest to see how many teams fell into the 3 divisions at what would be reasonable cut off lines.

The proposal to split publics and privates reminds me of something my dad used to say: be careful what you ask for you might get it.
If private schools were to go and do their own thing, it would be a lot like education. We always do more with less. The ihsa may rue the day that they separated us.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
The proposal to split publics and privates reminds me of something my dad used to say: be careful what you ask for you might get it.
If private schools were to go and do their own thing, it would be a lot like education. We always do more with less. The ihsa may rue the day that they separated us.

A full split would mean chaos. I've said this for years. If the catholics form their own league, its a wrap. They'll govern themselves. Recruiting, sponsorships... the publics will crumble. The only reason there are some rules now is because the publics are watching. Literally taking pictures of catholic school coaches at youth games lol. If the catholics govern themselves, and there is no rule against recruiting, then whats to stop a catholic school coach, from watching a public freshmen practice? "Hey we have an opening at running back next year. You're a good player. Come on over!" Be careful what you wish for.

A full split would mean chaos. I've said this for years. If the catholics form their own league, its a wrap. They'll govern themselves. Recruiting, sponsorships... the publics will crumble. The only reason there are some rules now is because the publics are watching. Literally taking pictures of catholic school coaches at youth games lol. If the catholics govern themselves, and there is no rule against recruiting, then whats to stop a catholic school coach, from watching a public freshmen practice? "Hey we have an opening at running back next year. You're a good player. Come on over!" Be careful what you wish for.
I’ve been saying this for years but people refuse to listen. They think Catholic schools “cheat” now, just imagine...

I’ve been saying this for years but people refuse to listen. They think Catholic schools “cheat” now, just imagine...
So your defense is...."if you think were bad now just wait, we cant be trusted so keep an eye on us" You guys make me laugh with all of this crap! And you wonder why many of us cant wait for the split. Bring it on !!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT