ADVERTISEMENT

LA 47 ICCP 0 Final

Ouch. In a physical battle on Friday night then called not too good on Tuesday night. Poor kid.

Got me there. Good one. I now feel like a bears post game guy after a loss. Except this ain’t NFL

Reactions: RockSoup
Doesn’t matter. How many GBW guys returned to practice after the DGN game and then went on a run. Actually a lot. Good move for West. Looked bad for little IC
It kinda matters. If most or all are back it calls into question whether they could have played versus LA or not and pretty much confirms that IC felt they had no shot so they decided to not even try.

Hard to compare what IC did to GBW being that the size discrepancy isn't there, in fact GBW is bigger than DGN, so it doesn't come off as GBW being scared and holding players back. Also, were all 10 starters that went both ways?

Just a double edged sword. Confirm get healthier or roll the dice and have all the studs face size and speed that will make Morris and Rochester seem less big and less fast even though they are excellent teams. That’s the gift of playing Loyola. Not many teams can mirror their size, speed and responsibility discipline so it’s always a great opportunity. Bold strategy by the Knights. Let’s see how it plays out.

“Also, were all 10 starters that went both ways? “
Duh! Of course they were

Move on.

“Also, were all 10 starters that went both ways? “
Duh! Of course they were

Move on.
You're the one comparing apples to oranges so I had to make the overly obvious statement to show how your example wasn't the same.

It kinda matters. If most or all are back it calls into question whether they could have played versus LA or not and pretty much confirms that IC felt they had no shot so they decided to not even try.

They're officially disputing what was said on the radio:

Reactions: 4Afan
I really don't understand why people keep beating this dead horse. It doesn't matter if the players that sat were on their death bed, or if the coach just wanted to give them a game off. The coach runs the team, and made a decision he thought was best for the long-term success of the season.

There have been posts saying IC should have just forfeited, if they were going to sit the players. I'm sure everyone here would be praising that decision.........

Reactions: ClownBaby
I really don't understand why people keep beating this dead horse. It doesn't matter if the players that sat were on their death bed, or if the coach just wanted to give them a game off. The coach runs the team, and made a decision he thought was best for the long-term success of the season.

There have been posts saying IC should have just forfeited, if they were going to sit the players. I'm sure everyone here would be praising that decision.........
Yes it does.

You don’t sit healthy division 1 players for fear of them getting hurt

Amen. No one outside the program will know the specifics of the IC situation, and ultimately it's the coach's decision. Let's move on.

Yes it does.

To add on..

I think a lot of people are riled up because the coach that complains about having to play Loyola in the offseason then sits his big guns vs Loyola during the season. Certainly doesn’t help the HC’s argument. The wording at the end of his public statement also doesn’t help. Nor does the fact that IC is very good this year, if they stunk I’m sure this would be a non issue. To many it seems like this either comes off as cowardice, as trying to send a message to the conference committee, or maybe it’s an ego thing and he doesn’t want his best getting smacked. I think people being upset are totally justified. I also think it’s now Week 8 and there’s better things to be discussed, but IC takes a big PR L on this one.

Reactions: colin2229
Bad look for IC and it makes me interested in what they will do week 9 against Fenwick. Assuming most of the guys missing last week are back this week and they win, they will be 6-2 and Fenwick will likely be 5-3 headed into the week 9 matchup. Do both teams just sit everyone because both teams have clinched a playoff birth and they don't care about where they are seeded in their respective divisions? Does IC specifically sit guys as well? Or was this just a "against Loyola" thing?

Bad look for IC and it makes me interested in what they will do week 9 against Fenwick. Assuming most of the guys missing last week are back this week and they win, they will be 6-2 and Fenwick will likely be 5-3 headed into the week 9 matchup. Do both teams just sit everyone because both teams have clinched a playoff birth and they don't care about where they are seeded in their respective divisions? Does IC specifically sit guys as well? Or was this just a "against Loyola" thing?
Can't imagine either sitting back in that situation, but stranger things have happened.

Why would neither school care where they are seeded?

Haven't posted in a while but this thread really touches a nerve. IC joined the conference knowing full well what the conference rules were. If you want to be in the conference then you have to follow ALL the rules and the conference schedule. As far as I'm concerned if they rested healthy players, they should be penalized in some fashion by the conference. The Catholic League is a tough conference. Deal with it - and this is coming from someone who's kids were routinely on the bad end of the scoreboard in these crossovers. At the top of HS football memories, my son recalls the time that only a poorly called pick penalty in the game against Mt Carmel cost them the upset against one of the big dogs. One of the biggest games in his career and he played in several state playoff games. The kids on the bottom of the crossovers want nothing more than to compete and show they belong with the players who get more attention in the top division. Shame on the coaches for valuing a trophy in the trophy case more than what's really in the heart of competition - competing at all times and playing for pride and giving all you have regardless of the competition.

And, to say that IC doesn't belong to be slotted where they are, they've beaten Benet, Naz and Marist already this year.

If LA started their starters and IC sat most of their starters, aren't the second stringers being put in harm's way or a position to get hurt more than the D1 prospects?
Yes. I said that a couple days ago.

Just read that IC asked for and received a running clock after the first quarter.

Reactions: lookoutforliam
Yes it does.

This all kicked off based off a rumor that was broadcast without any citation and IC is publicly refuting the rumor.

Nobody has established that they sat healthy players. Someone above did point out the kids that sat out the SF game as well as the potential injuries that occured during that came.

Next week will be telling as to who plays. Until then, everything is just conjecture.

This all kicked off based off a rumor that was broadcast without any citation and IC is publicly refuting the rumor.

As reported on this board, the rumor was the IC coach asked the LA coach to not play his starters. Yes, it was refuted. What wasn't refuted is the allegation that they sat healthy players.

Nobody has established that they sat healthy players. Someone above did point out the kids that sat out the SF game as well as the potential injuries that occured during that came.

Exactly. Nobody has established that. All we know is that the majority of their best players did sit. Do you find it at all interesting or telling that IC went out of its way to refute that telephone call rumor but chose not to address the intentionally sitting healthy players rumor/allegation?

Next week will be telling as to who plays. Until then, everything is just conjecture.

Yup.

One thing I find interesting is pretty much every top tier team in the state will rest kids who are dinged but could still play if they were playing another top tier team. Im looking forward to everyone who criticizing is IC for resting players to start calling out those teams weekly for doing the exact same thing. A big part of being a successful Coach is roster management and getting your team to November with a chance to win and advance.

One thing I find interesting is pretty much every top tier team in the state will rest kids who are dinged but could still play if they were playing another top tier team. Im looking forward to everyone who criticizing is IC for resting players to start calling out those teams weekly for doing the exact same thing. A big part of being a successful Coach is roster management and getting your team to November with a chance to win and advance.
I dont think I agree with this statement. At this point of the season, every team has numerous kids who are dinged up yet continue to play regardless of the opponent. Do you have evidence of other top tier teams resting 8-10 starters who are dinged up when playing a top team? It may happen, I am just not aware of it. I have followed JCA football pretty closely for the last 40 years or so and can't recall an instance where a large number of key players sat for a week because they were "dinged up".

Reactions: CatholicHigh41
I dont think I agree with this statement. At this point of the season, every team has numerous kids who are dinged up yet continue to play regardless of the opponent. Do you have evidence of other top tier teams resting 8-10 starters who are dinged up when playing a top team? It may happen, I am just not aware of it. I have followed JCA football pretty closely for the last 40 years or so and can't recall an instance where a large number of key players sat for a week because they were "dinged up".
Multiple public schools in the West burbs have done it for years it just doesn't usually happen in high profile games and its usually 1-2 players not 8. Times change and if IC finds success doing this I'm sure there will be other teams that follow suit and there is nothing wrong with that every coach has to do what best for their program.

Multiple public schools in the West burbs have done it for years it just doesn't usually happen in high profile games and its usually 1-2 players not 8. Times change and if IC finds success doing this I'm sure there will be other teams that follow suit and there is nothing wrong with that every coach has to do what best for their program.
I agree with you on that. But as you state, not in high profile games. There is a huge difference resting 1-2 vs 8. Only time will tell, but I dont see top programs resting the majority of their best players for a big game.

I agree with you on that. But as you state, not in high profile games. There is a huge difference resting 1-2 vs 8. Only time will tell, but I dont see top programs resting the majority of their best players for a big game.
IC vs LA isn't a big game its a mismatch, IC knew this and played it accordingly.

Not a mismatch.
Players 1-5 on the IC roster are on the level of LA after that players 6-30 are not anywhere near that level. People put to much weight into D1 talent at the high school level programs like LA maintain dominance due to roster depth and you aren’t going to have it when you only have 300 kids in a school.

Players 1-5 on the IC roster are on the level of LA after that players 6-30 are not anywhere near that level. People put to much weight into D1 talent at the high school level programs like LA maintain dominance due to duster depth and you aren’t going to have it when you only have 300 kids in a school.
I’m not going by the size of science classes, I’m just going by scores and seeing them both play.

IC vs LA isn't a big game its a mismatch, IC knew this and played it accordingly.
IC at full strength would have competed with LA as well as anyone on their schedule to date. By your rationale, everyone other than MC should sit their best players when playing LA. Or for that matter, anytime you dont think you're gonna beat a team, sit all of your top players so they dont get hurt. Why even play the games at this point? There are mismatches every week, yet we dont see teams sitting all their best players. I just dont like this philosophy.

IC at full strength would have competed with LA as well as anyone on their schedule to date. By your rationale, everyone other than MC should sit their best players when playing LA. Or for that matter, anytime you dont think you're gonna beat a team, sit all of your top players so they dont get hurt. Why even play the games at this point? There are mismatches every week, yet we dont see teams sitting all their best players. I just dont like this philosophy.
True. In my double edged sword comment above, I say the choice was confirmed health or testing the players you would need to test to eventually attempt to beat this year’s Morris and Rochester.

I said we’ll see how it plays out but, people can copy and paste this, in my head I was like they are going to regret not playing this game, challenging their stars with tighter windows, less time to throw, and not just for the kids to be ready for the best in 4A, but also the coordinators to strategize with less yards per carry, less yards after catch, less better field possession, coaching D vs decent downs and distances for offenses.

In my opinion, so much could have been learned by the staff and players if they played LA straight up and lost by 2-3 TDs, if not a tighter final, that would help them stepping up in class this year to 4A.

Last edited:
Teams that get blown out each typically aren’t capable of winning a state title but IC plays in a lower class so this game isn’t your typical mismatch. The philosophy is sound you may not like it but you see it in professional and college sports.

Reactions: USD24
Teams that get blown out each typically aren’t capable of winning a state title but IC plays in a lower class so this game isn’t your typical mismatch. The philosophy is sound you may not like it but you see it in professional and college sports.
I saw it when St. Rita played Loyola. Technically down by two scores, 21-5, they got the ball with 3 minutes left in the game and ran the clock out. No wild stuff to get into an onside kick situation to try and tie or pull off the upset. Just a business decision football fans understood, after a well played 45 minutes of Football. You can still honor the game (and I say make your team better) while making business decisions as the game reveals itself.

Ya, best for your program to play the #1 team in 8A with your backups. Can’t believe we’re actually talking about this.

I don’t like coaches sitting out players especially in a big game. It sends the wrong message. I would bet if given the choice those kids wanted to play. If they are truly injured then I understand. It’s hard to believe 8 of your best players are all injured for this game. It will be a miracle if they all are healthy for the next game. 😂

Reactions: Wassup13
I think they’re putting too much emphasis on winning 4A with a small roster. Thirty years ago this may not have happened

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT