ADVERTISEMENT

John Holecek new coach of Illini

Why the hell not? Good call there. It will have to wait at least a year; I am sure Whitman will allow Lovie to have one more year. And great job this year with your thread--it was entertaining as hell, as they always are. Now, let's get Rita back into the damn playoffs!

Reactions: McCaravan and feeto
Why the hell not? Good call there. It will have to wait at least a year; I am sure Whitman will allow Lovie to have one more year. And great job this year with your thread--it was entertaining as hell, as they always are. Now, let's get Rita back into the damn playoffs!
I for one would like to see Holecek leave ..... for Illinois. Did I hear his son was graduating this year?

If he can pipeline the Chicago kids and keep them in state, I’d say pay the man, Whitman $$

His oldest is a senior. He’s got two more boys. I’d be shocked if he left.

It would be a multi million dollar contract. He'd go in a second. He'd be a perfect fit. Former Illini captain. Illinois coaching legend. He'd have a great in on local talent. #HIREHOLECEK

His oldest is a senior. He’s got two more boys. I’d be shocked if he left.

Agreed, I still think he likes coaching at the high school level. His kids attended OLPH and now LA and the family is part of the community. I don't see him leaving unless serious lobbying happens to make it happen

This thread always makes chuckle I can’t think of one coach that went from high school head coach to D1 head coach and was successful?

There have been plenty that went to D1 as assistants and worked up to HC and were successful but that’s not what people in this thread want. Why would he be successful in the Big Ten?

Reactions: Cross Bones
It would be a multi million dollar contract. He'd go in a second. He'd be a perfect fit. Former Illini captain. Illinois coaching legend. He'd have a great in on local talent.

Lol. I see what you’re doing here...He turned an opportunity down just a few years ago. Anything’s possible but I doubt his mind has changed.

I agree that a coordinator position would be something to consider but there’s a lot of travel involved on the recruiting side of things that I still don’t think he wants any parts of. John is definitely not in it for the bread. Pretty sure he still has NFL money and he drives the same car he did when he got hired at LA.

I don't think top recruits want to go to Illinois no matter who the coach is, which is the problem.

Reactions: Videosurfer
Right now I agree with you. With the right guy with the right attitude and some winning football you’ll get plenty of kids that would play in Champaign.
Absolutely, but how are you going to win without the players?

This thread always makes chuckle I can’t think of one coach that went from high school head coach to D1 head coach and was successful?

There have been plenty that went to D1 as assistants and worked up to HC and were successful but that’s not what people in this thread want. Why would he be successful in the Big Ten?
Are you bashing UNLV?

Absolutely, but how are you going to win without the players?
You get an energetic motivated coach that could sell ice cubes to eskimos ( being a salesman is a great quality to coaches below the pro level) . Lovie was an absolutely horrible hire. He was pushing 60 and hadn’t been at the college level in 20 years. You honestly think he wants to kiss the asses of 17-19 year old young men? I’m guessing not.

Is Holocek the guy? I’m guessing no. It’s a tough transition to go from high school to Big Ten head coach with no college experience. There’s a guy out there I guarantee it. The Illini AD has to find him , either now or in three years or however long is left on Lovie’s contract.

You get an energetic motivated coach that could sell ice cubes to eskimos ( being a salesman is a great quality to coaches below the pro level) . Lovie was an absolutely horrible hire. He was pushing 60 and hadn’t been at the college level in 20 years. You honestly think he wants to kiss the asses of 17-19 year old young men? I’m guessing not.

Is Holocek the guy? I’m guessing no. It’s a tough transition to go from high school to Big Ten head coach with no college experience. There’s a guy out there I guarantee it. The Illini AD has to find him , either now or in three years or however long is left on Lovie’s contract.
I could be wrong, wouldn't be the 1st time, but although I agree with you about the energetic motivated coach, I also don't see an unknown coach resonating with the recruits to get them to C-U. I think that's what Illinois thought they were getting with Beckman. I see why they went the Lovie route with name recognition and a pretty successful/consistent stint with the Bears, but I hadn't thought about the being 60 and "kissing asses" which is a valid concern.

Here's a controversial idea. How much would it cost to lure Fitz away from Northwestern?

This state is already bankrupt. If Fitz wouldn't leave for ND he isn't leaving for UofI, regardless of $$.
Different expectations. If you coach ND you better win otherwise you're gone in a few years or less. At Illinois if he gets 6 wins and not blown out in the losses, with the occasional 7-9 win season he gets a statue. Shad Khan can bankroll it.

I don’t know who the hottest candidates out there are but like I said I guarantee there’s a guy out there that can get it done. Finding that guy is what makes or breaks an AD. I hope they can find him.

Chuck Martin. Southside guy with great relationships in the areas. I don’t see him sticking around Miami much longer.

Reactions: evanston1
Are you bashing UNLV?

See Texas legend Todd Dodge who played QB at UT and built Southlake Carroll into a national power and then went 6-37 at North Texas. You can also add in Gerry Faust, but yeah I’m bashing UNLV.

Reactions: epicbret
See Texas legend Todd Dodge who played QB at UT and built Southlake Carroll into a national power and then went 6-37 at North Texas. You can also add in Gerry Faust, but yeah I’m bashing UNLV.
Damnit bash harder is my point

How did that work out for Gerry Faust?
A couple of Bowls and a 6-5 in which they voted not to go, in a 5 year span, though some bad losses, particularly to the U. Expectations in Champaign are far lower, and if Holocek is on the same track/fate as Faust, maybe Holoceks next job is the 1st HC at a smaller local program coming up from FCS or G5.

I think I lost you LOL.

I'm saying suggesting Fitz as the coach for Iowa [a school he despises] makes as much sense as saying he should coach Illinois [a school he despises maybe more]
Didn't really lose me, just showing all options should be looked into. Think Fitz hates UofI more than he likes money? I mean, our generation watched Dennis Rodman play on the same team as MJ and Pippen.

Didn't really lose me, just showing all options should be looked into. Think Fitz hates UofI more than he likes money? I mean, our generation watched Dennis Rodman play on the same team as MJ and Pippen.
If Fitz liked money he'd already be elsewhere

Reactions: IgorStL
Somewhere else, but with higher expectations than Illinois. Somewhere else, but further from home. I think someone should create the website now recruitfitz.com
giphy.gif

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81

First example is lovie slo mo smith,look at his career,that's all you half to do,I'm sure he's a nice person but I think he made a bad career choice. Holecek would be a perfect fit.

First example is lovie slo mo smith,look at his career,that's all you half to do,I'm sure he's a nice person but I think he made a bad career choice. Holecek would be a perfect fit.

Love is a bum and a terrible hire but his career is way more accomplished then Holecek, what makes anyone think Holecek would be successful at U of I? Having played LB in college and winning a few state titles make you candidate for LB coach not head coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT