ADVERTISEMENT

JCA 14 Mascoutah 21 FINAL

The better more physical team won. JCA made a number of critical mistakes, just as they did in the 2nd half last week. Two blocked punts and a number of key holding calls. Props to the Mascoutah kids. Seemed as if Mascoutah wore down the Hilltoppers, which is normally the JCA formula.

It was a weird atmosphere. Seemed as if almost all of the JCA student body was at the girls volleyball match. Mascoutah brought their band and a pretty good contingent of fans. The team and fans rose to the occasion.

After watching JCA the last 6 Quarters they have played, I'm glad we're not going to have to play Rochester at Rochester, that might have ended bad.
No doubt. JCA's schedule was front-loaded this year. I think many fans, including myself, were lulled into a false sense of security with this team. They didn't play great competition the latter part of their schedule. They are a young group, though. They should be a lot better next year. We shall see.

If you factor in Mascoutah’s winning percentage from last week,25%, to this week’s,5%, they were given a 1.25% chance to win those games. (Based on Massey). I’d put them as underdogs against Rochester, but with their momentum and their fan base getting a home game, I would not look past them. As much as I wanted them to win this week, I never actually expected it

They are going to have a lot of fans headed in the semi's. They are now wearing the Cinderella shoe.

No doubt. JCA's schedule was front-loaded this year. I think many fans, including myself, were lulled into a false sense of security with this team. They didn't play great competition the latter part of their schedule. They are a young group, though. They should be a lot better next year. We shall see.
Future is very bright, they were a good team this year. I’m very surprised about this outcome though.

I’m sure the CCL has but I can’t imagine too many conferences can say the team that got 4th place in conference out of 6 or less teams made the semi-finals. Especially if you don’t count teams that play in conferences with bigger schools cause Mascoutah is the second biggest school in theirs I believe

Not to take anything away from Mascoutha but this is unacceptable from JCA. They are a powerhouse.

Mascoutah won in the trenches plain and simple..
Their two huge linemen should be commended, as should #44 on Defense who disrupted many plays.
This is a game of match ups.
They matched up well and executed at critical times.
Their coaching staff deserves a great deal of credit for identifying Hilltopper tendencies on both sides of the ball, developing very effective schemes off of that and taking advantage of mental errors and breakdowns.

If it happens it happens. At least we won’t go down in a small class attempted championship grab to a 1 stop sign town like Mascoutah or Sycamore.
Multiple stop lights in Mascoutah, but still small.

Mascoutah is a small city in St. Clair County, Illinois, United States, named for the Mascoutens, a tribe of the Illinois Indians. The population was 8,029 at the 2018 census.

Last I heard of Mascoutah was back in 1979 when they played Morris in the championship game. JCA just has to avoid teams with M's in the near future as they have been a thorn in their side in the playoffs since 2005...Montini,Morris ,Mascoutah. Hat's off to JCA as many JCA fans I am friends with expected them to be down this year.To be playing in the middle of November is nothing to be ashamed of. And to the few "newer posters" who want to rip on JCA about what class they are in or what ever.....everybody hate's winners...right?

If it happens it happens. At least we won’t go down in a small class attempted championship grab to a 1 stop sign town like Mascoutah or Sycamore.
You are really trying to make me regret saying "I would still include you with the good to decent posters on this board".

Where does all your hate come from?

Last I heard of Mascoutah was back in 1979 when they played Morris in the championship game. JCA just has to avoid teams with M's in the near future as they have been a thorn in their side in the playoffs since 2005...Montini,Morris ,Mascoutah. Hat's off to JCA as many JCA fans I am friends with expected them to be down this year.To be playing in the middle of November is nothing to be ashamed of. And to the few "newer posters" who want to rip on JCA about what class they are in or what ever.....everybody hate's winners...right?
Yikes, I wish you hadn't made that "teams with M's" analogy, now I'll have that one sneaking around in my head. :eek:

I do feel similar to how I felt after watching the Dergo show years ago.

Reactions: Gene K. and 4Anorth
They have real nice looking school down there with a turf field. The program has been up and down for years. Won the 3A title in '79 and then after going 9-1 in '80, struggled to get over.500 for a decade until they went 11-1 in '90 and then again would see a lot of seasons well below .500 some being winless ones. Mid 2000s started going back into the post season winning a game or two, but then back to just a few wins a season. As recently as 2015 they were 0-9 , but slowly climbed the ladder and here they are 9-3...but I'm not seeing Rochester losing to them...

Reactions: Gene K.
Multiple stop lights in Mascoutah, but still small.

Mascoutah is a small city in St. Clair County, Illinois, United States, named for the Mascoutens, a tribe of the Illinois Indians. The population was 8,029 at the 2018 census.

And Sycamore has over 18,000 ....some people on this board need to escape from their safe and comfy nests and realize there's a whole big state out there beyond I 80 and Rt 59 .Hell we got indoor plumbing years ago and man you wouldn't believe the uproar when we got the internet.

You are really trying to make me regret saying "I would still include you with the good to decent posters on this board".

Where does all your hate come from?
There is no hate as I really don’t think I know any JC people. What I don’t like is seeing a school that is allowed to bring in football players from a large area beat up on small town teams & claiming all these titles. The Rita people I’ve spoken to have been pretty vocally embarrassed about this situation. They don’t feel they belong there & know that it won’t be ideal if they do make it to DeKalb playing at 10 am & then hanging around 7 hours to watch MC, Marist or BR play should any of them make it because they know those are the schools they compete against & that’s where they belong. If Rita gets the title, good for them, have many friends at SR. But they know that trophy will carry no weight when they walk in a grade school to talk to kids with a 5A trophy & MC walks in with a 7A right after. Kids are asking why they aren’t playing their rivals & im sure the folks at SR aren’t happy about it. The difference between SR & JCA is that they are only there because of a couple down years & want to get back. Seems like JCA is content snatching these lower class trophies from small towns.

There is no hate as I really don’t think I know any JC people. What I don’t like is seeing a school that is allowed to bring in football players from a large area beat up on small town teams & claiming all these titles. The Rita people I’ve spoken to have been pretty vocally embarrassed about this situation. They don’t feel they belong there & know that it won’t be ideal if they do make it to DeKalb playing at 10 am & then hanging around 7 hours to watch MC, Marist or BR play should any of them make it because they know those are the schools they compete against & that’s where they belong. If Rita gets the title, good for them, have many friends at SR. But they know that trophy will carry no weight when they walk in a grade school to talk to kids with a 5A trophy & MC walks in with a 7A right after. Kids are asking why they aren’t playing their rivals & im sure the folks at SR aren’t happy about it. The difference between SR & JCA is that they are only there because of a couple down years & want to get back. Seems like JCA is content snatching these lower class trophies from small towns.
Like the trophy they snatched from Montini last year ? Small town Lombard...?

The better more physical team won. JCA made a number of critical mistakes, just as they did in the 2nd half last week. Two blocked punts and a number of key holding calls. Props to the Mascoutah kids. Seemed as if Mascoutah wore down the Hilltoppers, which is normally the JCA formula.

It was a weird atmosphere. Seemed as if almost all of the JCA student body was at the girls volleyball match. Mascoutah brought their band and a pretty good contingent of fans. The team and fans rose to the occasion.
Not a good day for JCA as Sterling beat them in volleyball to repeat as state champs. Yeah, I know it isn’t football.

I don't get it. JCA has 300 males, they belong in 5a.

St Rita has 600 males.

Seems like JCA is getting trophy's in the right class.

-----

My question for JCA is how many trophy's were obtained from the north bracket and how many from the south bracket?

Just wondering.

Reactions: IgorStL
Seems to me like most of the “name brand” schools are in the proper class with the exception of Flyer and Rita, which has been discussed here numerous times. I’m possibly forgetting a couple.
JCA seems like a good fit for 5A given their situation.

JC has been “content” winning ONE trophy in the last 8 years in that terrible, measly, weak class that is 5A.

your comment would only make sense if they were actually racking up titles in this class. Perhaps your perception of what JC is today exceeds the reality.

JC has been “content” winning ONE trophy in the last 8 years in that terrible, measly, weak class that is 5A.

your comment would only make sense if they were actually racking up titles in this class. Perhaps your perception of what JC is today exceeds the reality.
Jca doesn’t really have a choice what class they land in for the playoffs. Jca played in 5a in 99 Jca is going to play in 5a 10 yrs from now. Jca has won 4a 5a and 6a it all depends on where they land. I would like to welcome Rita to 5a. They will be here for awhile in less they manage to some how up there enrollment in a yr. can’t force people to pay for private schools.

Reactions: Gene K.
Not a good day for JCA as Sterling beat them in volleyball to repeat as state champs. Yeah, I know it isn’t football.
The worst part of that fact is this. I heard that most (or all) of the rowdy cheering crowd (the Hill Zone) traveled down state to support the girls volleyball team in their championship game and were not present at the football game. Maybe they felt the football game was in the bag or the championship game was just more important, but never underestimate the power of emotions and emotional support in high school sports.

The worst part of that fact is this. I heard that most (or all) of the rowdy cheering crowd (the Hill Zone) traveled down state to support the girls volleyball team in their championship game and were not present at the football game. Maybe they felt the football game was in the bag or the championship game was just more important, but never underestimate the power of emotions and emotional support in high school sports.
I’m sorry Kevin, I’m trying to understand what you’re saying here, are you implying that the outcome of this game or JCA’s performance was influenced by a smaller than normal student section?

I’m sorry Kevin, I’m trying to understand what you’re saying here, are you implying that the outcome of this game or JCA’s performance was influenced by a smaller than normal student section?
Oh I love how you turned everything I said around.

JCA was not playing well at all. And being a very young team, mostly sophomores 15 years old, you don't think they greatly missed their fellow students trying to get them back on track.

They are just teenagers and most of them barely teenagers. Yes it might have made a difference and got them fired up.

Oh I love how you turned everything I said around.

JCA was not playing well at all. And being a very young team, mostly sophomores 15 years old, you don't think they greatly missed their fellow students trying to get them back on track.

They are just teenagers and most of them barely teenagers. Yes it might have made a difference and got them fired up.
Not at all... just trying to understand if that’s what you were implying. It’s unfortunate that the game times conflicted. I’m sure the girls volleyball team appreciated the support as they were playing for a state championship.

Not at all... just trying to understand if that’s what you were implying. It’s unfortunate that the game times conflicted. I’m sure the girls volleyball team appreciated the support as they were playing for a state championship.
I watched the girls semi-final volleyball game and cringed as soon as I they announced the start time of the finals. (5:30 & 6:00 half the state away from each other.)

Reactions: Crispy Linnetta
I watched the girls semi-final volleyball game and cringed as soon as I they announced the start time of the finals. (5:30 & 6:00 half the state away from each other.)

Perhaps someone should question the JCA AD as to why they scheduled this game for 6 knowing that VB game could be then, instead of scheduling the game for 1 and perhaps being able to put the fans on a bus and getting them to VB finals...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT