ADVERTISEMENT

John Holecek new coach of Illini

UNLV is still in a better spot now than when Sanchez took over. Very hard place to win in a conference much tougher than most give credit for.
I know all about them and the Mountain West. Being better than rock bottom is good.

If they develop a defense they have a chance, but he needs Gorman type recruits.

Holecek is not a good choice at the college D-1 level. Maybe NAIA or D-3 no way he is ready for a big time program. Who is he going to recruit? Nobody even knows who he outside of Chicagoland.
Let him enjoy his State title and leave it at that.

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the 1st time, but although I agree with you about the energetic motivated coach, I also don't see an unknown coach resonating with the recruits to get them to C-U. I think that's what Illinois thought they were getting with Beckman. I see why they went the Lovie route with name recognition and a pretty successful/consistent stint with the Bears, but I hadn't thought about the being 60 and "kissing asses" which is a valid concern.

Here's a controversial idea. How much would it cost to lure Fitz away from Northwestern?

Beckman ended up being hired because then-AD Mike Thomas was out of choices and thought that Beckman would be bringing Matt Campbell with him.

I don't think top recruits want to go to Illinois no matter who the coach is, which is the problem.
am an Illini alumni and did not want my sons to go there...they could have (no football for them in college). The best Illinois players who stay in state head to Northwestern.

I can see Holececk being a Pat Fitzgerlad type with similar offense. Can he keep the top kids in state? Do kids know him, or does he walk in living room and say " i was loyola's coach'? He'd compete for same kids NU want.....i say roll the dice and make it happen

I can see Holececk being a Pat Fitzgerlad type with similar offense. Can he keep the top kids in state? Do kids know him, or does he walk in living room and say " i was loyola's coach'? He'd compete for same kids NU want.....i say roll the dice and make it happen

Whitman is obviously going to try to keep the rebuild going with Lovie...

But Lovie needs a new DC...Holocek's from Steger/Crete area originally, went to Marion in Chicago Heights, former Illini defensive player of the year over all-American Dana Howard as a junior...played with two Butkus award winners in Howard & Kevin Hardy, and one of the all-time pass rushing greats in Simeon Rice...Now multiple state titles at Loyola...

How would you like to be the stud linebacker who has Holececk show you Howard's Butkus award and be told, "I helped Dana Howard win that award, and I can help you win one too!!!!" Show the recruit the Hardy Butkus award, and tell him the same? His life credentials get him in all over the Chicago area, south from growing up there, north from Loyola...

And groom him to replace Lovie...

Lovie aint going anywhere so its moot. Year 3 of the rebuild. Next year will be the 1st strictly with his recruits. Also, remember he jettisoned a lot of talented players that would have helped the Illini win a couple more games. Instead he opted to establish a no-nonsense culture (credibility) with the players to set a tone.

I applaud Whitman for backing his coach in providing stability for future recruits and coaches. Illini positioning themselves to be successful by laying a "foundation" to build upon for consistent and lasting success. You have to crawl before you can walk...

Last edited:
For anyone interested I Coach Holecek is about to be interviewed on the Score 670 at 3 pm today ( in 1 minute )

Chuck Martin would be an excellent fit.
Holecek....would a great risk, but one worth taking! At this point what do we have to lose, and why not go with the best high school coach in the land?! Get the other high school coaches behind him in the state and watch out.

John is not going to go down to Champaign. He has a good gig at LA and doesnt seem real motivated to get in the asst coach rat race right know for lifestyle reasons. I could see him making a move once his youngest graduates, but that is 3 to 4 years away.

Illinois extending Lovie makes sense if you can show positive trajectory next year and bring in a top DC. Get to a bowl next year is a must.

If Whitman makes a change, I would Love to see him go with Jeff Monken from West Point runs the flexbone. That presents real scheme problems for the mid an lower levels of the Big Ten. You can consistently get to a 7-5 /8-4 bowl threshold with it with a special year thrown in every now and then. I think Illinois fans would love that. I could also see Lance Leopold and potentially Chuck Martin beinga good fit in CU. I am a little suprised that Martin hant one more at Miami, but the guy is a good coach

I like the option at Illinois, you get the under the radar kids at Illinois and coach them up

Reactions: JolietWest89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT