ADVERTISEMENT

Is this the year we find out...

JCHILLTOPPERS

May 29, 2001
whether the West Suburban is a power, or was a conference that bubbled to the top, but ultimately is still just GW and then some other teams.

GW opens up with MS...but then that is all they really have for a while...

HC opens with St. X from Ohio, who ended the season as that state's #1... they then get OPRF in week 3.

OPRF opens up with Simeon...who knows what happens in that game.

The ESCC was down the last few seasons, but seems to be better this year. The DVC has been a mess, but looks loaded once again, and may want to fight its way back in contention for the state's toughest conference. The CCL, lately our flagship, maybe in dissary this season: MC lost players that are all-state caliber, Rita is?, PC has turned into a program that goes 5-4, but can win state, Rice seems to underwhelm in the playoffs...no need to mention Rambler.

All that said, the WS in the recent past has been one of the state's top conferences, but was that a flash in the pan or is it here to stay?

The league has been top heavy. Until DGN and York get back to a better level the league won't be able to be called the best. Also the playoff record of the other 3 top teams needs to improve to elevate the league. Too many one and done aside from the Hitters. DVC seems to always have a few teams make a run.

Lyons needs to be mentioned when discussing the West Sub. Silver. They have arguably the best QB in the state. They should compete for the conference title this year.

WSCS is probably the best public conference as of right now and since WWS and NN took some steps back. But their argument would be stronger if DGN and York were stronger. Hitters are who they are, OPRF pretty much handled LWE in their series, HC has always been strong. Lyons is good. DVC is more balanced, but I like the WSCS top 4. Not sure another public conference is in the discussion.

The league has been top heavy. Until DGN and York get back to a better level the league won't be able to be called the best. Also the playoff record of the other 3 top teams needs to improve to elevate the league. Too many one and done aside from the Hitters. DVC seems to always have a few teams make a run.

What is up with York? They were never a powerhouse but they were always a good to very good 8A program. They've really taken a turn for the worse in the last 10 years. I don't think they lose a lot of kids to IC do they?

What is up with York? They were never a powerhouse but they were always a good to very good 8A program. They've really taken a turn for the worse in the last 10 years. I don't think they lose a lot of kids to IC do they?

My gut says they lose the skill guys to IC, but no real evidence. Some of the kids I know have said that they hear more racist stuff from York on the field than anyone they face, so possibly might be a turn off to some of the skill guys eyeing IC. But that is really hearsay, so read very little into it.

York seems to utilize an uninspired offensive scheme that throws away too many possessions trying to hit home runs. They do have a burner that had some nice runs the last two years vs GW as a SO and JR.

For OPRF, it depends on when you play them. Over the last four years, OPRF is 22-0 in games played before they play GW and 10-10 from the GW game forward. I realize they backload LT and HC after GW in years past, but those GW games seem to wear down OPRF and guys start thinking about wrestling season. Catch them early in the season and look out, so I will take OPRF over Simeon again this year.

LT will be really good this year with Bryant and with the GW game at LT (with LT likely 5-0), you might have to call LT the WSS favorite. The key will be whether LT can stop GW's offense. Last year was an anomaly because of the injury to Ficarella, but Bryant did a great job avoiding pressure and working the GW secondary. Of course GW will have a huge chip on their shoulder for that game.

HC is HC and always puts a quality product on the field. I don't know what they were thinking with that week 1 game, but they might be 21.5 point underdogs in that game. Their OPRF game has been bumped up to week 3 in the new cycle, so HC might be 1-2 before getting healthy against DGN, York & PW. HC comes to Ducho for GW Homecoming, so HC might be looking at a 6-3 or dare I say, 5-4 season if they aren't careful.

PW might see something positive happen this year if their coach found some ball players to build around in his first year. Every coach gets a first year pass, but the second year is the key. If he can harness some nastiness, they might push to the top of the 2nd tier.

DGN to me is just stuck in a loop. That offense is so tired. It is a rarity these days to see a triple option work (C-G) yet DGN keeps throwing it out there like maybe this time it will work. They have had superior athletes run that thing but you need the precision blocking and timing to make it work and DGN never seems to have that. I think if you take the last six GW games, DGN does not have 500 yards combined. Now don't just throw that "yeah well it is GW" thing out there because OPRF might have had 500 yards in one game against GW last year. It is DGN.

GW needs to hope they can whether the hurricane that is the Greek Freak. And with the newly anointed "greatest oline in the history of 7 on 7 lineman challenges," GW will have their hands full. I'm pretty sure GW will put a few points on the board though, so maybe it comes down to the kicking game like it did between GW & H-F last year.

And opposed to this racist stuff that comes out of the music & comedians they listen to & love.And racist stuff NEVER comes out the mouths of CPS ;)

And opposed to this racist stuff that comes out of the music & comedians they listen to & love.And racist stuff NEVER comes out the mouths of CPS ;)

CPS schools don't play against WSS teams but recognize that talk is talk. I've talked to many kids in the GW program over the last 7 years and it is a recurring theme with them. Again, don't want to pull this thread into the ditch. My comment was in reference to why York loses skill guys to IC, nothing more. Cheers!

DVC is toughest conference again from top to bottom until next year...

Lol - yeah there is no DVC after next year. What's left is the Naperville's and Valleys.

I wonder if the Valleys would have joined knowing what would happen in just a few years? They could have stayed in the upstate 8 valley division and feasted, have one real game against West Aurora and 2 against each other, and then schedule some good non conference games. Metea would have made the playoffs in 2015 and 2016 if the Valleys stayed in the upstate 8.

If a few of the Upstate 8 valley fled the conference - they could have invited the Naperville's over to upstate 8 around the same time the Wheaton's and Glenbard bolted for the Dukane. Think it would have worked out much better that way,... but hindsight is 20/20.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT