ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time for the Everyone Gets In playoff format?

So the first 8 games now mean absolutely nothing......

Let's give everyone a trophy approach.

Wassup

If they use the outcomes of the first 8 games to give us legitimate seeding, then it's fair.
But if it's still seeding using record only, it'll worsen the problem as everyone will be avoiding competition.

If your playing 8 games just for seeding is ridiculous
Opening night, Homecoming Game, conference championship, revenge game, Senior Night, Don't-Like-the-Other-Team Night, Finally-Get-To-Start Night, Ruin-Their-Homecoming Game . . .

Reactions: woody6
Yuck.

I already dislike most round one matchups between 9-0 or 8-1 teams and 5-4 or 6-3 teams. 9-0 vs 0-9 is going to be a huge waste of time, not to mention dangerous mismatches for some teams.

If every school making the playoffs is in response to conference hopping and creative scheduling, why not just go the district route instead and keep the 256 team playoff format?

Yuck.

I already dislike most round one matchups between 9-0 or 8-1 teams and 5-4 or 6-3 teams. 9-0 vs 0-9 is going to be a huge waste of time, not to mention dangerous mismatches for some teams.

If every school making the playoffs is in response to conference hopping and creative scheduling, why not just go the district route instead and keep the 256 team playoff format?

Because schools don't want to be told who to play..

If Loyola was forced to lose their game with 2A Leo this year and instead play maybe winless Conant instead in round one of the playoffs.. is that really a big deal?

Because schools don't want to be told who to play..

If Loyola was forced to lose their game with 2A Leo this year and instead play maybe winless Conant instead in round one of the playoffs.. is that really a big deal?

Schools are already told who to play through their conferences. Loyola is already being told by the CCL to play Leo.

Given the choice between the CCL mandated schedule and an 8A district schedule that would include the likes of Loyola, NDCP, Evanston, Niles West, New Trier, Glenbrook South, Maine South and Stevenson, I'll take the latter option any day of the week.

Schools are already told who to play through their conferences. Loyola is already being told by the CCL to play Leo.

Given the choice between the CCL mandated schedule and an 8A district schedule that would include the likes of Loyola, NDCP, Evanston, Niles West, New Trier, Glenbrook South, Maine South and Stevenson, I'll take the latter option any day of the week.
Not to mention what about Leo, what's best for the Lions. Not that I like the district idea but in this particular case I can see the benefit.

I was discussing this on Saturday and I think I would be more open to this district idea if they changed them up every so often. Especially here in the burbs, you have so many options less than an hour away that it can be done reasonably.

What about Rivaleries in a district model? Have to ensure Oswego always plays Oswego east, Neuqua/Waubonsie, NN/NC etc etc.

As long as that is set in stone - district model might be the best solution?

What about Rivaleries in a district model? Have to ensure Oswego always plays Oswego east, Neuqua/Waubonsie, NN/NC etc etc.

As long as that is set in stone - district model might be the best solution?

Could easily be done depending on the size of the districts. With districts of 8 schools, you would have seven district games and two games out of district, perhaps in weeks one and two so as to make everyone looking for games for the same weeks.

Besides, you would probably find that many of those traditional rivalries would be included within district members.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Not to mention what about Leo, what's best for the Lions. Not that I like the district idea but in this particular case I can see the benefit.

I was discussing this on Saturday and I think I would be more open to this district idea if they changed them up every so often. Especially here in the burbs, you have so many options less than an hour away that it can be done reasonably.

Agreed on both points.

On your second point, I think that you would find some natural changes as some schools drop down and move up due to enrollment fluctuation.

I also think it would be interesting to switch things up a little bit from time to time. In Loyola's area, the closest 8A schools beyond the ones I previously mentioned would be Lane, Taft, Palatine, Fremd, Conant, Barrington, and probably Warren.

If you took the 8A schools in the far northeast corner of the state and went south and west from the Wisconson-Illinois border, you would create an 8 team district of Zion-Benton, Waukegan, Warren, Stevenson, Barrington, Palatine, Fremd and New Trier. From there, you would have Loyola, Glenbrook South, Evanston, Notre Dame, Niles West, Maine South, Lane Tech, and Taft.

All depends on from what direction you start building your districts. Every couple of years you could redistrict and start building from a different starting point.

Something else that might be necessary to look at is districts containing schools from two classes to ease in the districting. I think of the one or two 8A schools that are in southern Illinois. If you couldn't create districts comprised of 7A and 8A schools, would those large southern Illinois schools be in 8A districts with schools from the Joliet area?

Last edited:
Want to eliminate the conference hopping? Move to a system that doesn't classify a team for the post season based on the number of students they happen to have at their school and instead classifies based on how good/competitive the team is relative to the rest of the state.

Alternatively, just cop to the fact it's way to make more $$ for the IH$A.

Want to eliminate the conference hopping? Move to a system that doesn't classify a team for the post season based on the number of students they happen to have at their school and instead classifies based on how good/competitive the team is relative to the rest of the state.

Alternatively, just cop to the fact it's way to make more $$ for the IH$A.

Isn't that the snowflake system?? Morton cant compete in 8A, let them go play schools of 1000 kids instead.

Without putting anytime into it and kinda guessing, how about this 7A district?

Alton
Belleville East
Belleville West
Pekin
Normal Community
Rock Island
Bradley
LWE

Was thinking pre LWN closing, so toss in LWW and same example..

Same thing in 4A, in the mock the IHSA did, Joliet/Kankakee area teams were in the same district as Peoria and Bloomington area teams. So in example of Coal City, no longer playing local rivals like Manteno and Plano, but get to make the 2 hour trek to Canton.

Why does a district have to be 8 teams?
It could be 4, leaving space for the traditional conferences, rivalries, etc.
Then, those groups of 4 could face another group (1v4, 2v3 ...) in week 9.
Plus, you could re-shuffle after 2 years (at least in the Chicago area).

What am I missing here? Seems like the one thing here that everyone agrees with is that the IHSA is a bunch of bumbling clowns.. but now lets put them in charge of everyone's schedule?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT