ADVERTISEMENT

JCA-Minooka

CelticPride13

Mar 21, 2010
Should be a great game tomorrow @ JCA 4:30pm.. Minooka will be throwing ace Mike Foltynewicz whose going to Texas.. Any chance the hilltoppers can pull it off??? The game will also be on 1340am Wjol as well

We will find out tomorrow. I'll be there. I'm looking forward to seeing Foltynewicz pitch. I'll also be interested to see who JCA starts. Their preseason #1, Palluch, has been hit around a bit this year. Will they pitch Jr. Kyle Cunningham, who one-hit Rita? We shall see.

i realize this is just 1 game but its too bad baseball doesnt have it like D1 where title "game" is best of 3...i mean sure Minooka has a stud going to Texas but maybe JC has 6-7 solid pitchers while Minooka has 1 or 2 etc....

The verdict is in....

Foltynewicz is the real deal. That was as good a performance by a high school baseball player as you will see. He pitched 5 scoreless innings on a very difficult day to pitch. The buzz was that he hit 96 on the gun (against a very strong wind) and was consistently around 94.

At the plate? How about 3 for 4 with 2 HR's and 8 RBI's. The one out he made was his best hit ball...a missle to the wall in left field. Not a bad day's work.

Exactly. Minooka with their ace proved to be clearly better than JC today. But come playoff time, JC has as good or even better a chance to make a run because they run a little deeper on the mound. If Minooka's #2 runs into another team's hot #1 in the regional, their season is over in single elimination, whereas double elimination or 2/3 at least allows them to come back with their best foot forward in an attempt to stay alive. Such a gamble with single elimination.

...and JCA is in 3A and Minooka is in 4A. Thus, a much better chance to make a run in the post season.
This post was edited on 4/1 9:17 PM by Bag Phone

All i have to say is WOW.. Mike Folty was 94-96 thru first 3 innings isn't even fair lol great player. It was definitely his day. Tomahawked 2 balls one to the track then the 2nd for about a 490ft bomb for his 2nd homerun. As for JCA why didn't they throw Cunningham??? He 1 hit St Rita and already beat one D1 pitcher, that was JCAs only shot at winning today was him throwing. Doesn't make sense, but Minooka is an average team when Folty doesn't pitch. When he does though the Indians are easily one of the best teams in the state. By the way GREAT CROWD, just to bad the Hillmen forget to show up.

Well, I was making a general postseason observation.

But JC benefits more from their sectional placement than their class placement. There are some real solid 3A sectionals, but JC drew a sectional where it seems like Lemont and Illiana Christian are 2 of the more prestigious programs, so they are set up for a nice run. But as we are discussing here, one good or bad day for any one pitcher can end a season in May.

Thinking out loud

I tend to agree with you as far as the double elimination goes.
Here are some thoughts:
1. Move the starting date from March 1 to roughly March 15. This gives hoops a chance to get done and the weather is most likely a little better.
2. Play your regular season games during April and May. All regular season games must be concluded by Memorial Day weekend.
3. Institute a double elimination format that will conclude bt the end of June.(I have no idea how long this will take)
4. All teams eliminated in the regional are eligible to play in what is now the summer league. All sectional qualifiers can not because they will still be continuing with their spring season.
5. Spring state finals will conclude by the end of June. Summer league will conclude by the second week of July.

I question the choice of starting pitchers also. Palluch, the presumed #1, is now 0-2. He could easily be 0-3, if not for a comeback vs. Lemont. He could not get the ball down yesterday. He doesn't have the stuff to pitch up in the zone like that. JCA fans also have to be concerned about the poor defense thus far in the early going. They lost to a very average JT team, partly because of committing four errors in one inning, and I didn't see a very good defensive team yesterday. It's early, but this team has a long way to go.

Re: Thinking out loud

i would also have no limit on games...also its baseball not football....a double elim tournament is not hard to do

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT