ADVERTISEMENT

Interstate 8 Week Two Preview

Wilmatucky

Nov 1, 2017
Wilmington
Here are my thoughts on the I-8 week two matchups. Hard to gauge some of the teams early, but will still give it the old college try. Should start to get a better idea in after this week once there have been more conference matchups.

Manteno @Lisle- Not too sure what to expect out of this one since Lisle beat a pretty bad Harvard squad in week one. I don't think that Lisle has a huge home field advantage here and Manteno did lose to possibly the best team in the conference so I am going to say Manteno wins in a game that is more one-sided than the score actually reflects. Panthers 28 Lisle 14

Peotone @Tinley Park HS- Although Peotone seems to have improved recently and the program is going in the right direction, I don't think they will have the depth to hang with a school with the enrollment of Tinley. From what I know, Tinley seems to be an average 5A school. If they were awful I think it could be done. Not this year for the 'tone though. Tinley 35 Peotone 24

Harvard @Sandwich- Sandwich impressed in their opener and as I previously stated Harvard is bad. I like Sandwich to keep their momentum going here. Sandwich 42 Harvard 7

Marengo @Plano- Plano dropped a tough one to ACC and it's always tough to gauge their level due to the tough competition they play. I am familiar with Marengo's coach and not impressed with his abilities. Plano isn't a powerhouse but I think they pull this one out here. Plano 21-Marengo 20

Morton @Streator- Honestly really don't know much about either team here. Similar enrollments, similar track record recently. Can't really make a great decision, so I will take the I-8 team. This could be a huge game for Streator too if they want to qualify for the playoffs this year. Streator 21 Morton 17

Clifton @Herscher- Herscher is tough, but Clifton is typically tough too........I like the Tigers to take the home victory as this rivalry is rekindled. Herscher 38 Clifton 10

Chicago Brooks @Braidwood- Gimme game of the week! Or is it??????? I don't want to be overly negative here, but its hard not to. This should be Reed Custer's only guaranteed win of the year. But you never know with a CPS school. They did actually win last week. Maybe they have a ton of athletes? Maybe not.......As much as I don't like to pick RC I will. It's not gonna be as easy as they think though......Braidwood 28 Brooks 21

Game of the week!!!!!!!!

Coal City @Wilmington- Wilmington is riding high after avenging the loss to Manteno from last year. I don't think the Morris loss is going to affect CC that much, but I see Wilmo as being too stout for the Coalers (especially at Becker Field).......Cats in a physical game......Wilmo 35 Coal City 20

That's it for week 2. Feel free to criticize and discuss.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Lisle over Manteno. I think Manteno is going to lose some big close games all year.

Tinley over Peotone. I agree with your assessment of that match up. Think Peotone will get wore down late

Sandwich big over Harvard. Harvard is bad and I am on the Sandwich bandwagon after their 41 point output last week. I honestly think Sandwich can win 5 or 6 games and reach the playoffs, they may need 6 for that though. Non Conference opponents will not get them many playoff points

Streator over Morton. Streator will probably lose since I picked them to win, coin flip game

Herscher big over Clifton. Herscher fine tunes against a few average small school teams. Still think Herscher is good enough to challenge for the large title

RC squeaks by Brooks. Braidwood sole win of the year. May even lose this one. Never know with the CPS

Coal City over Wilmington. (I never pick against the Coalers no matter what) CC learned a lot in last weeks loss, I think our line play will be much better this Friday night. Reents definitely has CC number though. 16-6 against the Coalers and hasn't lost to them since 2012 (13-12). CC is a little banged up but I see them pulling out a narrow 21-20 victory

Interesting in that Soucie picks Coal City over Wilmington although the game is being played at Wilmington. I am picking Wilmington.

Lisle over Manteno. I think Manteno is going to lose some big close games all year.

Tinley over Peotone. I agree with your assessment of that match up. Think Peotone will get wore down late

Sandwich big over Harvard. Harvard is bad and I am on the Sandwich bandwagon after their 41 point output last week. I honestly think Sandwich can win 5 or 6 games and reach the playoffs, they may need 6 for that though. Non Conference opponents will not get them many playoff points

Streator over Morton. Streator will probably lose since I picked them to win, coin flip game

Herscher big over Clifton. Herscher fine tunes against a few average small school teams. Still think Herscher is good enough to challenge for the large title

RC squeaks by Brooks. Braidwood sole win of the year. May even lose this one. Never know with the CPS

Coal City over Wilmington. (I never pick against the Coalers no matter what) CC learned a lot in last weeks loss, I think our line play will be much better this Friday night. Reents definitely has CC number though. 16-6 against the Coalers and hasn't lost to them since 2012 (13-12). CC is a little banged up but I see them pulling out a narrow 21-20 victory

Herscher is in the small.....Huge game for the Cats when they play..........But solid assessment. Like I said should be a little more clear as they all start playing each other.

Herscher is in the small.....Huge game for the Cats when they play..........But solid assessment. Like I said should be a little more clear as they all start playing each other.

Keep on forgetting they dropped down this year. Next few weeks will separate the contenders from the pretenders. It will be interesting to see where Sandwich and Streator falls in those categories.

Interesting in that Soucie picks Coal City over Wilmington although the game is being played at Wilmington. I am picking Wilmington.

I was shocked too, CC rarely gets picked to win over Wilmington since it hasn't happened lately. I think CC losing to a team 21-7 who would win the I8 Large or Small gained the Coalers some brownie points Lol

Start with the bottom.......

Comets over CPS team...I just can't pick a CPS team...who went 1-8 last year and beat a non-playoff eligible team week 1...

Sandwich over Harvard...Sandwich hammered a bad 5A school week 1, Harvard got hammered by Lisle...Indians better week 1 than I thought...

Plano over Marengo...Marengo hammered by Sterling week 1, Plano loses by 2 to ACC...why? good question, idk...could be Plano's only win...

Herscher over Clifton Central...traditional rivalry which the Tigers nowadays don't get much out of other than glorified scrimmage...I believe Momence is much better than Central this year, and the Tigers pummeled the Redskins last week...

Tinley over Peotone...sometimes tough just gets overrun, last year maybe, not this year...

Morton over Streator...idk, pick em

Manteno over Lisle...Lisle has an advantage at home on the turf. That said, Manteno in the mist had three really good drives against Wilmington, while Lisle hammered a bad Harvard squad. Manteno in better weather should throw a little more accurately, while their running game should step up a little bit more. Meanwhile Lisle's D will not be as stout as Wilmo's either. I was impressed by Manteno's D-line making most of the tackles against Wilmo as well...

Coal City over Wilmington...the arch-rivals battle again. Somehow, in a classic battle, I get the feeling that the Wildcats' problems kicking xp is going to bite them (3xp just smothered by Manteno last week...) Not likely to be any surprises in this game...

Start with the bottom.......

Comets over CPS team...I just can't pick a CPS team...who went 1-8 last year and beat a non-playoff eligible team week 1...

Sandwich over Harvard...Sandwich hammered a bad 5A school week 1, Harvard got hammered by Lisle...Indians better week 1 than I thought...

Plano over Marengo...Marengo hammered by Sterling week 1, Plano loses by 2 to ACC...why? good question, idk...could be Plano's only win...

Herscher over Clifton Central...traditional rivalry which the Tigers nowadays don't get much out of other than glorified scrimmage...I believe Momence is much better than Central this year, and the Tigers pummeled the Redskins last week...

Tinley over Peotone...sometimes tough just gets overrun, last year maybe, not this year...

Morton over Streator...idk, pick em

Manteno over Lisle...Lisle has an advantage at home on the turf. That said, Manteno in the mist had three really good drives against Wilmington, while Lisle hammered a bad Harvard squad. Manteno in better weather should throw a little more accurately, while their running game should step up a little bit more. Meanwhile Lisle's D will not be as stout as Wilmo's either. I was impressed by Manteno's D-line making most of the tackles against Wilmo as well...

Coal City over Wilmington...the arch-rivals battle again. Somehow, in a classic battle, I get the feeling that the Wildcats' problems kicking xp is going to bite them (3xp just smothered by Manteno last week...) Not likely to be any surprises in this game...

I know it's hard to pick a CPS team but it's also really hard to pick RC! People hate the term must-win game, but this is as close to one as it gets.

Just my opinion but I think the Small division is really a close group. Wilmo is the favorite but I think its better than the large this year

Just my opinion but I think the Small division is really a close group. Wilmo is the favorite but I think its better than the large this year

I agree with that........Herscher going down really helps it.....still just looking forward to next year with just one conference and getting your two non-con games in.....like the good old days.

Let's be realistic...Westmont leaving massively improved the small division all by itself...Seneca hadn't been very good for a while either...there might...err should be three smalls make the playoffs...

1) Wilmo Coal City
2) Herscher Manteno
3) Lisle Streator
4) Peotone Sandwich
5) RC Plano

I think RC can win. They had a respectable score week 1 on the road vs a playoff team from the HOIC.

Lisle beating Manteno was a big win for them, should be interesting next week when Wilmo goes up there. 530 start for todays CC/Wilmo game is not opportune. More storms coming in. Hopefully they can still get it in tonight

Coal City 27, Wilmington 0 F
I can't remember the last time Wilmington was shut out. The small division seems pretty tough this year. The Wildcats have some work to do.

Edit: Last shut out was 2007, a 14-0 loss to Coal City per the IHSA website

Last edited:
Lisle beating Manteno was a big win...but the Daily Journal said that the Panther's backup was playing instead of Warren...I don't particularly trust the Daily Journal nowadays, however...Obviously a huge difference for the Panthers...

Also goes to show you the difference Coal City faced week 1 with a power running 4A/5A border Morris versus 3A Wilmo...Morris got thumped by Washington...

And you can score 46 points if you find a bad enough opponent...congrats to RC on thumping Brooks...

Playing Morris week 1 was a huge benefit. Got CC physically ready for Wilmington and it showed. CC controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides the entire game. Was surprised coming out of halftime that Wilmington showed zero urgency to try to get back in the game

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT