ADVERTISEMENT

Lausch to Notre Dame!

He is clearly at that level in baseball but is he at that level in football?

I believe the scholarship is for baseball and PWO for football. Amazing either way. Real first class young man. Has the grades to succeed there too.
I think if he is playing both the scholarship has to be through football, but I could be wrong.

Reactions: kkhawk
I think if he is playing both the scholarship has to be through football, but I could be wrong.
Alek Thomas had a similar spilt thing a few years from TCU where they clearly wanted him mainly for baseball and football was a throw in case he went pro and it didn’t pan out he could return and play football...I’m not 100% sure but he went pro and is doing well so I don’t think he will be playing for the Horned Frogs anytime soon.

Lausch has great talent but ND football rides are golden and usually go to 4 and 5 star recruits and I don’t think he’s even a 2 star for football so I don’t think they would invest a scholarship in him but clearly baseball would and football would welcome him as a PWO.

I'm pretty sure ND football is looking at him at Strong Safety or Free Safety

Edgy has a conversation article on the main page where all is explained. Baseball scholarship/Football PWO. Intends to tryout at QB his first season

Reactions: EdgyTim
Alek Thomas had a similar spilt thing a few years from TCU where they clearly wanted him mainly for baseball and football was a throw in case he went pro and it didn’t pan out he could return and play football...I’m not 100% sure but he went pro and is doing well so I don’t think he will be playing for the Horned Frogs anytime soon.

Lausch has great talent but ND football rides are golden and usually go to 4 and 5 star recruits and I don’t think he’s even a 2 star for football so I don’t think they would invest a scholarship in him but clearly baseball would and football would welcome him as a PWO.
Not really true. In the past three recruiting classes, ND has 1 five star, 26 four stars and 18 three. They clearly give many scholarships to 3 star recruits.

Reactions: McCaravan
Not really true. In the past three recruiting classes, ND has 1 five star, 26 four stars and 18 three. They clearly give many scholarships to 3 star recruits.
I’m stuck in the Lou Holtz era! Only one 5 is odd though

Reactions: USD24
Jack Lausch from Rice is heading to ND to play football and baseball. Great to hear. Great kid from a fantastic family.

Lausch to Irish

USD:

Congratulations to this young man. As a passionate follower of baseball, I can tell you Lausch is quite an impressive baseball player. Since COVID utterly wrecked high school sports this past year, I, regrettably, did not have a chance to see Lausch play. I did, however, glance at his Hudl video and saw his size and speed, both of which I thought were fairly good. The video showed few deep pass attempts, which is what I was most eager to see.

For those who are expressing skepticism over Lausch's fortunes with the football program at ND, I think they may be higher than some predict. ND just waved goodbye to Ian Book. Book's absence leaves numerous questions at the quarterback position. I will avoid segueing into a long-winded rant about how much I dislike Brian Kelly, but I will mention how I am utterly appalled at the fact during Kelly's tenure ND has failed to produce a superior quarterback. Book was good, but not a Steve Beuerlein, who I consider the best ND quarterback in the past thirty years.

Lausch is entering ND at a time in which the Irish have Drew Pyne and Brendon Clark, both of whom have little experience on the field. ND's alternative is an underwhelming Jack Coan, a UW transfer. Though ND did land two quarterbacks for the 2021 recruiting class, only one, Tyler Buchner, demonstrated real skill. I watched Buchner and he is a superior passer, has a strong arm, good feet, and a quick release. Buchner could be the great quarterback which has eluded Kelly and ND. Aside from Buchner, the other ND scholarship recruit at quarterback is Ron Powlus III. Hopefully, he is not a re-incarnation of his dad.

Buchner turned down offers from Alabama, Oregon, UCS, Oregon, Georgia, Michigan, Arizona, and ASU, amongst others. In contrast, Powlus' offers were from Bowling Green, Central Michigan, Indiana State, Kentucky and Yale. For those who are familiar with me, I will be uncharacteristically charitable and avoid leveling acidic criticism at Powlus over his unimpressive offers.

Lausch will have some competition, but he could find a place within the football program and I do expect him to develop as a quarterback at ND. Even if he does not remain with the football program, he is certainly coveted with the baseball program and the baseball team at ND has been revived after struggling for a decade.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT