ADVERTISEMENT

Joliet Catholic 48 Marengo 0 FINAL nm

Like that almost every year, some years there are 3-4 teams in the north bracket that I think would have beat the team making it to the state game from south bracket because they didn’t have to play JCA or Montini etc… but we’re preaching on the wrong board here. Lol
Not unlike how the south bracket teams must feel about Rochester.

Since when are the classes competitive? There have been massacres in our playoffs since forever.

Takes the fun out of it for other schools? Gimme a break. 31 schools will lose a 4A playoff game. Within all those games over five rounds, there will be massacres, and they won't all meted out by JCA. Deal with it.

Why can't a school be allowed to dominate its own class for one year without people bitching?
Yes, happens all the time when a #1 seed plays a #16 5-4 seed but you will have the same result all the way to the state game, enjoy it!

There are some very good teams in 4A, Marengo just is not one of them. Brave they are, but good? No.
If you keyboard Warriors are talking about this post by me, it was meant to give props to Marengo for how they played and their effort. It was a very clean and friendly game and Marengo came out and gave their all in spite playing against a much higher rated team.

The Marengo program gained respect from a lot of people and had some very good players.

You Keyboard Warriors really scare me sometimes, always trying to put others down.

I’m intrigued to see how RB, St Fran, SHG, Rochester match up against them.

I’m not counting out Rochester. Get blown out by Loyola…I have a feeling Derrick will have the troops fired up for the next opp against a similar opponent
You're overlooking Phillips, just saying!

If you keyboard Warriors are talking about this post by me, it was meant to give props to Marengo for how they played and their effort. It was a very clean and friendly game and Marengo came out and gave their all in spite playing against a much higher rated team.

The Marengo program gained respect from a lot of people and had some very good players.

You Keyboard Warriors really scare me sometimes, always trying to put others down.
I would been happier with some of your comments here rather than your original post.

As I was reading this thread last night I saw your post and thought nothing of it. I knew a pretty raw Wilmington team went on the road and shut down Marengo earlier this year.
When I saw the responses, after some thought, I could maybe see their point of view, but it was clear (to me at least) that there was no malice.

I would been happier with some of your comments here rather than your original post.
Sorry if sounded like that. But what I wrote above was how it was meant. It was an on-the-fly post flipping quickly back and forth between the game stream and the forum.

You guys like to read a lot into a post that isn't really there.

Friday 7:53 pm 1st half
This is getting embarressing give Marengo a lot of credit for hanging in there. : )

Jaws is already substituting, I sure hope they let the 2nd string play the whole 2nd half.
Friday 8:00 pm
There are some very good teams in 4A, Marengo just is not one of them. Brave they are, but good? No.
Saturday 8:30 am

Saturday 8:40 am
Sorry if sounded like that. But what I wrote above was how it was meant. It was an on-the-fly post flipping quickly back and forth between the game stream and the forum.

You guys like to read a lot into a post that isn't really there.
Hopefully reading all my posts in this thread in order will make it clear that there was no intended malice toward the Marengo program. Put your guns away. : )

Last edited:

Hopefully reading all my posts in this thread in order will make it clear that there was no intended malis toward the Marengo program. Put your guns away. : )
...... well from your posts it is clear that you are mean to animals, vegetation and asphalt too ;-)

Precisely. Not a dig against them at all. From a fans standpoint you just want to see a team of this caliber compete at the highest level possible. I was on a 4A championship team when there were 6 classes. For 30 plus years there has been talk in our circle how we would’ve fared against Peoria Richwoods who won 5A, and Mt Carmel, who were the 6A champs. We’ll never know unfortunately.
Crispy we did. We had an open date and scheduled Rice. 9-10 of the last 10 years JCA would get whupped on. Maybe not in 2012. JCA plays the class it is in and tries to schedule worthy opponents. In past years Simeon would be a nail biter and the Missouri team would be a loss.
In just my opinion (curious to what some of the board lifers say) this JCA team may be the best since the 75-1978 run. One of those teams did not give up a point in the playoffs at all. This team has 2 fine runners, at the same time has a good, deep line, and a very good QB who can make teams NOT be able to have 9 men in the box and 2 safeties. They also have at the same time a receiver who Joliet announcer last week said he had seen every local team and he is the best in the AREA. (not state or class just area). The defense has an excellent line with great linebackers and respectable secondary. Even in the Alstott, JR, and Issaac days the moons never aligned like this. Look, JCA fans like me have been humbled in the last 20 years. This coach never runs up the score. When it is a running clock he makes the QB use every second before he snaps. JC played the entire second half and did not score against Marengo. Against one of our toughest rivalries, Montini, we had the ball inside the 10 with over a minute to go and just took knees. I will also tell you that no missiles are being launched by JC fans on the board. Many comments are from people who have seen this team play and are gracious about what they saw.(think Awesome Rice fans).
Finally, you can't just pick your best team and play up when you feel like it. Playing around has ramifications. We were supposed to possibly land in 3a and JC petitioned for that not to happen. It is so easy to criticize a great team. ( kids pay to play football??) Well they sure got ripped many times in the last 20 years.)Twenty years ago I was one of those cocky JCA assholes who thought they were #1 in the State every time we beat St. Joes by 50 points. I grew up and grew humble. I think some posters need to grow up to the realization we don't care if we can beat ESL. I don't care if Loyola and us win, and they are crowned Cicagoland #1 by Edgy. All I know is I have been a JCA fan from the year i graduated and I am enjoying watching what may be the most complete JCA team ever.( we even have deep depth which is always Edgy's critique. I am sorry Marengo had us first game. They tried their best. The coach had a good game plan with 8 players lined up in 3 yards of the line but when the QB throws (2) 60 yard play action fakes, the linebackers have to back up and then the huge line and very very good backs take over. I ask is that you let us enjoy this year and if you don't hate JC, you enjoy it with us too. I have become a Warren fan just from seeing that persons passion for his team.
And finally again( just in my opinion) this JC team may run the table in 4a. They may by a lot as some suggest. But we definitely would not year after year. So I don't see the logic in what some posters are saying.
Maybe you are like me 20 years ago.

Hopefully reading all my posts in this thread in order will make it clear that there was no intended malis toward the Marengo program. Put your guns away. : )

Crispy we did. We had an open date and scheduled Rice. 9-10 of the last 10 years JCA would get whupped on. Maybe not in 2012. JCA plays the class it is in and tries to schedule worthy opponents. In past years Simeon would be a nail biter and the Missouri team would be a loss.
In just my opinion (curious to what some of the board lifers say) this JCA team may be the best since the 75-1978 run. One of those teams did not give up a point in the playoffs at all. This team has 2 fine runners, at the same time has a good, deep line, and a very good QB who can make teams NOT be able to have 9 men in the box and 2 safeties. They also have at the same time a receiver who Joliet announcer last week said he had seen every local team and he is the best in the AREA. (not state or class just area). The defense has an excellent line with great linebackers and respectable secondary. Even in the Alstott, JR, and Issaac days the moons never aligned like this. Look, JCA fans like me have been humbled in the last 20 years. This coach never runs up the score. When it is a running clock he makes the QB use every second before he snaps. JC played the entire second half and did not score against Marengo. Against one of our toughest rivalries, Montini, we had the ball inside the 10 with over a minute to go and just took knees. I will also tell you that no missiles are being launched by JC fans on the board. Many comments are from people who have seen this team play and are gracious about what they saw.(think Awesome Rice fans).
Finally, you can't just pick your best team and play up when you feel like it. Playing around has ramifications. We were supposed to possibly land in 3a and JC petitioned for that not to happen. It is so easy to criticize a great team. ( kids pay to play football??) Well they sure got ripped many times in the last 20 years.)Twenty years ago I was one of those cocky JCA assholes who thought they were #1 in the State every time we beat St. Joes by 50 points. I grew up and grew humble. I think some posters need to grow up to the realization we don't care if we can beat ESL. I don't care if Loyola and us win, and they are crowned Cicagoland #1 by Edgy. All I know is I have been a JCA fan from the year i graduated and I am enjoying watching what may be the most complete JCA team ever.( we even have deep depth which is always Edgy's critique. I am sorry Marengo had us first game. They tried their best. The coach had a good game plan with 8 players lined up in 3 yards of the line but when the QB throws (2) 60 yard play action fakes, the linebackers have to back up and then the huge line and very very good backs take over. I ask is that you let us enjoy this year and if you don't hate JC, you enjoy it with us too. I have become a Warren fan just from seeing that persons passion for his team.
And finally again( just in my opinion) this JC team may run the table in 4a. They may by a lot as some suggest. But we definitely would not year after year. So I don't see the logic in what some posters are saying.
AMEN!👌

I’m not knocking JCA or their schedule or the fact that they are in 4a at all but JCA didn’t schedule Rice, the CCL did. We don’t pick our crossover games.

I’m not knocking JCA or their schedule or the fact that they are in 4a at all but JCA didn’t schedule Rice, the CCL did. We don’t pick our crossover games.
thanks for that. I did not know that.

Since when are the classes competitive? There have been massacres in our playoffs since forever.

Takes the fun out of it for other schools? Gimme a break. 31 schools will lose a 4A playoff game. Within all those games over five rounds, there will be massacres, and they won't all meted out by JCA. Deal with it.

Why can't a school be allowed to dominate its own class for one year without people bitching?
Well Ramblinman it’s hard to agree for one year? How many state championship has JCA won?

Well Ramblinman it’s hard to agree for one year? How many state championship has JCA won?
Well Ramblinman it’s hard to agree for one year?- not sure. What does that comment mean? I'm just asking nicely because I don't understand it.

More than anyone but they were in higher classes too. rarely against this competition.
1) lost a title game against Mt Carmel
2) Lost a few titles to Montini. believe me whatever team you root for you didn't want to play Montini with Westerfield.
3) We have played against Rita and was competitive.
4) I think we beat Loyola the only time we played them.

I could go on. The point is most of those titles were not against a bracket like this. They were vs very good SHG, Morris, Peoria Richwoods, and Metamora all during these teams finest periods. Back in the 70's we won 4 in a row in the 2nd highest class.

Reactions: Gene K.
You want to get real about this? Here is real:

If Marengo had played 4A #1 seed public school Rochester, instead of #1 seed private school JCA, do you think it wouldn't have been a blowout?

Marengo was shutout in three games this year, all of which were against opponents that are #1 seeds in the playoffs. Two of those opponents were public schools. One of those public schools was a 2A school from a rural community smaller than Marengo.

This was #1 vs #16. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Marengo's problem is that they apparently overscheduled for this year...5-5, but their losses are to teams that are a combined 48-2, all making the second round...

They opened with 23-0 loss to 10-0 (assumed, 23-0 1st quarter & now passing...oops, 30-0) Wilmington, 2A North #1 seed, and helped the Wildcats from getting comments about marshmallow cupcake non-con opponents. What would we be saying if Marengo traded ICE opponents with 6-3 Plano - Plano went to Manteno and pasted the 2-7 Panthers. The story line here then would be how JCA pummeled Plano instead...

They then beat Canton, who may have finished 3-6 but went to the semis a couple of years ago.

They lost to 10-0 Morris and 10-0 Richmond Burton in conference. And they lost to 8-2 Rochelle (who strangely enough lost to 2-7 Herscher - winless in the ICE).

And they get pummelled by 10-0 JCA in the first round.

It’s a 16/1 game, this is not surprising regardless of private/public.
16/1 games this year (1-32, 2-31 7A & 8A):

1A...N 14-8, S 48-14
2A...N 55-0, S 62-7
3A...N 58-0, S 46-6
4A...N 48-0, S 48-0
5A...N 41-14, S 38-7
6A...N 42-8, S 45-0
7A...53-29, 37-0
8A...44-0, 24-13

Only 2 remotely close games...

JCA, just like the rest of the 1 seeds, can take their foot off the gas and be happy just winning by 48. Some people thought Cahokia could be competitive with Rochester in the other 4A 1-16 game, and it was the same score.

Wilmington's Defense had positive yardage against Julian...yes, Julian had I believe a -4 yards on offense for the game (-22 rushing, 18 passing). Julian had several early possessions that went like...1st & 10 after kickoff, 2nd & 17, 3d & 23 - and turned it over on 3rd & 23. Wilmo caught a punt at the Julian 31 yard line in the first quarter...Reents line changed the offense in early in the second quarter - took all 11 out and put in 11 subs...and continued to dominate. Its going to happen in the first round, period...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT