ADVERTISEMENT

Intriguing 1st rd games

WSF is a very good team but to say 1 loss I don't agree with. WSF lost to DGN who York handled pretty easily, They also lost to Fenwick. And I'd take Kankakee and BR so I'd say 4 losses and very battle tested.

I'll agree with two losses. I believe York beats SF and Fenwick did beat them somehow.
On the flip side, Naz lost to Rice and Kankakee by 1 and 7 points respectively. I watched the Kankakee game and Naz had a legit chance to win. Naz was beaten soundly by St Francis. Based on the fool proof transitive property, I would take SF against both Kankakee and Rice.

Naz lost to Rice and Kankakee by 1 and 7 points respectively. I watched the Kankakee game and Naz had a legit chance to win. Naz was beaten soundly by St Francis. Based on the fool proof transitive property, I would take SF against both Kankakee and Rice.
Naz Beat Rice. BR manhandles Rita who STF only beat by 3. They also lost to Fenwick. That's why they play the games. Especially because Francis had 2 losses on their own schedule.

Naz Beat Rice. BR manhandles Rita who STF only beat by 3. They also lost to Fenwick. That's why they play the games.
My bad, but that only strengthens my argument. I presume you watched more Naz games then I did, so i respect your opinion. I am just basing my argument on the numbers.

LWW will ground and pound. Hoffman will have to get a lead in hopes of winning because LWW does not give you many possessions.

My bad, but that only strengthens my argument. I presume you watched more Naz games then I did, so i respect your opinion. I am just basing my argument on the numbers.
Removing the transitive property…tough to say that SF wouldn’t fare better than Naz did against their schedule given SF beat Naz soundly. It’s less of a hypothetical because they played 3 days ago and SF beat them by 3 scores.

To come back with “well what would WSFs record be if they played Naz’s schedule?” The only logical answer given they played 72 hours ago and we know the result, is “better than Naz did”. It’s that simple.

Reactions: USD24
Cause the transitive property definitely applies to sports..... :/
I was being sarcastic :rolleyes:.

But, as was pointed out above, based on the fact that SF beat up on Naz, I am pretty confident they would fare much better than Naz did with their schedule.

Speed, speed, and more speed.

Sellers is their best player IMO, but they also have Quincy Williams and Matt Lawson. All three are gamebreakers. Their QB Cleveland has a cannon and those receivers can get to the deep ball. Not a first round opponent I would want to see.

Their downfall? Defense. I can see LWW scoring a ton. They struggle stopping the run and are vanilla in coverage.
Yup. If LWW can make a few stops they will run away with it.

Battle-tested way back in August with losses against two elite 8A teams.
But in the last month, Devils have not worked up a sweat beating up on four league teams that when they were not playing each other went a combined 1-18 vs. the rest of the soft North Suburban Conference.
As for. The Reality in terms of preparing an 8A team for postseason play, the NSC does not do it.
It prepares Lake Zurich for 6a play but not Warren for 8A.
And that is an issue that never goes away. The league has 2 8A schools 1 7a school 2 6a schools and 3 teams that are always bad.
That’s not my definition of battle-tested.
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not (I haven't read the entire thread), but there are two different scenarios concerning an easy schedule towards the end of the season. One scenario is that you are not very "battle-tested." There is some truth to that. Teams can feel a little over confident. The second scenario is that the team rolled through the end of the season, starters rested second half, and they come into the playoffs very healthy. I'm not very familiar with Main South's conference, but I have been under the impression the conference is not very strong. Again, I could be wrong, I am not familiar with it. But I do know that Main South has done very well. Forget the fact that they have had plenty of illegal players. I'm sure it's a lot more than the public knows. But they were not "battle tested." Back in the day, Oswego's conference was not very strong. They consistently rolled through the conference and did well in the playoffs. I just don't know if "battle tested" and injured is better than not being "battle tested" and having a well rested healthy team.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not (I haven't read the entire thread), but there are two different scenarios concerning an easy schedule towards the end of the season. One scenario is that you are not very "battle-tested." There is some truth to that. Teams can feel a little over confident. The second scenario is that the team rolled through the end of the season, starters rested second half, and they come into the playoffs very healthy. I'm not very familiar with Main South's conference, but I have been under the impression the conference is not very strong. Again, I could be wrong, I am not familiar with it. But I do know that Main South has done very well. Forget the fact that they have had plenty of illegal players. I'm sure it's a lot more than the public knows. But they were not "battle tested." Back in the day, Oswego's conference was not very strong. They consistently rolled through the conference and did well in the playoffs. I just don't know if "battle tested" and injured is better than not being "battle tested" and having a well rested healthy team.
1. Don’t forget the “e” in Maine.
2. The conference is terrible this year.
3. Plenty of illegal players? Fact? Do you know them? Names?

Reactions: RockSoup
Most intriguing game in round 1? St Charles North at Bradley. This matchup is real interesting to me as it likely set ups a another great game in quarterfinals against GBE to play Batavia in the semis if they get past Normal in rd 2.
Bradley usually has a good YouTube livestream for its home games, even for the playoffs, I believe. Saturday @ 6pm.

Reactions: stl705
1. Don’t forget the “e” in Maine.
2. The conference is terrible this year.
3. Plenty of illegal players? Fact? Do you know them? Names?
1. My bad
2. Again, not very familiar with the conference.
3. Good point, I don't know anything factual. My son has former Maine South players on his dorm floor and they said this has been happening for years. I don't know them, I don't know their names.

I do believe it's nearly impossible for a public school to maintain that level of excellence for a long period of time without doing something shady. Eventually you would think there would be a bad year. If the incident that they got in trouble for was truly the only one, more power to them. Again this is just my opinion. My facts are based off a college student repeating dorm floor stories.

That being said, LWE has been good for awhile..........

1. My bad
2. Again, not very familiar with the conference.
3. Good point, I don't know anything factual. My son has former Maine South players on his dorm floor and they said this has been happening for years. I don't know them, I don't know their names.

I do believe it's nearly impossible for a public school to maintain that level of excellence for a long period of time without doing something shady. Eventually you would think there would be a bad year. If the incident that they got in trouble for was truly the only one, more power to them. Again this is just my opinion. My facts are based off a college student repeating dorm floor stories.

Using this logic LWE, East St. Louis, Morris, Lena-Winslow, Byron, Wulmington, Rochester, GBW, and other successful public school programs have also been cheating.

Reactions: Wolffan64
They have the natural elements of a long-time successful program without shenanigans.

1) HUGE numbers
2) Well Funded
3) Great Feeder Program

This means dozens of dudes who have been The Dude growing up are now fighting for a spot on the field.

What you imply, that they are importing talent, is not needed. If so, where are their D1 signees each year?

They just have a solid program.

Using this logic LWE, East St. Louis, Morris, Lena-Winslow, Byron, Wulmington, Rochester, GBW, and other successful public school programs have also been cheating.
I don't know anything about L-W, Byron, Wilmington, and Rochester, but ESL, Morris, and GW have had some ok years. Again, just my opinion, the logic is not very strong.

They have the natural elements of a long-time successful program without shenanigans.

1) HUGE numbers
2) Well Funded
3) Great Feeder Program

This means dozens of dudes who have been The Dude growing up are now fighting for a spot on the field.

What you imply, that they are importing talent, is not needed. If so, where are their D1 signees each year?

I said that jokingly. I think LWE is great. I'm jealous of their success.

Reactions: crusader_of_90
I can cherry pick a few of those schools where I have enough data to show that it can be accurate.

The Maine South stuff isn’t exactly a well kept secret. OPRF wrestling, hell, even Montini with some shady transfers over the years.

Let’s not pretend this doesn’t happen. It’s disingenuous.

1) HUGE numbers
2) Well Funded
3) Great Feeder Program

It's hard to understate the impact of the Park Ridge Falcons. That program has absolutely huge numbers, and the vast majority of them are from Park Ridge with a handful of kids from the Northwest Side or Morton Grove, etc. They grow up playing together and idolizing MS football. I would be shocked if there is a better feeder setup in the state ("better" in the sense of providing a high school program with a big, well developed talent pool).

What do the allegations against MS consist of? I would be absolutely unsurprised if every promising player in Des Plaines, Niles, Morton Grove, etc. was BEGGING there parents to rent an apartment in the MS district, which isn't really that scandalous. Back in my day the big rumor was that the whole team was on steroids.

I would be shocked if there is a better feeder setup in the state ("better" in the sense of providing a high school program with a big, well developed talent pool).
LWE and CG have impressive feeder programs as well and it definitely helps! Sustained success at the public schools definitely correlates to great youth football programs that stress system football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT