ADVERTISEMENT

Last Season Wild and Unpredictable

Blue Ruin

May 16, 2019
Chicago
Can this year be as topsy-turvey as last year? Loyola lost three games and took state. Joliet Catholic lost four games and took state. Rice went almost undefeated, their only loss coming at the hands of Loyola, a team they crushed a few months earlier. When was the last time Rice went 13-1? Maybe in 1981, when they last took state. Marist developed into a power, losing only twice, both times to Rice. Marist has been coming on for the last five years or so, winning the conference several times, but a state championship still eludes them. Finally, the Beast from the East, LWE, looked unstoppable all season long only to lose their final game, with Loyola playing the spoiler once again. I may be blind or biased, but I didn't see that coming.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Wild and unpredictable?

1A Northwest Illini conference produces a champion...

2A Maroa-GCMS rematch in finals, 4 unbeatens in semis

3A Byron-Monticello final...okay, Herscher to the semis was unlikely; Wilmington lost its 10+ year conference winning streak

4A RB vs Coal City in the quarters to determine who joins the big 3 of IC, Mac, Rochester...IC rolls

What exactly was unpredictable here...

Wild and unpredictable?

1A Northwest Illini conference produces a champion...

2A Maroa-GCMS rematch in finals, 4 unbeatens in semis

3A Byron-Monticello final...okay, Herscher to the semis was unlikely; Wilmington lost its 10+ year conference winning streak

4A RB vs Coal City in the quarters to determine who joins the big 3 of IC, Mac, Rochester...IC rolls

What exactly was unpredictable here...

Not to disparage them, but I tend to overlook the lower classes. It has more to do with time, interest, and location than with anything else. There's a parallel in college football, with the big name Division I schools getting all the money and exposure. Similarly, Classes 5-8 get most of the headlines here in Chicago and seem to dominate the rankings. But I know that small town fans are just as passionate about their teams as we are in the city and suburbs. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT