ADVERTISEMENT

Intriguing 1st rd games

sporthog9er

Jun 9, 2001
Share your picks on maybe some under the radar, potential interesting matchups that could prove to be entertaining games.

Games I'm looking forward to following:

Sandburg/Minooka
Bradley/SCN
DGN/Kenwood
Jacobs/LWC
Joliet West/Iggy
Warren/Oswego
York/HF

Let's see what teams can handle 4Q's of battling Warren agressive, physical & strong O&D line play. Warren play is not sexy but effective in playoff especially when the weather turns not so good. Hopefully six flags can stay open for a few more weeks 🎢💪🏾💯

Let's see what teams can handle 4Q's of battling Warren agressive, physical & strong O&D line play. Warren play is not sexy but effective in playoff especially when the weather turns not so good. Hopefully six flags can stay open for a few more weeks 🎢💪🏾💯
But can they score any points? That has been their downfall in the playoffs

In most of those games they have been heavy favorites against inferior opponents. In the games they have been eliminated in:
2017- 13
2018- 0
2019- 0
2021- 7
2022- 14
Can you correlate that to every other team in games they’ve lost? Seems to me, teams that lose don’t usually score a lot of points.

Reactions: mchsalumni
A few from my perspective

- Maine West vs. Collinsville: Maine West with its first undefeated season in forever, albeit probably playing in the worst conference in the state gets a winnable draw against a 5-4 downstate team

- GBS vs. Barrington: These two teams play a super tight game in week. If not for 2 untimely GBS turnovers, the Titan probably would have won

- Prairie Ridge vs. Naz: The toughest of game the playoffs for the 5A favorite will likely be in the first round

- Batavia vs. Brother Rice: Before the draw came out, I thought Batavia was the 7A favorite. Then I saw their draw. Their road to title could likely be: Brother Rice, LWC, Hononegh, Mt. Carmel, Hersey

Williamsville vs Tolono Unity
Coal City vs Normal U High
Breese Central vs Cahokia
Kewanee vs Peoria Notre Dame
Morton vs Providence Catholic
Metamora vs Decatur MacArthur
Normal West vs Chicago Simeon
Good picks, especially Williamsville vs. Tolono Unity, Morton vs. NLP, and Metamora vs. MacArthur.

I'm especially interested in the Redbirds/Generals game. If MacArthur keeps rolling like they have the last two games, I definitely see them winning this if they don't beat themselves. Can't believe Metamora has seen better team speed or running back this season.

The Bullets/Unity game is intriguing since they usually meet late in the playoffs.

Morton/NLP. I remember the Celtics' run last year entering the post-season at 5-4. Given the gauntlet they had to go through in the Class 4A North Bracket last year to reach the championship game, I was surprised that the Cyclones beat them by the amount they did. No such gauntlet for them to go through in the 5A South Bracket, but are they as good as they were this year?

P.S. We know why the Coal City/Normal U-High game interests you!

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketnation
Good picks, especially Williamsville vs. Tolono Unity, Morton vs. NLP, and Metamora vs. MacArthur.

I'm especially interested in the Redbirds/Generals game. If MacArthur keeps rolling like they have the last two games, I definitely see them winning this if they don't beat themselves. Can't believe Metamora has seen better team speed or running back this season.

The Bullets/Unity game is intriguing since they usually meet late in the playoffs.

Morton/NLP. I remember the Celtics' run last year entering the post-season at 5-4.

P.S. We know why the Coal City/Normal U-High game interests you!
I did pick several 4A south bracket games!

Most games will be blowout games and yet another year's reminder there are too many teams in the playoffs.

Reactions: 4Afan
In most of those games they have been heavy favorites against inferior opponents. In the games they have been eliminated in:
2017- 13
2018- 0
2019- 0
2021- 7
2022- 14
Every team that typically lose in 8A quarters, semi final and final .... play against the top seeds thus scores are pretty close or lower scoring games. Warren isl battle tested and will be a tough out. 💪🏾 🎢

Sounds like stating basic facts to me. Kind of a stretch to say he's complaining.
I feel like they are definitely focusing on the fact Belleville is a big town and Althoff is a private school, but that twitter post doesn’t seem overly inflammatory. Subtle jab at most.

Reactions: RoaminCatholic
Every team that typically lose in 8A quarters, semi final and final .... play against the top seeds thus scores are pretty close or lower scoring games. Warren isl battle tested and will be a tough out. 💪🏾 🎢
Battle-tested way back in August with losses against two elite 8A teams.
But in the last month, Devils have not worked up a sweat beating up on four league teams that when they were not playing each other went a combined 1-18 vs. the rest of the soft North Suburban Conference.
As for. The Reality in terms of preparing an 8A team for postseason play, the NSC does not do it.
It prepares Lake Zurich for 6a play but not Warren for 8A.
And that is an issue that never goes away. The league has 2 8A schools 1 7a school 2 6a schools and 3 teams that are always bad.
That’s not my definition of battle-tested.

Surprised there hasn't been more talk about Peoria vs. JCA. How is the Hilltoppers defense this year? Can the offense keep up with Peoria?

Battle-tested way back in August with losses against two elite 8A teams.
But in the last month, Devils have not worked up a sweat beating up on four league teams that when they were not playing each other went a combined 1-18 vs. the rest of the soft North Suburban Conference.
As for. The Reality in terms of preparing an 8A team for postseason play, the NSC does not do it.
It prepares Lake Zurich for 6a play but not Warren for 8A.
And that is an issue that never goes away. The league has 2 8A schools 1 7a school 2 6a schools and 3 teams that are always bad.
That’s not my definition of battle-tested.
So in 2019 they weren’t prepared? In 2022 they made the quarters, 2018 too. This league sends teams to the playoffs with success historically. Other than a couple of down years Stevenson win a state title and made regular quarterfinal and semifinal trips.

The 7A and 6A schools seem to fair pretty well as Lake Zurich was a semifinalist last year and a couple years back Libertyville made a state title game.

And in terms of Warren, this is a roster that turned over 18 from a year ago and yet, here they are.

This conference seemingly gets zero respect every playoff year and every year they send teams deep. Kinda get used to it after a while.

So in 2019 they weren’t prepared? In 2022 they made the quarters, 2018 too. This league sends teams to the playoffs with success historically. Other than a couple of down years Stevenson win a state title and made regular quarterfinal and semifinal trips.

The 7A and 6A schools seem to fair pretty well as Lake Zurich was a semifinalist last year and a couple years back Libertyville made a state title game.

And in terms of Warren, this is a roster that turned over 18 from a year ago and yet, here they are.

This conference seemingly gets zero respect every playoff year and every year they send teams deep. Kinda get used to it after a while.
As I clearly stated the league prepares teams well in the non 8A classes.
I mean lake Forest, lake zurich, libertyville all benefit from playing Warren and Stevenson during the regular season and that is reflected in their postseason successes.
I m saying that the north suburban does not make an 8A playoff team battle tested. That is exactly why Warren always plays two challenging games to start the year. They know the league is soft from an 8A perspective which is my only point.
If you think playing the entire month of October vs softballs is a good way to prepare for the postseason then good for you.

Reactions: FalconPadre
As I clearly stated the league prepares teams well in the non 8A classes.
I mean lake Forest, lake zurich, libertyville all benefit from playing Warren and Stevenson during the regular season and that is reflected in their postseason successes.
I m saying that the north suburban does not make an 8A playoff team battle tested. That is exactly why Warren always plays two challenging games to start the year. They know the league is soft from an 8A perspective which is my only point.
If you think playing the entire month of October vs softballs is a good way to prepare for the postseason then good for you.
And I m not picking on just Warren and the phrase battle rested.
Check out Normal which is 9-0 and looks like a powerhouse in 7a that is averaging 45 plus points per game.
Reality is normal has beaten up on 4A 5a and 6a teams all season. They are a solid 0-0 vs. 7a teams and a solid 0-0 vs 8A teams.
I would challenge anyone who says they are battle tested.
Obviously you can only play who is on your schedule.
I m only challenging saying a team is ready for a deep playoff run when their record against quality football schools their size does not really suggest that.

Reactions: Wolffan64
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT